• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2023

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
As much as I love our local comp (go Quins!), it is not at a high enough level to benefit Super Rugby players. Perhaps if more Rebels played in the Dewar Shield comp that would raise the level but that is not how it should work.
We need the NRC back, any academy graduate who is overlooked will look to leave Melbourne for a comp that would provide them a better pathway

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Do you want the rebels to get better?

Sending your cattle down to Victoria club rugby wont help with their development.

I admire what Foote/Stiles are doing with rebels players in QPR (because they are swallowing their pride for the greater good of team)

One of the reason why the brumbies are successful could be linked back to the Canberra vikings participation in QPR. Helps get the boys outside of the match day 22 with some gametime against the closest competition level to super rugby.

I think the rebels are following a similar strategy to the Canberra Vikings… the next step for rebels should be entering their own team into QPR.
That doesn't actually reflect reality does it SX? For about 10 years now all of the Brumbies players have been allocated to a John I Dent club in the local Canberra competition. When not required for Super they play for their allotted team. It has resulted in a stronger local competition as well as keeping those players close to the Brumbies and under close scrutiny by the coaching staff. Win/win all round. Not at all similar to what the Rebels are doing and I reckon the difference is stark.

Arguably anyway, the Vikings improved the Hospital Cup rather than the other way round. Three premierships in a row wasn’t it?

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I doubt that was a reason for the Brumbies' success - they had players spread around between the Kookaburras/Vikings and Shute Shield over a number of years.

And since 2012 they've been exclusively aligned with the John I Dent Cup in Canberra.

The Rebels should be following a similar path and helping to boost their own local competition, and thus attracting better quality players to those clubs.

The brumbies didn’t get over the hump until 2004 (their last season/Vikings in QPR)

there’s definitely other reasons for their success (great player signings/good coaching etc)

surely you wouldn’t disagree with the statement that “qldpremierrugby was beneficial for brumbies fringe squad members”

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The brumbies didn’t get over the hump until 2004 (their last season/Vikings in QPR)

there’s definitely other reasons for their success (great player signings/good coaching etc)

surely you wouldn’t disagree with the statement that “qldpremierrugby was beneficial for brumbies fringe squad members”

The Brumbies didn't get over what hump until 2004?

The Vikings were back in Sydney that year...

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Certainly would disagree. As I said above, the Qld comp benefited more from the Brumbies players than the other way round. The Brumbies and their players have mutually benefited from having all players play locally when not needed for Super duties.

EDIT : and Imo the Rebels should do the same.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)

Arguably anyway, the Vikings improved the Hospital Cup rather than the other way round. Three premierships in a row wasn’t it?

Yes and this is how the rebels could improve their own team and local competitions by having a super rugby quality team playing in a tier3 rugby comp.
The ideal scenario is the NRC but I believe this is the best path forward. (Getting cattle exposure against legitimate competition)

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
We cant afford to run an NRC team or a team in a state comp, our deal with Wests is the best thing for us in the current situation. I get invested ppl in clubs in the hospital cup would really be annoyed but sending Carter Gordan to Moorabbin & Glen Viahu to Box Hill isnt going to help them become Wallabies & beat the lions in 3 years

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I doubt that was a reason for the Brumbies' success - they had players spread around between the Kookaburras/Vikings and Shute Shield over a number of years.

And since 2012 they've been exclusively aligned with the John I Dent Cup in Canberra.

The Rebels should be following a similar path and helping to boost their own local competition, and thus attracting better quality players to those clubs.
Yeh chicken and egg - as also don’t allow those players the benefit of developing playing in better competition with super rugby players. Especially now with no nrc. Maybe the answer is simply bring back the nrc so both win win (best local players with opportunity to play at higher level and rebels non wallabies opportunity to play at higher level closer to home (or based out of Melbourne with best local players in nrc squad)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
We cant afford to run an NRC team or a team in a state comp, our deal with Wests is the best thing for us in the current situation. I get invested ppl in clubs in the hospital cup would really be annoyed but sending Carter Gordan to Moorabbin & Glen Viahu to Box Hill isnt going to help them become Wallabies & beat the lions in 3 years
Yes, I can agree with that. But sending Pone to QLD when his already developed to this level through VIC rugby is why it's more disappointing.

Having local kids watch the local Rebels players at local grounds on a Saturday would be just as beneficial to the Rebels future as sending a player to QLD

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
To'omua off.
To'omua has been granted a release from the final year of his contract with Melbourne and Rugby Australia, after the 54-Test Wallaby was offered a multi-year deal to head north and play in the Top League.
To'omua was re-signed through to the 2023 Rugby World Cup in mid-2021 but after falling off the Wallabies radar recently under Dave Rennie, he was granted permission to test the market.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Some of these 1yr deals I wonder if players are hopeful of a tv rights increase and therefore some extra $$$ to start 2024.
And also increasing their value through play and other players leaving. If you competition leaves the country then you are worth more. Plus if he plays a role through the WC, his own value has gone up both here and overseas.

Definitely a good call for a 1 year extension

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
To'omua leaving is a problem for the Rebels but not for Rugby Australia who are probably happy to get that cash off the books.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
To'omua leaving is a problem for the Rebels but not for Rugby Australia who are probably happy to get that cash off the books.

The solution might be further on in that article.

Guy Porter is a genuine gun, I'd be throwing cash at him if I was Nick Stiles.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Yes, I can agree with that. But sending Pone to QLD when his already developed to this level through VIC rugby is why it's more disappointing.

Having local kids watch the local Rebels players at local grounds on a Saturday would be just as beneficial to the Rebels future as sending a player to QLD
I remember Lopeti Timani being targetted by weekend warriors who wanted to knock his block off every time he played for Footscray.

I remember hearing multiple stories of players twisting ankles in divots at suburban Victorian rugby grounds.

I think we want any players not with Wallabies, Aus A or Junior Wallabies to be playing at the highest level possible, with the best coaching possible. Eloff a great example - not eligible for those teams yet, wonderful he's playing in VIC as opposed to AU to help his continued development. Also helps to continue to develop young players in QLD who are exposed to Super Rugby talent. I don't mind if they're split amongst clubs or pooled somewhere like Wests, but I think it's better for them to be playing in QLD/NSW.

Last edited: