• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2023

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I am envious of the Queensland system, being able to pluck a boy out of obscurity, undeveloped (not sure how they even found him in Vic as he was undeveloped), then send him home completely developed three years later. That's efficiency.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Ouch. Missed the soft underbelly though. e.g.

Where is Loeriesfontein? That's in Scotland.
It was humorous reading Mosese's comments about his Scottish granny which were a little less intense than some of the articles coming out of the UK about Sione representing his grandma.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am envious of the Queensland system, being able to pluck a boy out of obscurity, undeveloped (not sure how they even found him in Vic as he was undeveloped), then send him home completely developed three years later. That's efficiency.
Look, I'm not sure we can really know if QLD did send him home "completely developed" given the Rebels broke him immediately on receipt.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Reece hadn't played Super Rugby the year before he made the Wallabies.

He played for the Rebels before his Wallabies selection in 2016.

Reece also played a starring role in the NRC in 2015. I still remember how he out-played swede Johansen up at Manly - huge game from Reece.

My point - the third tier gave him some wider exposure to help him push for rep teams. Mason has played Club, albeit in a premiership side.

Another example of how a third tier can benefit Australian Rugby.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

I was actually looking at this the other day, I cant see if he has been inj or not. Hasn't played a game at all for quins this yr. Don't worry he def will be on Eddie's radar. He won't be capped before the rwc so could be an option to replace Hodge at 15 for us come 2024.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
man, Kerevi met with the Rebels last week and was 'impressed' but the money wasn't good enough.

Monty and Kellaway running off Kerevi. :(

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
He played for the Rebels before his Wallabies selection in 2016.

Reece also played a starring role in the NRC in 2015. I still remember how he out-played swede Johansen up at Manly - huge game from Reece.

My point - the third tier gave him some wider exposure to help him push for rep teams. Mason has played Club, albeit in a premiership side.

Another example of how a third tier can benefit Australian Rugby.
I was at that game in Manly - was a cracker. I remember thinking, who is this Reece Hodge chap?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was actually looking at this the other day, I cant see if he has been inj or not. Hasn't played a game at all for quins this yr. Don't worry he def will be on Eddie's radar. He won't be capped before the rwc so could be an option to replace Hodge at 15 for us come 2024.
Just returning from injury now after 2 knee surgeries:

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
man, Kerevi met with the Rebels last week and was 'impressed' but the money wasn't good enough.

Monty and Kellaway running off Kerevi. :(

Even with RA top-up? Surely there has to be a network of old boys who can tip some cash in?

Edit: just saw the roar article, explains it all.

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Hooker:
Jordan Uelese (2023)
Anaru Rangi (2024)
Alex Mafi (2024)
Theo Fourie (2023?)

Prop:

Cabous Eloff (2024)
Pone Fa'amausili (2023)
Cameron Orr (2023)
Sam Talakai (2024)
Isaac Aedo Kailea (2023?)

Jaiden Christian (2023?)
Matt Gibbon

Lock:
Trevor Hosea (2023)

Matt Philip (2023)
Daniel Maiava (2024)
Josh Canham (2023?)
Tuaina Taii Tualima (2024)

Backrow:

Josh Kemeny (2023)
Rob Leota (2023)
Richard Hardwick (2023)
Zac Hough (2023)
Brad Wilkin (2024)
Leafi Talataina (2023?)
Tamati Ioane (2023?)

Scrumhalf:
Moses Sorovi (2023)

James Tuttle (2024)
Ryan Louwrens (2023?)

Flyhalf:
Mason Gordon (2023)
Carter Gordon (2024)

Centre:

Lukas Ripley (2023)
David Vaihu (2023)
Stacey Ili (2023)
Divad Palu (2023?)

Wing:
Lachie Anderson (2023)
Illy Vudogo (2023)
Andrew Kellaway (2024)
Glen Vaihu (2024)
Monty Ioane (2023)

Fullback:
Reece Hodge (2023)

happy to help
This list contains 2 Victorians (Hosea and Kailea). One who was targeted with a scholarship to finish his last couple of years at school and then immediately moved back to Vic. Another that only moved to QLD at the start of Covid to get game time because the Vic season was abandoned.

Pretty sure Talakai was born, schooled and played SS before moving to QLD for a pro contract.

A lot of pinching at Rebels but these aren’t some. Besides who cares, no other rugby comp or sport seems to care like we do in Aus. Half the Crusaders team isn’t even from the area

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
This list contains 2 Victorians (Hosea and Kailea). One who was targeted with a scholarship to finish his last couple of years at school and then immediately moved back to Vic. Another that only moved to QLD at the start of Covid to get game time because the Vic season was abandoned.

Pretty sure Talakai was born, schooled and played SS before moving to QLD for a pro contract.

A lot of pinching at Rebels but these aren’t some. Besides who cares, no other rugby comp or sport seems to care like we do in Aus. Half the Crusaders team isn’t even from the area
Cool, didn't know Kailea was Victorian!

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Problem is, if you have ever gone on a family holiday to the Gold Coast and go on to make anything of your life the bloody Cane Toads claim you. I mean Greg Inglis and Alan Border are some famous Queenslanders…….

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It was humorous reading Mosese's comments about his Scottish granny which were a little less intense than some of the articles coming out of the UK about Sione representing his grandma.
Folks always say what benefits them the most. I've got no problem with Sione playing things up if he feels he needs to justify himself: certainly looking at the vision during the anthem at Murrayfield there was more than enough passion to feel happy with that.

Mosese is obviously still 3 years younger than Sione was when he made that decision and unlike his big bro, who had to deal with the bloated 18/19 Rebels squad, he's got the inside run at a Super Rugby starting spot.

Regardless, it all rolls off the back for me now. Unlike 2-8 years ago, where a lot of fairly average players on 3 year residency or some granny they didn't really know or care about were playing for us, the "foreigners" left are a really solid group of individuals who have good reason to want to play for us and, Duhan aside, complement a genuine Scottish core rather than being the big strength of the side or a crutch to lean on due to lack of depth.

(I am indeed deliberately ignoring McConnochie whom I disagree with calling up and can only justify from a combination of many injuries, McGuigans swap to Namibia and Rufus McLean being a despicable human being, and Healey who I am fairly happy to have around while Hastings & Thomson are unavailable, but still see as competing for 3rd string with the BK)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Problem is, if you have ever gone on a family holiday to the Gold Coast and go on to make anything of your life the bloody Cane Toads claim you. I mean Greg Inglis and Allan Border are some famous Queenslanders…….

Let's not forget Greg Chappell, Jeff Thomson AND Ray Lindwall.

I flew over Queensland once, does that make me a Cane Toad?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Let's not forget Greg Chappell, Jeff Thomson AND Ray Lindwall.

I flew over Queensland once, does that make me a Cane Toad?

You'll only be tinged, unfortunately. Solve the problem next time and land. You don't really need to get off the plane.