• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2023

Mick The Munch

Vay Wilson (31)
Wells to force hmmm thought strange at first but i guess chance for starting at 6 now FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Fergus Lee-Warner) left and assume competition with anstee…Jackson Pugh and Ollie Callan and Anstee as well creates a log jam for 8.

Surprised wells moving to force as did not see that coming…
Though shame to see him go, back row is one of our stronger areas. If everyone was fit Wells wouldn’t be a guaranteed starter, perhaps more coaching opportunities over there?

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rebels have Kemeny who will be hopeful fit next year. He’s at the stage where needs to be playing each week, they also see Canham as a potential 6. Add Leota and Ioane someone had to go. Obviously kept their highest profile (Leota), the guy who played the majority of the previous season at 6 and impressed (unfortunately injury ruled out entire season) and the 2 that are most happy to play squad member while they learn (Ioane/Canham).

Hardwick also someone that can fill in at 6/8 if there is lots of injuries

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebels have Kemeny who will be hopeful fit next year. He’s at the stage where needs to be playing each week, they also see Canham as a potential 6. Add Leota and Ioane someone had to go. Obviously kept their highest profile (Leota), the guy who played the majority of the previous season at 6 and impressed (unfortunately injury ruled out entire season) and the 2 that are most happy to play squad member while they learn (Ioane/Canham).

Hardwick also someone that can fill in at 6/8 if there is lots of injuries
I get that, but it’s odd that you name someone captain if you feel they are that marginal in the set up

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I always thought it was weird that Wells was captain, wasn't even in our best backrow this season. Slightly bereft for options I guess.

You'd assume To'omua will be captain next. Maybe Philip with more consistent minutes.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yes a bit odd, perhaps they were originally going to go for Too'mua again this year but were unsure as to his playing future (still only one head knock away from ending though). i really liked what Wells brought in rugby smarts and quiet effectiveness and his post match interviews, never an excuse. they may well feel he is no longer in the best 23 if they can get Ioane fit and Kemeny back, perhaps Isi is coming home (just dreaming). my reactions are a bit mixed, not great that you're dumping the skipper (effect on morale ?) but on the other hand finally a bit ruthless in who to keep in the squad.

and Powell going too

"Looking ahead to 2023, the Melbourne Rebels will enter next season retaining the majority of its 2022 playing squad and current Wallabies and Junior Wallabies representatives.
The Melbourne Rebels can also confirm it has some exciting announcements to make in the coming days regarding new player signings and retentions."

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems that way, maybe moving Wilkin to 6 & giving Leota 8 is on the cards.

However we are loosing a bloke that didn't miss a tackle for the past 2 years in a side that leaks points like a siv
But I wouldn’t say the back row has ever been the issue defensively

Tazzmania

Syd Malcolm (24)
Apparently Melbourne weren't interested in re-signing Wells:
Interesting how the journalist in question changed the tone of the signing and his outlook after his first tweet (see below):

Screenshot 2022-06-10 085143.png

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don’t think any team should keep someone on just because they are the captain. Wells was apparently peer-voted as captain, so obviously well-respected. For whatever reason(s), the Rebels didn’t see him as a long term option. Or maybe he chose to leave?

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t think any team should keep someone on just because they are the captain. Wells was apparently peer-voted as captain, so obviously well-respected. For whatever reason(s), the Rebels didn’t see him as a long term option. Or maybe he chose to leave?
Yeah I'm not fussed. Rebels need to be ruthless if they're to change anything.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s no knock on Wells, it more shows that their is a lack of leadership at the club

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It’s no knock on Wells, it more shows that their is a lack of leadership at the club
Or you could say there is leadership. Sometimes it’s easy to just go along and not change anything because it is easy. I feel 2023 will be the season Stiles has more involvement in the roster.