• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

What about him??

Storm just signed a new winger from the Tigers, maybe already considering replacements for Koroibete..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
So it was that James King who played. Saw the team list and wondered.

So what have we got.

Byrnes (Russia), Phipps (Aus), Vuna (Aus), Weeksy (Aus), Jones (Aus), Rokobaro (Fiji), Veainu (Tonga), Betham (Aus), McMahon, (Aus), Toby (Aus) and King (USA) all making international debuts after playing for us. Have I missed anybody?

EDIT: Eddie played for Tonga too.

Highlander35 as far as I know you are right these are the 12 players to have made their test debut during or after their time with the Rebels.

Of the 95 players according to my calculations 42 have played test rugby at any time (ie so quite a number before they joined the Rebels). 24 Wallabies, 4 All Blacks, 2 England, 1 Ireland, 1 Wales, 4 Japan, 2 Tonga, 1 Samoa, 1 Fiji, 1 Russia, 1 USA)

17 players have played test Rugby whilst playing with the Rebels (or in the same season they played with the Rebels eg Veainu at end of 2015 when 2015 was his last season at Rebels)
Wallabies - Beale, Gerrard, Higginbotham, Jones, McMahon, O'Connor, Phipps, Smith, Vuna, Weeks
Japan - Horie, Inagaki, Sa'u
Tonga - Aholelei, Veainu
Fiji - Rokobaro
Russia - Byrnes

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
From Payto:

Storm winger Marika Koroibete is very close to signing with the Melbourne Rebels and ARU. Michael Cheika is a big fan of the flying Fijian and it would be no surprise to see Koroibete taken on the Spring Tour as a development player.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Wayne Smith reports today that Mr Cox is searching for opponents to play during the Test break.
I don't think he has ARU or player approval yet, but the main challenge for him will be: who foots the travel and accommodation bill?
Mr Cox says that he has a big income hole during the break, down on gate receipts of $250,000 for that period. He does concede that the ARU continues to pay the player salaries. He wants to pull in extra gate takings, lets be generous and say 4,000 to each game at $40 = $160,000, so maybe 2 extra trial games? Less travel costs of course.
BTW, no news of that big name sponsor yet.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
busy morning at Gosch's paddock as i drove past. Rebels, Storm and Victory all training.

"so many teams, so little room"

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
That's good.

Wonder what it means for the likes of Dom and Cam, who are OOC. And was Pama Fou not meant to be making the 15s switch to us as well?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
My bet is on Dom with the new contract. Much as I think Cam is an excellent winger, think TT likes 'em big.

Imagine that outside pairing of Sefa and Koro. Speeeeeeeeed to burn.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
One of Crawford's better assets, his ability to hoof the ball some distance down the paddock, isn't required at the Rebels due to the presence of Debreczeni. I, for one, was sorry to see him leave the Tahs, with the way our current lot of wingers are playing/going down like flies he'd be a handy addition to our squad if he was tempted to return. Or maybe Cam should think about moving across the Nullabor. He's exactly the sort of player we need in our Super squads, be a shame if he goes to Japan or Europe.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Cam Crawford is no midget. !.93m and 98 kg is pretty big for an outside back.

And I was sorry to see him leave the Brumbies before his Tahs' sojourn. Seems like he is not a valued player by some/most coaches? Would be very valuable here atm also with all the injured wingers on the Brumbies' books.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I'm not saying that one or both are definitely gone.

But we've got 5 contracted "wingers" in Engo, Sefa, Dom, Crawf and Asquith (plus Matsushima on the short term deal).

Engo and Sefa have contracts for next year. If the rumours are true and both Koroibete and Fou are signing, that'll leave 1 wingers spot.

Crawf has plenty of fullback experience and to call Asquith "a winger" is probably misleading.

But nonetheless, that's a tight squad.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Asquith and Matsushima would be the ones to go likely. One of English or Naivalu will play outside centre i believe, Ellison will almost certainly be gone, Inman possibly (Daz ?) so Hodge is likely to move to inside. Harris may be gone leaving room for Crawford or Hodge there. Lots of permutations.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I think thats it for the season now. Waratahs and Brumbies wins puts Rebels in tenth place - no chance to make the finals, not even with a wild card. Might come third in the Australian conference if the Reds continue on their projector.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies still have another bye to come, however their draw gets easier after the Rebels match (Sunwolves, Reds, Blues, Force)..........

The Rebles have some tough matches ahead against the Chiefs, Stormers and Crusaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.