• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Chiefs, Round 13, 21 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jack Debreczeni continuing to have a shocking year. In past we had Hegarty on bench putting pressure on no one doing it this year.

Two grubbers from Fainga'a my goodness.

Mike Harris scored a try and made a great break for Hodge try. He, Timani, McMahon and Hodge probably only positives.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd like to see two changes next week: Harris to 10 and SMac to captain.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Chiefs will be happy to get the win and go to the break top of the conference but they had a significant period of time when they appeared to coast. Something to be discussed next week I think.

EDIT: Jumped the gun, still another round before the break! But the point remains.

EDIT 2: How perfect was Nick Strzaker's hair in the post match interview. Backs, I'm sure they have haircombs in their socks.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Rebs did well to get some fingers in the dyke after halftime when the Chiefs are in one of those moods.

maxresdefault.jpg

The 4 remaining Melbourne Rebels after 40 minutes, bewildered after the Chiefs opened the floodgates in the first half. Looks to be Ben Meehan mum and the dog.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Is it now not becoming clear or clearer that McGahan is a myth?

Isn't this his third season with the Rebels? Aren't we rightly meant to see 'serious improvements' in a Super side in a coach's Year 2 and a breakthrough to 'really playing well and getting to Finals' in Year 3?

Furthermore, it's widely reported that the Rebels existence to date has cost over $22m. Is 'ROI' a KPI on the walls anywhere?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^McGahan was shit at Munster, complete midth. Has allowed to much quality players to depart Pyle, Neville, PAE, Higgers and Hegarty would all be in the 23 if still at the club. With 4 of them startging at the moment.

Rebels need to look at poaching QC (Quade Cooper), need one half who is Super Rugby ready. Need Higgers back to captain the side and need some players to stand up.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who did the ruck work against the Chiefs?

2016-05-23_6-50-51.jpg

Remember:
1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.

Involvements over time

2016-05-23_6-50-09.jpg

Best efforts by Backs:
Hodge - 16 Total (16 Attack/0Defence)
Inman - 13 T (12A/1 D)

Most Ruck Involvements from Round 13.

2016-05-23_6-07-24.jpg

2016-05-23_6-06-38.jpg

As usual the table is dominated by Back Rowers - plus 3 Front Rowers and 3 Locks.

Only 4 players from this list were in the 2015 RWC squad.
If you recall the Wallabies were totally worked over at the breakdown by the ABs in the RWC Final.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
According to Wayne Smith, looks like JD might be out of the 23 this weekend. Give the sub-par performance on the weekend, I'm not surprised.

Melbourne Rebels coach Tony McGahan’s patience with five-eighth Jack Debreczini looks to have finally run out and almost certainly he will be dropped from Sunday afternoon’s clash against the Western Force at AAMI Park.

McGahan declined to comment on Debreczini’s performance against the Chiefs in Hamilton on Saturday night, but he has steadfastly supported his five-eighth through thick and thin this season, so it may be that his silence is ominous indeed.

Article link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...i/news-story/ec516a553405f1faed28509655429291

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
According to Wayne Smith, looks like JD might be out of the 23 this weekend. Give the sub-par performance on the weekend, I'm not surprised.

Article link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...i/news-story/ec516a553405f1faed28509655429291
JD seems to be a confidence player and his confidence seems shot.

A few club games, with instructions to go at the line every chance he gets might be a good thing for him.

Mikey will do a good job at 10. Hopefully, Ellison comes back in and Hodge moves to 15.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Agree Mr W!

Here's the mystery thing for me - where was Tamati on the weekend? I didn't think he was injured, nor was there any report to that effect. The only thing I could think of was his newborn. I don't think he's had some time off to be a new Dad (albeit, he's done it a few times before) and it's probably well-overdue to him.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tamati - Gone in 2017 - Dropped
Jones - Gone in 2017 - Dropped

Would not surprise me if TT was giving others a chance, after all he left Pyle on the bench for a season as punishment for signing in France. Now Pyle has resigned and could be French capped by the end of 2017.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Tamati - Gone in 2017 - Dropped
Jones - Gone in 2017 - Dropped

Would not surprise me if TT was giving others a chance, after all he left Pyle on the bench for a season as punishment for signing in France. Now Pyle has resigned and could be French capped by the end of 2017.
If you're right I totally get it, especially now that our chances of playing finals are just about zero.

I would still prefer us to field the best team possible though and see how many games we can win out of these last four.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^Was never promising enough that letting Hegarty go should have happened. Now this season with Harris missing we had no one to replace JD and have suffered.

Stirzaker at least has returning from injury to blame for the first few weeks, has looked out of place all season though. Don't think captaincy suits him.

Was talking to Tim about doing a Rebs report card at the end of the year. Will be some harsh words for a few players to be honest. Some have gone backwards or not improved at all.

Hodge, Smith, Hanson are really the only shining lights to the season for me. Back row has been solid.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I walk into my office this morning, turn on my TV (doesn't everyone have one?) and it comes up on Fox Sports 2 showing a replay of the Chiefs v Rebels. That channel changed mighty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.