• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RBS 6 Nations 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I don't see what would be wrong with removing the hit, having the scrum fold together, then a straight feed and a fair contest once the ball is in. I'm all for the physical side of rugby but watching a bunch of 18st plus guys trying to untangle themselves from what looks like a game of twister that's gone badly wrong in order to reset and do the same thing over again is not entertaining unless you have a fetish for that kind of thing.

The only draw back I can see to a stationary start with a straight feed, then contest, is that from the Ref cam it would appear that the referee is rarely in a position to even see the feed let alone judge if it's straight or not.

Also on the flip side in the defence of referees this thing with players going over to officials to voice their opinion soccer style needs to be stamped out. A few yellow cards here and there, rather than telling the captain the player has a bit too much to say, wouldn't go amiss. Hopefully the IRB will do something about it before it becomes the norm.

This.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
55 minutes gone, score is 15-11 to England. Only try scored by Italy about 5 minutes ago and momentum is with Italy at the moment. To be fair though, England have blown two, maybe three try opportunities.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Hope England are this poor in Cardiff next week but I won't hold my breath. Lol

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
18-11 and it's now 74 minutes. Italy are camped in the England 22 hitting it up, making yards gradually.

2 minutes past and after wave after wave of pressure, Italy knock it on at the back of the ruck, 5 metres out.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Final score 18-11 to England.
84-16 possession to Italy in the second half lol, but England's defence stood resolute to deny Italy a second try.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Woke up too late. Now knowing the score, Glad I did. Nothing worse that cheering on someone else's team in a brave but ultimately futile fight aganst the orc. Trouble is with a scoreline like that and Bairdy's match analysis, my curve's already out of control and it's only Monday. C'mon Boys, let's do this!!

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
England had their chance in the first half. Plenty of possession but with their forwards mainly AWOL, Flood overplaying his hand, the ball going mainly sideways and a very strong Italian defence, it amounted to not much. Manu was getting the ball shovelled sideways with Masi and others sitting waiting to chop him down. Their back row is unbalanced, no strong ball carrier, and Croft and Lawes on the bench didn't help the problem.

Good Italy - of the French game - were back. It's not all down to Parisse's presence but he makes a hell of a difference. Just a pity the useless Gonzales was on the pitch instead of Benvenuti. Benvenuti's speed and skills would have made a difference against England's sloppy defence.

Yet another George Clancy shocker. Italy pinged for going off their feet and sealing off, England did it with impunity all day, particularly under severe pressure at the end. Ignored Vunipola's paw on the ground, and Marler's when he came on. Even awarded England a scrum penalty with Marler's paw on the ground. Nick off, George.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hmm. Looks like Walsh is not such a bad choice for next Saturday after performances of messrs Clancey and Joubert. He's the only one who didn't have a shocker. Not a great indicment for elite reffing.

Rule #1 should be:

(b) Where the sole judge of fact and law is an incompetent buffoon, it is the duty of the incompetent buffoon to apply an equal amount of incompetent buffoonery to both sides.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Joubert, in form, is the best of them, I think, but he's not in form. I'd take Walsh in front of him at the moment.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Joubert, in form, is the best of them, I think, but he's not in form. I'd take Walsh in front of him at the moment.
How did Italy go at outside half? Didn't see the team sheet. Was the the only major weakness against Wales and Scotland IMO and has been for a while, 'specially in the rain. Trouble is with a scoreline like that I'll have to trawl the internet this week to find a full match to analyse and send thoughts to Howler

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Orquera was very good. It helped that he had a platform in the second half when the Italian forwards were on top. Crossfield kick to set up McLean's try, always sniping, keeping the shoddy England defence guessing. Missed a couple of kicks, unfortunately. He can be a defensive liability - but not today - but he's the closest thing Brunel has to a 10 who can create and has to be persisted with. Thankfully Burton was dropped from the 23 altogether. For that matter, Gori at 9 and Botes - when he came on - were better than their England equivalents.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Orquera was very good. It helped that he had a platform in the second half when the Italian forwards were on top. Crossfield kick to set up McLean's try, always sniping, keeping the shoddy England defence guessing. Missed a couple of kicks, unfortunately. He can be a defensive liability - but not today - but he's the closest thing Brunel has to a 10 who can create and has to be persisted with. Thankfully Burton was dropped from the 23 altogether. For that matter, Gori at 9 and Botes - when he came on - were better than their England equivalents.
Stop it! You're giving me hope! and that is a very very bad thing. You've already got me seeking out Delme's thoughts on Walesonline and by my ready reckoner we need to win by >7pts. Oh jeez, so much is going to hang on Walsh not having a bad hair day

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
And whilst I'm on the subject of Plastic, seem to remember one of his pet hates (apart from Lions team) was the 'meat grinder' that is the top 14. During my absence I've come to the conclusion that he was right. It's certainly not doing french side any good. One good game in the RWC and the rest of the time they played, well... just like they are now. It can't just be their coaches make Wales' pre-gatland choices such as Gyppo look like geniuses
There is a French lad on Munsterfans who reckons PSA's terrible management is a put up job so the FFR have got some power to negotiate with the clubs over the number of foreigners in the T14. Seems far fetched to me but not beyond the realms of possibility.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I very rarely craiticise a ref but, I have just wittnessed one, if not the worst display by an international ref SA's Jourbert, Warburton was given MOM but Adam Jones was immense
Jebus Jones has come back to form, immense yesterday, him and James could make hay against England next weekend. Will Wales want to keep the roof open if it is raining? Would make sense because the English scrum is a real weakness IMHO.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Dan Cole hasn't had a great 6 nations at all, I think their front row misses the illegal scrumming of Corbiserio.
Can see Wales doing something similar to Ireland a few years ago, and blowing England away at the set piece and using it as a foundation to win the game. How often would Wales have prayed for rain against the Orcs?
Hopefully Jonny Sexton is back for Ireland, we've missed him big time the results in all the games he missed would have been very different I think. Hopefully a dry day in Rome and we can see some good rugby played, would love BOD to bow out of the 6 nations with a few tries in the sun!

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Reddan and McFadden out for Ireland at the weekend, according to the Irish Times Gilroy Sexton and Fitzpatrick will be available again

Would like to see:

Healy, Cronin, Fitzpatrick, Tuohy, McCarthey, Henderson, SOB, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Fitzgerald, Marshall, BOD, Gilroy, Kearney

Cronin and Fitzpatrick in, nothing wrong with Best and Ross but this is a nothing game so lets see how they handle the Italians in Rome. Ryan is clearly injured time for a break. Henderson deserves a go.

What we will see is Gilroy and Sexton back in the team as the only changes, Kidney will flog the frontliners until the bitter end.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jebus Jones has come back to form, immense yesterday, him and James could make hay against England next weekend. Will Wales want to keep the roof open if it is raining? Would make sense because the English scrum is a real weakness IMHO.
This seems to be occupying the minds of most of my compatriots. Do we stick the winning formula or finally use the centres as more than tackling machines? Play a re-enactment of Passchendaele roof open with Biggar, Philips and 1/2p kicking the hell out of the ball. Or do we run at the orc like the Italians seem to have done. I want the latter. Oh Lord! please let them pick Ashton

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
There is a French lad on Munsterfans who reckons PSA's terrible management is a put up job so the FFR have got some power to negotiate with the clubs over the number of foreigners in the T14. Seems far fetched to me but not beyond the realms of possibility.
Mad idea, but given the way they are playing anything is possible

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
This seems to be occupying the minds of most of my compatriots. Do we stick the winning formula or finally use the centres as more than tackling machines? Play a re-enactment of Passchendaele roof open with Biggar, Philips and 1/2p kicking the hell out of the ball. Or do we run at the orc like the Italians seem to have done. I want the latter. Oh Lord! please let them pick Ashton

Given both England and Wales look better when the kick deep and defend aggressively it could be a bit of a bore fest on Saturday. If Wales go out and try to run riot I think they'll be giving the advantage to England. Given Wales have the stronger set piece they should keep it simple and if they do I'd back them to win.
England would be better dropping Ashton and playing another full back, it would complete their "kick it away and defend well" tactical approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.