• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
If we're genuinely looking for a centre, surely trying to jump in and steal Godwin from the grasp of the Brumbies (where he's expected to sign) would be a great move on our part!

In other words, there's been murmurs of Richard Graham as new backs coach next year. Zane Hilton is his BIL & by all accounts he is a good assistant.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
MELBOURNE Storm NRL winger Marika Koroibete’s expected code switch to rugby union with Melbourne Rebels is all but done. http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/3cf2a6fe417b0da14aa59e2b8a06a38e
He looks like an awesome attacking player. My question is how are his defensive qualities particularly kicking. He might get away without a kick at soup level but if he is slated for the wobs then it can get us found out as teams kick to out backs and pin us in our half. Saw it a few times last year and it made for a booting and predictable game.

Don't get me wrong, I love attacks from deep in our half but if that is all we can do to clear it becomes very predictable to defend against, especially in the championship.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
If we're genuinely looking for a centre, surely trying to jump in and steal Godwin from the grasp of the Brumbies (where he's expected to sign) would be a great move on our part!

In other words, there's been murmurs of Richard Graham as new backs coach next year. Zane Hilton is his BIL & by all accounts he is a good assistant.
Love Godwin as a player but I think he would do better at the ponies under Larkham and as a like for like replacement for Tomoua.

Wouldn't be upset to see him wear the five star though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Are there any reports/solid rumous that Godwin is going to the Brumbies?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

Why would we get Richard Graham as a backs coach?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Wasn't Graham skills coach under Deans in 2010? When we had Cooper, Beale, and JOC (James O'Connor) slaying?

I'd cancel my membership immediately if he got made head coach, but it's not like he could actually make the backline any worse.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Crowley has actually done reasonable job in my opinion. he has been severely hampered by the indifferent form of Stirzaker and Debreczini, compounded by the loss of Harris and the unavailability of Sefa in the early games. Because of injuries there hasn't been any consistency in the backs selected. We will see in the next few weeks what they can do if all stay fit and on the pitch together. Despite his prior efforts as the Wobs attack coach, RG is damaged goods and shouldn't be anywhere near any Oz franchise for quite sometime yet.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So Stirzaker has one winning start to his name. A game he only lasted 33 minutes, not a good look for the captain. Just seems lost at the moment

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

lukemc

Frank Row (1)
OK - so i have been watching this forum and the rebels Facebook page now for quite some time and finally need to vent some frustration…...

Firstly I will admit that I am a BIG Colby fan (and stirz fan despite his lack of form currently). But after tonights game i cannot see how anyone could think otherwise than the fact that Colby Fainga'a proved why he is more than worthy of the no. 7 starting jersey week in week out. Sean Mcmahon is no doubt world class but having played schoolboy rugby all throughout my school years it is blatantly clear he is playing 6 - not 7, week in week out for the rebels crew.

To be honest i seriously think jordy reid is 'sydney club level (at best). yes he has his his good games and when he is 'on, he' gets the odd pilfer and makes some impact tackles, but he is no where near in the same calibre as Sean Mcmahon and Colby Fainga'a.

Yes i have been a "colby' fan for a while , so i won't deny that i may be bias- but after tonights game i think it was made very clear the impact he can have on a game.

If you compare the stats after tonights game - Colby Fainga'a was superior to Pocock. Quite frankly- i am sick of Pocock being talked up in a god like fashion every time he touches the ball.

Anyway - my initial thoughts in my first post of Green and Gold!

Agree with the above though- Stirzaker needs to be dropped, form is terrible atm.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Welcome to the board and that's a thought provoking first post but may Poey strike you down with all the rath and fury attainable in his most holy of biceps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Feb 2015: Melbourne coach Tony McGahan preferred to focus on the positive that his team pushed another title contender (Brumbies) to the wire.
“There were parts of frustration, frustration that couldn’t get enough points on the scoreboard at the end,” McGahan said.
“But I was really proud of the effort the lads put in.
“They were tremendous and we had great belief to be able stay in the contest against a strong side.
May 2016:“I thought we did some really good things this evening but came up short,” Rebels Head Coach Tony McGahan said.
“The Brumbies were too good in a couple of areas and caught us but overall we’re pretty pleased with the effort and some of the execution we did in attack and defence, breakdown was good but again small margins cost us again.”
Sorry Coach, the score board does the talking and right now you have nothing of value to say.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
OK - so i have been watching this forum and the rebels Facebook page now for quite some time and finally need to vent some frustration….

Firstly I will admit that I am a BIG Colby fan (and stirz fan despite his lack of form currently). But after tonights game i cannot see how anyone could think otherwise than the fact that Colby Fainga'a proved why he is more than worthy of the no. 7 starting jersey week in week out. Sean Mcmahon is no doubt world class but having played schoolboy rugby all throughout my school years it is blatantly clear he is playing 6 - not 7, week in week out for the rebels crew.

To be honest i seriously think jordy reid is 'sydney club level (at best). yes he has his his good games and when he is 'on, he' gets the odd pilfer and makes some impact tackles, but he is no where near in the same calibre as Sean Mcmahon and Colby Fainga'a.

Yes i have been a "colby' fan for a while , so i won't deny that i may be bias- but after tonights game i think it was made very clear the impact he can have on a game.

If you compare the stats after tonights game - Colby Fainga'a was superior to Pocock. Quite frankly- i am sick of Pocock being talked up in a god like fashion every time he touches the ball.

Anyway - my initial thoughts in my first post of Green and Gold!

Agree with the above though- Stirzaker needs to be dropped, form is terrible atm.

That's a very good initial post, luke. From my perspective, Colby was easily best on ground until he picked up his injury. I pretty much agree with all you've said, except that I think Reid is better than simply club level, but behind Colby for skills and involvements.

Edit : On balance, I think the Rebels outplayed the Brumbies at the breakdown last night.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So TT should pack his bags and move on, according to lou75. EVERY match has a loser and winner, otherwise we don't have a game. And they have to front up next week, of course the coach has to say something to keep his charges enthused. Otherwise we end up with the drivel, and results, served up by someone like Richard Graham.

The Rebels ARE improving under Tony McGahan, may they keep doing so.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Well said luke. While I think you're a touch harsh on Jordy, after last night I think it's pretty obvious the extra dimension Colby brings to the team. I've been trying to tell anyone who will listen that McMahon has been playing 6 even though he has had 7 on his back & I was glad that little charade was finally ended last night. That all the commentators have been referring to him as openside when he has clearly been playing blindside, and doing a bloody good job of it, staggers me.
Spot on about Pocock as well. Yes the guy is a superstar but the hyperbole around some of the things he does is way over the top.

lukemc

Frank Row (1)
Well thats a relief- I'm glad some of you guys are on the same page as me. Perhaps i was a touch harsh on reid agreed. But he is certainly not the same calibre as Colby and Sean. For a back rower Fainga'a's ball skills are world class in my opinion.

Seriously - if he keeps giving consistent performances like last night he should be in wallabies contention… he was a stand out for me last night and agree with you brumbys runner, best on ground.

weird that sean was reported as 7 in the media all week and then colby pulled on the 7??

Status
Not open for further replies.