• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The game needs to grow in WA and Victoria before the overwhelming majority of players stop coming out of Sydney and Brisbane club rugby.

The reality is that this is a long, long way away. For many years to come, the vast majority of Super Rugby players in Australia (not to mention all the Australians playing overseas) will come out of Sydney and Brisbane.

I also don't see there being a problem with the current scenario. I don't believe players leaving club rugby in Sydney and Brisbane to go and play Super Rugby in Melbourne, Perth or Canberra is the reason why club rugby teams are struggling financially.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the Rebels want their players playing for Victorian clubs then that's fair.

If not, whatever.

But it's now the Rebels investing in these players and they should be allowed to dictate those terms.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
There is also the issue of the RUPA restrictions on what they club can make the players do when it comes to Club rugby.

Its a massive issue in the WA comp where the Force players cant be allocated to clubs as it is seem as a restriction of trade issue.

Meaning the players all go to the clubs that pay the most. So almost all the force players are aligned to 3 clubs and the rest get nothing.

One team has about 6 players where as my club has 0. We don’t have the money to go paying these players where as other inner city clubs do.

In the past Rugby WA was able to say to the players you are aligned to this club and so on, but not any more.

A lot of people in Club land here in Perth are very angry with this and just see the Force players as mercenary’s and want nothing to do with them.

masai

Frank Nicholson (4)
I also don't see there being a problem with the current scenario. I don't believe players leaving club rugby in Sydney and Brisbane to go and play Super Rugby in Melbourne, Perth or Canberra is the reason why club rugby teams are struggling financially.

I don't see how you can say this. A rugby club is a business like any other and businesses make decisions based on profits and shareholder value. If the business didn't think that having better players was profitable, they wouldn't bother investing any money on development pathways. The fact that they do suggests that player quality is directly proportional to revenues.

masai

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm sorry masai but your idea is not a realistic proposal and just causes way too many complications, starting with the fact it restricts teams from choosing the players they want and in return limiting players on where they can play....
Unless you're on the ARU board, you don't need to apologise for anything, because your opinion of what's realistic holds the same amount of value as my own.

And I think it's a bit rich for the Sydney clubs to expect something in return from the other Super Rugby teams.
You'll have to explain this one, because I think it will confound a lot of people who aren't exclusively concerned with the interests of their chosen Super franchise.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unless you're on the ARU board, you don't need to apologise for anything, because your opinion of what's realistic holds the same amount of value as my own.

But no ARU board member would ever suggest such a proposal unless they were looking to not only crush the development of rugby in this country but take it back 30 years........

You'll have to explain this one, because I think it will confound a lot of people who aren't exclusively interested in the interests of their chosen Super franchise.

It's the Super Rugby teams investing in players from locally/nationally/internationally and developing them for playing Super Rugby.

Club rugby is also just one of the many feeders into Super Rugby.

T

TOCC

Lets be realistic here, the significant sum of development is been done at schools level anyway, why should a club receive reimbursement when in some cases they have only been there for 12-24 months, and in many cases these players have at some point been on some form of EPS/NTS contract anyway, so ultimately the clubs have benefited from ARU and Super Rugby investment in these players already..

If the Rebels/Force believe that they are better off having their players gain experience in a lesser competition then that is their prerogative. It is hardly going to be the financial downfall of club rugby.. Club Rugby struggles because it is the third tier, because it is amateur and because it has minimal tv/media/commercial exposure, not because the Rebels and Force are withholding their players.

masai

Frank Nicholson (4)
But no ARU board member would ever suggest such a proposal unless they were looking to not only crush the development of rugby in this country but take it back 30 years....

Nice to see that you're being reasonable about this discussion.

Given that the last few pages of this thread have been getting increasingly off topic, and given that I seem to be arguing against empty rhetoric, I will remove myself from the debate. Feel free to have the last word. I would recommend you use it to add some substance to your sensationalism.

Jimmy C

Allen Oxlade (6)
Given that the last few pages of this thread have been getting increasingly off topic, and given that I seem to be arguing against empty rhetoric, I will remove myself from the debate. Feel free to have the last word. I would recommend you use it to add some substance to your sensationalism.

And here I was thinking I had stumbled into the wrong forum.

All agree that we get back to the topic at hand, say "I"...

So has anyone actually seen a media release from the Rebels concerning Higgers being named captain? And any word on a vice-captain?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Gents, let's get back to discussing the Rebels in 2014, which coincidentally just happens to be the name of this thread.

And play nicely, please!

:)

Exactly.

I have no problems with this discussion and I even find it interesting. Also, I often blow the "let the conversation evolve organically" horn.

But seriously, 3 pages of non-Rebels 2014 stuff on a Rebels 2014 thread is a bit ridiculous.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i agree the last few pages are not on rebels 2014 topic but it is clearly generating a lot of heat, some light and the odd sensible suggestion. perhaps the mods could organise another thread along the lines of local club v franchise, who benefits, who loses and who gets the players ?

as a parting shot. one upside the local clubs may benefit from in having their talent sucked into the super vortex never to return, is that up and coming players may see that particular club's coaching structures and close alliances with a franchise or franchises as a good reason to play with them, thereby increasing the talent available to them rather than a drain on resources. clearly they are doing something right at Manly in the development of young players, so you assume that a good young player would sooner play there than elsewhere.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If there is one, can someone put a list of who is currently contracted to the Rebels and how long (if known) they are signed for?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If there is one, can someone put a list of who is currently contracted to the Rebels and how long (if known) they are signed for?

End of 2014

Jason Woodward
Scott Fuglistaller
Colby Fainga'a
Shorta Horie
Chris Thompson
Nic Stirzaker
Tom Sexton
Agus Roberts
Alex Rokobaro
Lachie Mitchell

End of 2015

Scott Higgenbotham
Hugh Pyle
Laurie Weeks
Cadeyrn Neville
Luke Burgess
Max Lahiff
Tom Kingston
Paul Alo-Emile
Lopeti Timani
Mitch Inman
Jordy Reid

End of 2016

Toby Smith
Tom English
Luke Jones

Not to sure about the following players contracts. But pretty sure the top half is the rest of the squad.

Situati
Leafa
Sidey
Hegarty

Saffy
Dyer
Cruze Ah Nau
Aholelei

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
End of 2014

Jason Woodward
Scott Fuglistaller
Colby Fainga'a
Shorta Horie
Chris Thompson
Nic Stirzaker
Tom Sexton
Agus Roberts
Alex Rokobaro
Lachie Mitchell

End of 2015

Scott Higgenbotham
Hugh Pyle
Tom English
Laurie Weeks
Cadeyrn Neville
Luke Burgess
Max Lahiff
Tom Kingston
Paul Alo-Emile
Lopeti Timani
Mitch Inman
Jordy Reid

End of 2016

Toby Smith
Tom English
Luke Jones

Not to sure about the following players contracts. But pretty sure the top half is the rest of the squad.

Situati
Leafa
Sidey
Hegarty

Saffy
Dyer
Cruze Ah Nau
Aholelei

For Dyer and Ah Nau, would they be allowed to continue on EPS contracts? Obviously English, Reid & Hegarty will be promoted.

Sent from my AMAZE-731 using Tapatalk 2

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I'm a little worried Saffy hasn't signed yet, or it hasn't been announced. I think he had a great 2013 and it would be a shame to lose him. Then again, there will be fierce competition for back row position and the lure of good coin O/S might be too much.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The backrow talent is a pleasing dilemma for the coaching staff.

Saffy must be a beast in contact. He's short for a 6 and runs the ball in a too-upright position, but he still consistently makes breaks against other forwards. He's a wise head in a team brimming with youth, we need that sort of grounded energy around the club and on the field, hope he stays for another season.

Any news on signings at flyhalf? I really like the look of Hegarty but there's not much depth and experience there.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Any news on signings at flyhalf? I really like the look of Hegarty but there's not much depth and experience there.

I think the fact Heggs was always touted as a 15 is proof of the fact that we got lucky, rather than masterminded his rise to a starting quality Super Rugby 10 (though right now thb, he's only serviceable rather than "good").

Still, who really is around that could play 10 for us? Scott Daruda and Sam Lane are probably the only Aussies who we could feasibly get.

We could look to the ITM Cup I suppose. I wouldn't mind getting Lima Sopoanga, who's probably equal 2nd choice at the Highlanders right now and has those Wellington links we seem to love so much at the Rebels.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

Situati
Leafa
Sidey
Hegarty

Saffy
Dyer
Cruze Ah Nau
Aholelei

Thought I saw something a couple of weeks ago about Rory Sidey re-signing. Will see if I can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.