• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RBS 6 Nations 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anybody else find the standard of the 6 nations boring rugby this year. Think they really should bring in bonus points for scoring trys, 4 trys this weekend in 3 games of Rugby does not really make for good viewing.

Heineken Cup teams at least go out and try to attack, the 6 nations it's defend till we get a chance to kick for 3 points. I know that teams have had a lot of injuries and so on but how good would it be to see a team actually able to show they can play entertaining rugby.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Anybody else find the standard of the 6 nations boring rugby this year. Think they really should bring in bonus points for scoring trys, 4 trys this weekend in 3 games of Rugby does not really make for good viewing.

Heineken Cup teams at least go out and try to attack, the 6 nations it's defend till we get a chance to kick for 3 points. I know that teams have had a lot of injuries and so on but how good would it be to see a team actually able to show they can play entertaining rugby.

It has been a poor 6 nations quality wise thats for sure. I think there have been a few factors:
. Some games have been played in really poor conditions (IrevEng, IrevFra)
. Some games have been ruined by awful referring (ScovWal)
. The 6 nations coaches don't seem to trust their players skills and decision making (with good reason in some cases) therefore all teams are set up to play low risk rugby with the most negative team the only unbeaten side. Italy have probably played the best rugby and will finish last, which says it all really.

I think bonus points might help in the short term but what we really need is the NH and SH season running in tandem. This gives the NH international teams more time in camp together to work and (in theory) better weather which would hopefully lead to better rugby.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Given both England and Wales look better when the kick deep and defend aggressively it could be a bit of a bore fest on Saturday. If Wales go out and try to run riot I think they'll be giving the advantage to England. Given Wales have the stronger set piece they should keep it simple and if they do I'd back them to win.
England would be better dropping Ashton and playing another full back, it would complete their "kick it away and defend well" tactical approach.
I am not sure you will get away with giving that Welsh backline, with their tails up at home and needing an eight point win, a rake of ball. I really fancy Wales to win this one, they are playing the best of any of the teams. Whether they will win by eight points I don't know but it would be amusing if they did. God but Ireland have thrown away another six nations!!!

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
There is a French lad on Munsterfans who reckons PSA's terrible management is a put up job so the FFR have got some power to negotiate with the clubs over the number of foreigners in the T14. Seems far fetched to me but not beyond the realms of possibility.

It's a popular theory in France. A French mate of mine hypothesised it after the first week of the 6N. The FFR and LNR renegotiate their deal in, from memory, July, and the issues go beyond the number of foreign players.

Currently the LNR own the players, hence control their availability. The FFR's dream is to have the players centrally contracted. In fact, they had a decent breakthrough with the LNR during this 6N when the LNR agreed for the first time to rest the players from Top-14 during the tournament. Yet PSA didn't get to keep them together as a squad. They returned to their clubs. Just didn't play.

The key to the negotiations is going to be the personnel involved on both sides. Serge Blanco, who used to run the LNR, will lead the FFR negotiations. When he jumped ship from the LNR he installed a good mate of his, Paul Goze from Perpignan, as President of the LNR. It'll be interesting to see whether Blanco, master operator, can - as he sees it - save French rugby at international level.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Hopefully a dry day in Rome and we can see some good rugby played, would love BOD to bow out of the 6 nations with a few tries in the sun!

Early forecast here for Rome is steady rain during the week but fining up on Saturday. Fingers crossed. I'm going down to Rome for the game.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Given Wales have the stronger set piece they should keep it simple

Yes, the set piece will be key. The England front row is mighty suspect. And the Welsh forwards have to turn up and hit hard. It was a bizarre England performance yesterday. Care was rubbish and it was as though Flood's teammates had never seen him play before. His shtick is to dive into gaps, free his arms and offload to runners on his shoulder. Rarely did he have a runner with him. Some England fans are blaming Flood for upsetting the game plan - that is, not playing as a Farrell clone. Which is bollocks. They just didn't adjust to Flood. Youngs and Farrell back together next week will be a different proposition. England will be back in their comfort zone. That's where the Welsh forwards have to work their arses off to disrupt the comfort zone.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
RBS 6 Nations Championship

TeamPlayedWonDrawnLostForAgainstPoints
1 England 4 4 0 0 91 48 8
2 Wales 4 3 0 1 92 63 6
3 Scotland 4 2 0 2 82 84 4
4 Ireland 4 1 1 2 57 59 3
5 Italy 4 1 0 3 53 96 2
6 France 4 0 1 3 50 75 1

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)

The first weekend of this year's 6Ns was very high quality but the rest has been no where near. Would like to see bonus points in too, they're in almost every other competition so why not the 6Ns.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
There was also decent weather for the first 6N weekend. Every weekend since has seen conditions varying from poor to dire. It doesn't excuse some shocking performances - hullo France - but it's a factor.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hoping Wales find the form from the world cup out of no where and beat England by 14 points or more, stop the Poms winning what has been the most boring 6 nations in a long time, the most enjoyable game I thought was Scotland v Italy.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Hoping Wales find the form from the world cup out of no where and beat England by 14 points or more, stop the Poms winning what has been the most boring 6 nations in a long time, the most enjoyable game I thought was Scotland v Italy.
Wales need to win by eight which I think they will, they are in the best form of any team, the momentum is with them.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Yes, the set piece will be key. The England front row is mighty suspect. And the Welsh forwards have to turn up and hit hard. It was a bizarre England performance yesterday. Care was rubbish and it was as though Flood's teammates had never seen him play before. His shtick is to dive into gaps, free his arms and offload to runners on his shoulder. Rarely did he have a runner with him. Some England fans are blaming Flood for upsetting the game plan - that is, not playing as a Farrell clone. Which is bollocks. They just didn't adjust to Flood. Youngs and Farrell back together next week will be a different proposition. England will be back in their comfort zone. That's where the Welsh forwards have to work their arses off to disrupt the comfort zone.
A lot depends on whether Walsh lets the Orcs lie all over the ball, quick ball to the Welsh backline which is starting to purr a bit and then Tuilagi's size will become a defensive liability. Is Farrell going to be fit? Thought it was a hamstring which is a tricky injury for a youngster to manage.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Given both England and Wales look better when the kick deep and defend aggressively it could be a bit of a bore fest on Saturday. If Wales go out and try to run riot I think they'll be giving the advantage to England. Given Wales have the stronger set piece they should keep it simple and if they do I'd back them to win.
England would be better dropping Ashton and playing another full back, it would complete their "kick it away and defend well" tactical approach.

I'd love to see the centres be given some space but don't think it'll happen at least until Brynomor's Boy comes on at scrum half

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good god! IRB latest
Wales are up to 5th now ahead of France.

Wales are the only climbers on the back of the penultimate round of RBS 6 Nations matches, bit weird mind, the defending champions swapping places with France to occupy fifth place in the latest IRB World Rankings. We re just 5/10ths ahead so I guess if we lose Saturday and France win we'll plummet from these giddy heights again.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Back to the roof thing. Seem to remember that Wales gives the opposition the choice. Think we should break protocol on this and do the opposite to what they want. If they want it closed, we'll open it.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

I'm not sure that the standard has been boring. Piss poor, yes but the weather has been attrocious over there all Winter

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wales need to win by eight which I think they will, they are in the best form of any team, the momentum is with them.
Been pondering this too (not getting much work done ATM). I want a win. Given how piss poor we were in the first half against Ireland, we can hardly complain if we win by 1 and have to suffer the orc being presented with the trophy.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
It has been a poor 6 nations quality wise thats for sure. I think there have been a few factors:

I think bonus points might help in the short term but what we really need is the NH and SH season running in tandem. This gives the NH international teams more time in camp together to work and (in theory) better weather which would hopefully lead to better rugby.

Players would be knackered if they play top 14, various cups and then start internationals. Or are you suggesting switchin SH season to summer? ... Nah, not gonna happen

Status
Not open for further replies.