• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Will be really interesting to see how the Brumbies manage four key departures.

Their ability to find value in the Murray Douglas/Andy Muirhead/Connal McInerney types of recent years will be called upon again, massively.

But you'd back them to get it done and stay ultra-competitive.

Interestingly, the Rebels had 4 Wallabies picked and the Force none (Rodda would have been picked). Will almost certainly be more Rebels in Australia A than the Force as well, you'd think.

Every time the brumbies lose key players they surprise with the next batch of players they bring in or develop up to replace them. I am super impressed with the brumbies as tahs fan but supporter of all oz rugby teams but without doubt impressed by Brumbies way ahead of any other oz side for the way they identify, develop and manage talent.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
To me the brumbies should give hope for rhe force and rebels as they have a very small low catchment of players to rely on but excellent ability to identify, attract and develop talent from outside the ACT alongside local talent.

Brumbies prove it can be done. Rebels have some good local pathways developed as well so the building blocks are there. Coaching side had question marks for some time as Wessels was a flop and Foote TBc
The first thing that gives me hope is the fact the local lads want to stick it out at the Rebels. Valetini felt like the Brumbies were the better option and has become a star. Good luck to him as a Victorian I am proud to see him have success.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Coaching side had question marks for some time as Wessels was a flop and Foote TBc
Let's face it, except for Hill who was pushed out the door by the ARU cause they needed somewhere for McGahan to see out his contract the Rebels coaching selection has been poor and poorer

Foote - Flop
Wessels - Flop
McGahan - Flop
Hill - Wouldn't call a flop, needed some better coaches around him. Did the right thing having him as an assistant year one and could have really progressed like Coleman will if given more time.
Macqueen - Was only a temp gig

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Let's face it, except for Hill who was pushed out the door by the ARU cause they needed somewhere for McGahan to see out his contract the Rebels coaching selection has been poor and poorer

Foote - Flop
Wessels - Flop
McGahan - Flop
Hill - Wouldn't call a flop, needed some better coaches around him. Did the right thing having him as an assistant year one and could have really progressed like Coleman will if given more time.
Macqueen - Was only a temp gig
Thanks Kevin0 can’t even remember hill but that may have been living overseas and watching less oz rugby. It seems a lot of things going right for rebels off field with exception of confidence got the coaching right. But maybe with support Foote could be alright. Not convinced but I am less close to others to judge and rebels coaching gig would not be an easy one. With all the injuries Foote probably deserves another season to see if he can improve as a coach as this is his first head pro coach role right?

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
These have mostly re-signed or at least not announced they're leaving.
1. Orr
2. Uelese
3. Fa'amausili
4. Hosea
5. Philip
6. Kemney
7. Wilkin
8. Leota
9. Tuttle
10. Gordon
11. Vaihu
12. To'omua
13. Ripley
14. Kellaway
15. Hodge
16. Mafi
17. Orr
18. Eloff
19. Canham
20. Hardwick
21. Sorovi
22. Jooste
23. Anderson

Pretty thin so far, an injury or two away from disaster which inevitably will happen. A lot riding on potential and 'could be great' like Gordon, Ripley, Hosea etc..

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
perhaps he wants to see if the rumours of Nella's arrival are true?

Thankfully big Pone has already linked with Wests up here in Brisbane. Would look good in a QLD jersey.
Disappointing that his not playing his club rugby here, smart move on a 1 year deal. Stays for the RWC and then takes a 2 year French money deal before returning for the 2027 RWC.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Disappointing that his not playing his club rugby here,

Do you want the rebels to get better?

Sending your cattle down to Victoria club rugby wont help with their development.

I admire what Foote/Stiles are doing with rebels players in QPR (because they are swallowing their pride for the greater good of team)

One of the reason why the brumbies are successful could be linked back to the Canberra vikings participation in QPR. Helps get the boys outside of the match day 22 with some gametime against the closest competition level to super rugby.

I think the rebels are following a similar strategy to the Canberra Vikings… the next step for rebels should be entering their own team into QPR.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Do you want the rebels to get better?

Sending your cattle down to Victoria club rugby wont help with their development.

I admire what Foote/Stiles are doing with rebels players in QPR (because they are swallowing their pride for the greater good of team)

One of the reason why the brumbies are successful could be linked back to the Canberra vikings participation in QPR. Helps get the boys outside of the match day 22 with some gametime against the closest competition level to super rugby.

I think the rebels are following a similar strategy to the Canberra Vikings… the next step for rebels should be entering their own team into QPR.
As much as I love our local comp (go Quins!), it is not at a high enough level to benefit Super Rugby players. Perhaps if more Rebels played in the Dewar Shield comp that would raise the level but that is not how it should work.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I doubt that was a reason for the Brumbies' success - they had players spread around between the Kookaburras/Vikings and Shute Shield over a number of years.

And since 2012 they've been exclusively aligned with the John I Dent Cup in Canberra.

The Rebels should be following a similar path and helping to boost their own local competition, and thus attracting better quality players to those clubs.