• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
According to Wayne Smith in The Australian Cheika is pretty ken to get Naivalu up to QLD to get him more game time in the lead up to the world cup:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...u/news-story/563ede5ccf90a1700e85710e4ebcc282

Goes on to say that the rebels and maybe Sefa as well weren't too interested.

Article also has Magnay as signed for the Rebels, as has been rumored for a while:

I really hope Sefa stays and fights his way back into the starting line up, in form I would be starting Sefa over Koroibete and Maddocks. Also not against the idea of playing him at 13, he destroyed teams in Dewar Shield and NRC in the 13 jersey.

Magnay should go to the Reds in my opinion, not going to say no but don't see how he would get in the 23. Would not be starting with a full squad available and would have a more versatile player on the bench.

dru

David Wilson (68)
According to Wayne Smith in The Australian Cheika is pretty ken to get Naivalu up to QLD to get him more game time in the lead up to the world cup:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...u/news-story/563ede5ccf90a1700e85710e4ebcc282

Goes on to say that the rebels and maybe Sefa as well weren't too interested.

Article also has Magnay as signed for the Rebels, as has been rumored for a while:

Reds don’t need another squad member fighting for center or wing. They do need a fullback.

Reactions: TSR

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I really hope Sefa stays and fights his way back into the starting line up, in form I would be starting Sefa over Koroibete and Maddocks. Also not against the idea of playing him at 13, he destroyed teams in Dewar Shield and NRC in the 13 jersey.

Magnay should go to the Reds in my opinion, not going to say no but don't see how he would get in the 23. Would not be starting with a full squad available and would have a more versatile player on the bench.

Tahs need an outside more than Reds and Rebels (or Brumbies for that matter).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds don’t need another squad member fighting for center or wing. They do need a fullback.
Do you think Cheika actually knows this but could imagine if he suggested Tahs instead....maybe code for Naivalu to go to the tahs as they are the only one really seeking a winger at the mo and money for a top class one.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Do you think Cheika actually knows this but could imagine if he suggested Tahs instead..maybe code for Naivalu to go to the tahs as they are the only one really seeking a winger at the mo and money for a top class one.

I think we second guess Cheika too much. He has a player who he thinks has a future and wants him to have game time. That’s good.

He thinks it ain’t going to happen at home so says hey let’s find a spot for this bloke. That’s good.

He says hey I’ll find a spot - HERE! That’s good.

Wrong place. Ah, not so good.

Cheika runs on emotion and that includes doing stuff for his boys. My favourite player, Quade, has been on the end of this often. Cheika puts in hard yards for the boys he wants available. It’s a very good thing.

Strong relevant emotional quotient. Less good with IQ.

I like him albeit he frustrates the fuck out of me.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I'd imagine Debrezceni will return to Australia, probably Sydney in the not so distant future. Here's hoping NZ can unlock more of his potential.

Does going to NZ do anything to his Wallaby eligibility? He's lived in Australia nearly all his life and I'd imagine considers himself more Aussie than Kiwi.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Sefa to Tahs is a no brainer for all involved. Tahs need him, he needs regular first team footy in a world cup year and Rebels are loaded with outside backs.

Agree fit and firing hes better than Koro.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sefa to Tahs is a no brainer for all involved. Tahs need him, he needs regular first team footy in a world cup year and Rebels are loaded with outside backs.

Agree fit and firing hes better than Koro.
Not for the Rebels. Why would we give NSW a leg up in Super rugby. They have done so much for us over the years when they have had excess talent in positions after all. It’s all for the national good now apparently.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not for the Rebels. Why would we give NSW a leg up in Super rugby. They have done so much for us over the years when they have had excess talent in positions after all. It’s all for the national good now apparently.
Financially it makes no sense having a Wallaby sitting out. Ask the Reds.

dru

David Wilson (68)

To hold back a talented player within the limited world of Aus rugby because it hurts an opponent - how piss poor is that? You have Genia and Quade. This has me very interested in this team. Let's back off the attitude.

ARU massaged Qld depths after 2011 to provide Higgenbotham. You reckon in Qld that was popular?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wouldn’t harbor any grudges if Sefa left for another Aus team. At the end of the day it’d be in the greater good of Aus rugby and would provide Semisi Tupou with more opportunities to develop his game. I’m a big believer that our 4 best scrum halves should be starting each week for our 4 sides, that reaches out to 8 best wingers in Sefa’s case, 4 best 10s, 4 best hookers, etc. opportunities will come to those not in the top few in each position through injuries and the odd rest periods.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
who's to say that both Naivalu and Koroibete wont be starters next year. Maddocks coming off the bench to play 10/15 as necessary.

dru

David Wilson (68)
who's to say that both Naivalu and Koroibete wont be starters next year. Maddocks coming off the bench to play 10/15 as necessary.

Have to say that Maddocks looks the goods. Let's manage his intro to pro rugby in a way that gives him the best chance imaginable. Could easily be something very special.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't think so. Wessels seems to prefer the second fullback option so I think it will be Koroibete and Maddocks for the most part. Although if Wessels watched the test last week he might have noticed that the two of them worked well together.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Rebs would be mad to let Sefa go.

If we've learnt anything from past Super successes, you need a squad of 26-27 blokes to win a title. It's crucial that the guys from 16-27 be decent, experienced players.

In previous years the Rebels have had a decent 15, but nothing beyond that. Injuries hit and they're rooted. Letting a Wallaby walk from the squad would be a very odd decision, and that's coming from a Tahs fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.