• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Correlation may not = causality but it's all related. The broader woes of super rugby aren't happening in a vacuum, but from my seats at AAMI Park there's been a whiff of death about the club that is in a very fucking large part due to the uncertainty of the club's future.

Fair point. I'll cop that.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
If the WF arbitration comes down in their favour then the court can enforce the contract and the WF will remain in the comp.
The same with the Rebs/Cox's contract I guess, if it enforceable by the court they will also be in the comp next year.
Then the ARU have a problem.
It seems? this new deal has removed Cox's susceptibility to losses and thus brings it down to a pure legal issue as it is with the WF.
If this is correct f/nose what happens from here.
BTW the WF claim to have a few trump cards up their sleeve if needed.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If this is correct f/nose what happens from here.
BTW the WF claim to have a few trump cards up their sleeve if needed.

They will claim they are pregnant and the ARU is the father, which will make the ARU feel guilty and will let them stay. No, sorry, that was EastEnders I was thinking of.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
IF the Force gets cut, I'm sure that will be a fond memory they will have. The good old days when they had a team that represented them.

Not to mention the utter disenfranchisement of rugby fans at all levels of the state/community.

And the stress of players and staff to pay bills, you know, through being actually employed for a salary.

Pretty sure that would meet the definition of "irreparable damage".

No offence Jimmy, but your post is a perfect example of a "heartland" rugby supporter who really has no clue what it is like to have the threat of your team ripped away.

Not to mention the estimated $650,000 in legal costs that are going to be incurred for fighting the axing of the team, even with massive subsidies from Lavan and McCusker. That certainly isn't a drop in the ocean when you consider the tight margins we're running on.

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=39179

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
The rumoured price was a lot higher than 6 and it was vic government backed

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
So are we saying the Vic government is paying Cox $6m+ to buy the licence and will also provide $~2m a year (probably ongoing given the history) to make sure the team can operate?

If not where has the VRU got this sort of money from? They essentially had $0 in their financial statement at 31/12

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

D

daz

So are we saying the Vic government is paying Cox $6m+ to buy the licence and will also provide $~2m a year (probably ongoing given the history) to make sure the team can operate?

If not where has the VRU got this sort of money from? They essentially had $0 in their financial statement at 31/12

Well, we don't know, do we. But it is safe to say the money has to come from somewhere, and the Vic gov is the only mob in this story that has any., assuming Cox is out of the picture.

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
Cameron, was the ARU confident in its legal ability to "cut" a team within 72 hours of your original announcement? If so, why are we now 110 days (?) into this saga with perhaps irreparable damage done to the game in two key emerging markets?

followed by something like this i hope:

Cameron, based on the decreasing crowd numbers (on average) attending home games for all five of the super rugby teams, historical bailouts given to foundation clubs, as well as allegations of corruption and an ASIC investigation, and past rumours and investigations of salary cap breaches; what was it that stood out so much that allowed only the Western Force and the Melbourne Rebels to be the only teams under consideration to be removed from the competition?
Especially considering that when you made the announcement that these teams were under consideration, you were *allegedly* still determining which of the teams it was that was going to be removed?

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
followed by something like this i hope:

Cameron, based on the decreasing crowd numbers (on average) attending home games for all five of the super rugby teams, historical bailouts given to foundation clubs, as well as allegations of corruption and an ASIC investigation, and past rumours and investigations of salary cap breaches; what was it that stood out so much that allowed only the Western Force and the Melbourne Rebels to be the only teams under consideration to be removed from the competition?
Especially considering that when you made the announcement that these teams were under consideration, you were *allegedly* still determining which of the teams it was that was going to be removed?

then, lock all the doors, light the torches and negotiate his & the other attendees release for the release of this 'criteria' that was used. ;)

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)

I can tell you Cox has got NOWHERE NEAR $6m from the VRU/Vic Gov.

My source is not a player either.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Maybe ask him, in such a massive decision, how the Brumbies can be made safe and not the Rebs and WF without disclosing any details. And are circumstance still the same, which they are clearly not.
Yes, well, my better half kind of torn into him about this - basically how can the ARU compare a team that has been around for 21 years v one that's been around for only 7. I've never seen her so feisty!

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Yes, well, my better half kind of torn into him about this - basically how can the ARU compare a team that has been around for 21 years v one that's been around for only 7. I've never seen her so feisty!

I can just imagine this happening...

Any other highlights from the lunch today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Oh, it was fairly tame, he gave little away, the reasons for culling a team seemed to change from crowd numbers, to money to player depth.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I can tell you Cox has got NOWHERE NEAR $6m from the VRU/Vic Gov.

My source is not a player either.

Well that is probably because his claim on the ARU for damages is very weak, and he and all those on the inside know it.
Seems he has nowhere to go unless he is happy to be seen as a sellout.
Giving him the benefit of the doubt, good on him for choosing the VRU.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well that is probably because his claim on the ARU for damages is very weak, and he and all those on the inside know it.
Seems he has nowhere to go unless he is happy to be seen as a sellout.
Giving him the benefit of the doubt, good on him for choosing the VRU.
Maybe that's because he has been shown the ARU's case against the Force so realises the ARU don't need him.

Who knows - nobody until later this week.

B

BLR

Maybe that's because he has been shown the ARU's case against the Force so realises the ARU don't need him.

Who knows - nobody until later this week.

Why the hell would they show him documents to be used in a pending legal case. Cmon mate.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Why the hell would they show him documents to be used in a pending legal case. Cmon mate.
My point was that anyone can randomly speculate on anything when they know absolutely nothing about what is going on. I obviously don't believe he has been shown the ARU's case against the Force, although who would know what the hell has happened during the ongoing negotiations.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I read about Twiggy's offer to loan $ to Force fans and couldn't help but smile. It's a good gesture and left me slightly envious.

Then I remembered what it was like when we were a top-heavy franchise existing via the benevolence of our own multi-multi-millionaire.

Good luck to the ARU lawyers this week, Melbourne is right behind you!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.