• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I think the squad will do better than their Aust compatriots, but they still have to defeat the mighty NZ squad and some of those games will be overseas. We will be fronting with a great squad, but a lot of the squad played together last season (yeah for the Force) and they were unable to defeat the NZs either but $50 bucks is a good bet for a great ride if it comes off

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
It’s only $50, it won’t send you broke but I think we should be focusing on a vastly improved season in 2018, not building the trophy cabinet.

$50 plus the discounted Rebels membership this year = 2016 standard membership, with the bonus of a huge payout if things click.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I’ve just been informed that the Sunwolves v Rebels game on 03 March that was due to be played in Singapore has been moved back to Tokyo. If you have already booked for Singapore you will need to change plans. Obviously wait for confirmation, but I have been informed by a person within the Rebels.

D

daz

Forgetting the expectations those outside the Rebels will have on us, I am absolutely putting my cards on the table to say I expect finals spot in 2018.

I'm with GMR in that finals would be a minimum passmark, but to say we will win the title in the first year of the new playing/coaching group is perhaps pushing things. Let's make that the 2019 goal. :)

Having said all that, I will not be at all upset if we happened to walk away with the silverware.

D

daz

I’ve just been informed that the Sunwolves v Rebels game on 03 March that was due to be played in Singapore has been moved back to Tokyo. If you have already booked for Singapore you will need to change plans. Obviously wait for confirmation, but I have been informed by a person within the Rebels.

Makes sense. With the RWC19 about to hit, the Japanese RU will be desperate to start getting the crowds all frothy with hometown expectation. Not to mention that the Sunwolves should be the Japanese Sunwolves, not the Singapore Sunwolves. Perhaps that is a sign the World Rugby is focusing on Super Rugby regions, and freeing up places like Singapore for Twiggyball.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Makes sense. With the RWC19 about to hit, the Japanese RU will be desperate to start getting the crowds all frothy with hometown expectation. Not to mention that the Sunwolves should be the Japanese Sunwolves, not the Singapore Sunwolves. Perhaps that is a sign the World Rugby is focusing on Super Rugby regions, and freeing up places like Singapore for Twiggyball.
Will be interested to find out if they are pulling out of Singapore entirely. The crowds for the Singapore matches were significantly lower than the Tokyo ones.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Apparently according to the Australian, the Rebels are estimated to be $700k above the salary cap. I assume that there will be some sort of leeway for 2018 and in 2019 we would probably lose Parling, Stirzacker, Hanson and Horwitz or English. Of course, some of these may drop off immediately

T

TOCC

$700k before Coleman's wage was factored in as well, so make that a cool $1million now

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
$700k before Coleman's wage was factored in as well, so make that a cool $1million now
What an absolute joke.

Had the force been retained over the Rebels they would have never received such dispensation.

Just shows how corrupt the ARU are and how they are determined to do everything they can to make sure they are proven right with the decision to cut the force no matter the cost to rugby in this country.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What an absolute joke.

Had the force been retained over the Rebels they would have never received such dispensation.

Just shows how corrupt the ARU are and how they are determined to do everything they can to make sure they are proven right with the decision to cut the force no matter the cost to rugby in this country.
Just take a deep breath. Calm. OK? They are most likely over as part of the deal the ARU (now Rugby Australia) made to honour all contracts of the team that was cut. They said there would be larger squads over the next year of two as a result. Nothing underhanded, they are looking after the players.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Just take a deep breath. Calm. OK? They are most likely over as part of the deal the ARU (now Rugby Australia) made to honour all contracts of the team that was cut. They said there would be larger squads over the next year of two as a result. Nothing underhanded, they are looking after the players.

*frothing at the mouth*

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

Also it is "estimated" and there is strong suspicion that there might be a few players drop off the radar before next year. Players had to go somewhere and the Rebels took a significant risk having a very empty roster (compared to the other teams). I'm sure it will be fine by 2019 as players drop out of contract.

Of course, we could of course tell Coleman to #@#( off from Australia and find another country where he can play rugby. I would suggest doing that from a fair distance though.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
rebels will lose probably hanson, weeks, parliing mafi, stirzaker and most likely another back for the 18/19 season. These guys will most likely be replaced by local youngsters like Haangana and Tupou. The salary caps and squad numbers will realign eventually albeit a bit higher then currently

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
rebels will lose probably hanson, weeks, parliing mafi, stirzaker and most likely another back for the 18/19 season. These guys will most likely be replaced by local youngsters like Haangana and Tupou. The salary caps and squad numbers will realign eventually albeit a bit higher then currently

100% this. It's been a disastrous year for Super Rugby in Australia, just let the dust settle and focus on the good things in life, like beating the Poms in Brisbane.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

Hope we keep Mafi ...

T

TOCC

Apparently according to the Australian, the Rebels are estimated to be $700k above the salary cap. I assume that there will be some sort of leeway for 2018 and in 2019 we would probably lose Parling, Stirzacker, Hanson and Horwitz or English. Of course, some of these may drop off immediately

Waratahs boss confirms that there will be no increase in the grants for super rugby clubs either..

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Waratahs boss confirms that there will be no increase in the grants for super rugby clubs either..

Seriously, he can #$&* off about anything to do with player payments with the massive top ups that the Waratahs get and the incredible underperformance given that extra spend.

T

TOCC

Seriously, he can #$&* off about anything to do with player payments with the massive top ups that the Waratahs get and the incredible underperformance given that extra spend.

There’s a few narratives going on in his comments...

But what I find concerning is how the Rebels are going to pay for these wages since it’s now clear the ARU won’t be increasing their top-up.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
There’s a few narratives going on in his comments.

But what I find concerning is how the Rebels are going to pay for these wages since it’s now clear the ARU won’t be increasing their top-up.

I really don't have any idea. I don't have any detailed information on the Rebels finances. What their loss was last year (I'm assuming it was a loss)? There are 2 main ways to deal with it - increase revenue or drop expenses. The rumors are that non-player expenses were too much with "consulting" spend. Maybe there is enough there to cover the additional amount. In addition, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of players drop out of the squad before the start of the year. I would also expect crowd numbers to increase with the improved team and with the team actually (hopefully) winning a game here and there which would increase revenue - an extra 1000 people at $30 a ticket for every game is an extra $240k for the year. And with some wins on the board, it is more likely to win some more sponsors. But without any detailed numbers about the current state and the forecast plans etc, everyone is just making shit up. Of course, if someone has detailed numbers, it would be great to comb through the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.