• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I ain't no lawyer but I don't think that's the way arbitration works:

Limited right of Appeal. Court proceedings at first instance might be amenable to one or possibly two levels of appeal. Arbitration is final, subject to very limited rights of appeal. Under the CAA for example, an appeal can only be made on a question of law on very limited grounds if the parties 'opt in' and agree no later than three months from the making of the award to preserve appeal rights and obtain leave of the court.

http://www.mondaq.com/australia/x/3...arbitration+regime+in+Australia+Five+years+on
The real question is whether another injunction would be granted pending an appeal on the arbitration ruling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
I ain't no lawyer but I don't think that's the way arbitration works:

Limited right of Appeal. Court proceedings at first instance might be amenable to one or possibly two levels of appeal. Arbitration is final, subject to very limited rights of appeal. Under the CAA for example, an appeal can only be made on a question of law on very limited grounds if the parties 'opt in' and agree no later than three months from the making of the award to preserve appeal rights and obtain leave of the court.

http://www.mondaq.com/australia/x/3...arbitration+regime+in+Australia+Five+years+on
Yeah I'm not sure exactly how it works either. From reading about the process over the last month or so I'm no clearer on how it works. It seems to be binding. But everything I've seen about this case indicates that an appeal is open to RWA, and has been since the beginning, which is one of the reasons why they agreed to go down that road.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I'm not sure exactly how it works either. From reading about the process over the last month or so I'm no clearer on how it works. It seems to be binding. But everything I've seen about this case indicates that an appeal is open to RWA, and has been since the beginning, which is one of the reasons why they agreed to go down that road.

They will have to be granted the right to appeal though before they can take it to the Supreme Court.........

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

They went down the arbitration path in order to expedite the process. From what I recall, there was a massive Supreme Court backlog, and it could have been towards the end of 2017 before they were even listed in the WA Supreme Court.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
They will have to be granted the right to appeal though before they can take it to the Supreme Court...
Sounds like they want the best of both worlds; a closed-door arbitration and the ability to appeal if they feel like it, like a court hearing.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sounds like they want the best of both worlds; a closed-door arbitration and the ability to appeal if they feel like it, like a court hearing.
It would have to be pre-agreed. There is scope for it under the relevant legislation, however for leave to appeal to be granted, the court must be satisfied that the decision based on the facts of the award, was obviously wrong.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think this is much different to any appeal.

You can only appeal on the basis that you think the decision erred on a point of law rather than just appealing the decision outright.

Whoever hears the appeal can only rule on points of law rather than look at the whole case and make a fresh decision.

Certainly the arbitration shortcuts the need for a full court case but it comes to the same result in terms of a final binding decision being made that then becomes the basis for any future review of the case.

There is definitely no avenue for either party to start over again in the Supreme Court.

L

Leo86

Me no lawyer but can an option to appeal be agreed on beforehand? As in appeal the decision, not a point of law. Im thinking arbitration was agreed upon to fast track but a clause included for the option to appeal the decision.​
"The appointment of the arbitrator has to be agreed by both sides and there is an avenue for appeal after a decision has been handed down."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Me no lawyer but can an option to appeal be agreed on beforehand? As in appeal the decision, not a point of law. Im thinking arbitration was agreed upon to fast track but a clause included for the option to appeal the decision.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wester...-fight-for-super-rugby-survival-ng-b88500674z

"The appointment of the arbitrator has to be agreed by both sides and there is an avenue for appeal after a decision has been handed down."

I think in this situation it will hinge on whether the broadcast agreement is considered to be the same or changed (thus voiding the alliance agreement).

On that basis it would seem pretty likely that you can appeal saying that the arbiter erred in law in agreeing that the broadcast agreement has changed.

Anyway, I guess we'll find out next week.*

*or in 48-72 weeks.

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
They went down the arbitration path in order to expedite the process. From what I recall, there was a massive Supreme Court backlog, and it could have been towards the end of 2017 before they were even listed in the WA Supreme Court.

Sorry, you're right, i posted that earlier pre-coffee. It was meant to hopefully speed up the pricess, but the cynic in me also thinks that the ARU were open to arbitration because of the non-disclosure aspect of it as well.

Even though there has been leak after leak through the usual suspects, we haven't seen the criteria specifics or on what basis 3 teams were (allegedly) evaluated as safe.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I see that Melbourne Rebels have lodged a few new documents with ASIC today, and for $19 each you can view them, but I suspect they confirm that Cox and Sidwell have abandoned the team and the VRU are the new owners - bam

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I see that Melbourne Rebels have lodged a few new documents with ASIC today, and for $19 each you can view them, but I suspect they confirm that Cox and Sidwell have abandoned the team and the VRU are the new owners - bam
Abandoned read Protected.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
my speculation would be that the Rebs are speculating that the WF will be happy with the Arbitration decision

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
yeah the only ones who should be leaving are the management and the board. For all the disruption it would cause it would make me happy to see the back of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.