• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Weeks will be in the 23, plus there will be 3 backs on the bench. Pointless having Parling, RHP and Hardwick all on the pine at once. Take RHP out and put Maddocks in the 23. Maddocks will be starting ahead of DHP by the end of the season, calling it now.

Expecting DHP to be injured again KO? Only way I can see Maddocks (as promising as he is) displacing him from the starting lineup. If it does happen as you forecast, then I think both HPs will be looking elsewhere in 2019.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^No hoping no Rebels players are injured in 2018

I think if the Rebels are on the front foot Maddocks will have a bigger impact in games. Has more X-Factor than DHP and given a few more games in 2018 will really be a stand out.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I am not discounting Maddocks' talent at all. I think he was far and away the standout back in the Aussie U20s side, and would be very disappointed if he doesn't realise his potential. But, DHP is the second best No 15 in the country and arguably more rounded player than Folau whose abilities under the high ball will continue to see him selected at Wallaby level. Without Folau, DHP would be the incumbent Wallaby No 15. I simply can't see Maddocks overtaking him in 2018.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I would love to see DHP get a run at 10 at some stage, he's got a kicking game, passes well, but most importantly he seems to have time with the ball. Perhaps a few opportunities late in the game throughout the season. Would also make the perfect back for the wallabies bench if so.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Please don’t inflict Maddocks with the Debreczeni curse - talking them up to greatness too early and throwing them in the deep end to which they struggle and lose confidence for ever more.

Reactions: Tex
D

daz

Be interesting to see how Maddocks develops under Wessels, compared to how other so-called future stars have failed to bloom under McGahan.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced guys like Stirzaker, Placid, Meehan and Debreczeni failed to bloom, so much as simply hitting their talent ceiling - early excitement followed by an equally early flame-out; kinda like the really tall guy in grade 6 who looks like he will end up playing Olympic-level basketball, then everyone else catches up within 3 years.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I would love to see DHP get a run at 10 at some stage, he's got a kicking game, passes well, but most importantly he seems to have time with the ball. Perhaps a few opportunities late in the game throughout the season. Would also make the perfect back for the wallabies bench if so.

I always thought he would make a good No 13. Looks a lot like Conrad Smith in the way he plays, but not sure of his ability to run the backline defense like Smith did.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Be interesting to see how Maddocks develops under Wessels, compared to how other so-called future stars have failed to bloom under McGahan.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced guys like Stirzaker, Placid, Meehan and Debreczeni failed to bloom, so much as simply hitting their talent ceiling - early excitement followed by an equally early flame-out; kinda like the really tall guy in grade 6 who looks like he will end up playing Olympic-level basketball, then everyone else catches up within 3 years.
I have to say I think Meehan was really hard done by in 2016. Rebels were winning games and Stirzaker was straight back into the starting line up with out any match fitness. Think its 5 or 6 of the 7 wins came when Meehan played 60+ minutes.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jack Deb had all the skills and attributes to be a wallaby, he just lacks the mental side of things atm.

I haven't given up on him just yet, our performances with him at 10 were considerably better than when he wasn't selected there. A couple of years in a different culture will hopefully improve work ethic and fortitude and we will see him back in Australia post 2019.

D

daz

I have to say I think Meehan was really hard done by in 2016. Rebels were winning games and Stirzaker was straight back into the starting line up with out any match fitness. Think its 5 or 6 of the 7 wins came when Meehan played 60+ minutes.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Perhaps, but I was one of many, many people at AAMI Park who groaned at the almost weekly sight of Meehan going for the box-kick as his first option. Although, to be fair, that is almost a Rebels scrummy tradition - Just like our hookers never able to throw straight on an attacking lineout.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rebels confirm Wessels' 2018 assistants - Ex-Force Kevin Foote, Shaun Berne and Joe Barakat and existing Rebels asst Craig McGrath.

Fellow Rebels assistant Zane Hilton moves on.

Morgan Turinui to stay in Melbourne in an ambassadorial role until end of the year

D

daz

Rebels confirm Wessels' 2018 assistants - Ex-Force Kevin Foote, Shaun Berne and Joe Barakat and existing Rebels asst Craig McGrath.

Fellow Rebels assistant Zane Hilton moves on.

Morgan Turinui to stay in Melbourne in an ambassadorial role until end of the year

Gee Reg, Beth Newman just wrote the same thing on Twitter, word for word. Who owes the other a drink?

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Perhaps, but I was one of many, many people at AAMI Park who groaned at the almost weekly sight of Meehan going for the box-kick as his first option. Although, to be fair, that is almost a Rebels scrummy tradition - Just like our hookers never able to throw straight on an attacking lineout.

And then count the seconds after the box kick before the other team scores ...

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

I have a feeling that was Meehan following coaches instructions, when he just played attacking rugby we looked good. Think art of the problem was Meehan got the crowds frustration and would start moving the ball and TT did not like it. Tahs game is Sydney is a massive example, we looked rubbish while Stirzaker was on the field, he went off after 20 and we came back and won the game.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

I think that is harsh when you consider the way McGahan is reported to have 'managed' the team - I do remember hearing disgruntled senior players telling TT that he needed to rein it in but he would have none of it - his management style was a little like Napoleon's - so I'm told. I think a different coach MAY have had better results from the fragile but wonderful Debra and without so many training injuries, the others would have been ABLE to play to their best as well

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I think that is harsh when you consider the way McGahan is reported to have 'managed' the team - I do remember hearing disgruntled senior players telling TT that he needed to rein it in but he would have none of it - his management style was a little like Napoleon's - so I'm told. I think a different coach MAY have had better results from the fragile but wonderful Debra and without so many training injuries, the others would have been ABLE to play to their best as well

I heard a rumor that the first half against the Waratahs at AAMI park wasn't in line with how TT wanted the team to play and that they were told to change the play style back to what he wanted (and then lost because of it). Any one know if there is any truth to that - they definitely played very different styles in each half and I was not particularly happy (to say the least) with where that game ended up.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

So, looking forward to Will Genia fitting right in there with his box kicks.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I heard a rumor that the first half against the Waratahs at AAMI park wasn't in line with how TT wanted the team to play and that they were told to change the play style back to what he wanted (and then lost because of it). Any one know if there is any truth to that - they definitely played very different styles in each half and I was not particularly happy (to say the least) with where that game ended up.
I think that rumour was spread on here. From memory by a poster who had pretty good insight into the happenings in the locker room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tex
D

daz

So, looking forward to Will Genia fitting right in there with his box kicks.

And that is one of the reasons why I publicly went on the record as soon as the "Genia to Rebels" whispers started, to oppose the signing. Having said that, some of his work on the spring tour has been sensational, so I'm of a mind to revisit my initial reluctance.

Status
Not open for further replies.