• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2023

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Hodge and Philip were VC this year,

I think Hodge will get captaincy, also think Hodge is more deserving at this stage as his been with the club since 2016 and hopefully will be the first Rebel to reach 100 caps next season.
No fears about captaining from the back?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Or you could say there is leadership. Sometimes it’s easy to just go along and not change anything because it is easy. I feel 2023 will be the season Stiles has more involvement in the roster.
My point was if the players voted in Wells a fringe player it doesn’t suggest they have much confidence in other senior players to fill that role. I wasn’t sold on Wells as captain but thought he did a good job

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i worry about both of those from a rugby smarts perspective, not doubting their courage, commitment or caharacter, just the on field decision making.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I prefer a forwards captain, maybe 9 or 10 if you are going with a back. At least someone who can play close to 80 minutes.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting how the journalist in question changed the tone of the signing and his outlook after his first tweet (see below):

View attachment 13769
how did he change his tone?

The first tweet was fairly straight factually.

THe 2nd tweet was a little more theoretical.

I actually agree with him. Rebels have done well out of this. Not the type of player desperately needed by the Force who have some great backrow talent (unless Stander is going too?) and didn't get a lot of game time at the Rebels which was indicative of his standing there.

Tazzmania

Syd Malcolm (24)
and didn't get a lot of game time at the Rebels which was indicative of his standing there.
Screenshot 2022-06-10 102932.png

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
No fears about captaining from the back?
Prefer a froward, just heard some stuff about Philip and decision making that won't help his chances. Then there is no other forward whos going to play enough minutes to captain.

I think Hodge would have more backing if its a squad vote.

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
The transition had been happening in the last month of the season. Wells consistently one of the first forwards subbed off with 20-25 to go. Despite been the captain and an 80min player. Philip took the reigns from there.

Pretty confident it will be Philip but a bolter would be Wilkin.

Alex Ross (28)
It’s a bit strange to be hearing “didn’t get a lot of game time” and “fringe player” about Wells at Melbourne. He was consistently one of their best players in 2021. He’s played all but one game since moving to Melbourne and 1995 minutes out of a possible 2080 over the last 2 years!
It would seem perhaps his truth telling as a captain put a few people off side. But perhaps given the mediocre effort the rebels trot out with the talented roster they have (especially since 2018), some truth telling is what they need more than anything.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It’s a bit strange to be hearing “didn’t get a lot of game time” and “fringe player” about Wells at Melbourne. He was consistently one of their best players in 2021. He’s played all but one game since moving to Melbourne and 1995 minutes out of a possible 2080 over the last 2 years!
It would seem perhaps his truth telling as a captain put a few people off side. But perhaps given the mediocre effort the rebels trot out with the talented roster they have (especially since 2018), some truth telling is what they need more than anything.
that'd be my bad - I thought he really faded off at the end of the season but note he was still being picked.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
that'd be my bad - I thought he really faded off at the end of the season but note he was still being picked.
Some on here may take your views with a grain of salt on other non red threads…just saying..,seems they love you on brumbies and force threads…you must be an acquired taste…lol

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Van Nek I believe was part of the Rebels parting players tribute on awards night. Not 100% on this tho. Could be a good pick up for a few of the other Aus Super Rugby sides
Damn, I was expecting big things from him but understandable with Rebels glut of props.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Van Nek I believe was part of the Rebels parting players tribute on awards night. Not 100% on this tho. Could be a good pick up for a few of the other Aus Super Rugby sides
If he was you would think they would have included him in the article yesterday. Too much of a fringe player?

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
If he was you would think they would have included him in the article yesterday. Too much of a fringe player?
It’s just a conclusion I made from a photo I saw of him. Seen a few of the guys that are leaving awarded a framed plaque, Van Nek also had one, maybe complete coincidence and it was awarded for something else. But seemed unlikely as a one off.

Once again pure speculation.

If ends up being true, could understand with Pone and Cobous there and speculation of Talakai. He’s at a age where he needs to play regularly otherwise will be working a normal job before he knows it

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
It’s just a conclusion I made from a photo I saw of him. Seen a few of the guys that are leaving awarded a framed plaque, Van Nek also had one, maybe complete coincidence and it was awarded for something else. But seemed unlikely as a one off.

Once again pure speculation.

If ends up being true, could understand with Pone and Cobous there and speculation of Talakai. He’s at a age where he needs to play regularly otherwise will be working a normal job before he knows it

Again I stress I have absolutely no proof or understanding if true. Hopefully I’m made a fool and signs on again in the coming weeks
Alright video out in the last few minutes from the club for awards night

can prob add to the list moving

Jeral Skelton
George Worth
Emosi Tuqiri
Tom Nowlan