• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2024

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Yeh, the not-so-subtle dig was a few of those board members seemed to think Reds coaching was more important than RWC coaching and his ‘see you in November’ attitude wasn’t good enough.
Can you really blame them for having their organisations best interest in mind?

It's quite possible that Argentina at least gets through to the Quarters, which would be a mid-October finish. By the time Chieka gets back to Aus, has a quick break you're looking at November before he's turning up to training.

With the 24 season possibly kicking off in February, that gives you 2-3 months with Christmas in the middle to meet your team, see who you need to recruit, put in a training plan, oversee training and get your players ready.

It makes little sense to have someone like Chieka or someone seriously invovled at the RWC as the head coach as you're doing your club a massive disservice for preparing in the next season.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I wouldn’t take Cheika. He’s a gun for hire. Always looking for the next opportunity.

Now that is something I follow. It's a different take than having a problem with his availability during the RWC though.

Alex Ross (28)
I wouldn’t take Cheika. He’s a gun for hire. Always looking for the next opportunity.
Weird comment. Most people are agreed that sticking around too long was the issue for the Wallabies.
If the Reds really pass up on Cheika over a couple of months schedule due to the RWC, then they better be sitting on a Top shelf option instead. If they’d prefer to just take some chump because he’s got nothing better to do then best of luck!!

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It’s not like the entire Reds squad and organisation would be sitting on their hands waiting for the coach to turn up.

The majority of the Reds leadership group will be in France as well.

Re your comment Reg. If something is to be learnt from the Thorn run, maybe having a high level coach rotate into the role every 2-3 years is what’s needed to keep things moving. I’m not sure where Heenan is falling in all this, but would it be so bad to take a ‘gun for hire’ for a couple of years and then keep Heenan on a pathway to be the next company man to take the HC job?

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm sure the board recognise that most candidates would have other commitments they are obliged to fulfil before coming across. In a World Cup year, and for someone of Cheika's profile, it seems bizarre that they deem it unreasonable for him to be unavailable for a few months.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm sure the board recognise that most candidates would have other commitments they are obliged to fulfil before coming across. In a World Cup year, and for someone of Cheika's profile, it seems bizarre that they deem it unreasonable for him to be unavailable for a few months.
I guess it depends on what was actually said, is he totally not wanting to think about absolutely anything Reds related or just major coaching things?

My guess would be he wants to have his options open in case something else comes along post world cup.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If we are to be considering a decent HC list in this time frame, I'd hope that it would have more than one who have RWC commitments. If we are avoiding that sort of current employment, it's going to be a pretty poor list.

If a candidate can't leave the board thinking they will lock in for 3 years then it probably wasn't the best interview. FWIW, and clearly not having been present in the discussions, Cheika seems to be me to have been committed in each of his tenures once he made the call.

I'm not saying that Cheika is the best guy for the job, but if our list is good enough to rule him out, wow, that is one hell of a candidate list.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If a candidate can't leave the board thinking they will lock in for 3 years then it probably wasn't the best interview. FWIW, and clearly not having been present in the discussions, Cheika seems to be me to have been committed in each of his tenures once he made the call.

My understanding is that he didn’t have an interview.

Was sought out by the Reds as their primary candidate, submitted his EOI with his terms and said that’s what I’ve got for you, if you want me I’ll see you in November and that was the end of the comms.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
If Cheika is their man you don't not get him because he's late by 2 months. You cop that, if you believe he's the best fit.
I'd also add that the Reds aren't signing a coach for just 2024.

Yeah, it's not the perfect pre season prep but most of the top coaching candidates worldwide could be involved in the RWC in some capacity if they aren't locked up by a professional team already.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My understanding is that he didn’t have an interview.

Was sought out by the Reds as their primary candidate, submitted his EOI with his terms and said that’s what I’ve got for you, if you want me I’ll see you in November and that was the end of the comms.

Ok, sounds like ruling the guy out is not such a silly thing. Not being involved before November is one thing, not interviewing until then is another.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I think the big issue here would be lack of input into recruitment and retention. Understand RWC is priority, but you can’t wait until November to look at the squad for 2024, it’s too late then.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
U18s winger Toshi Butlin has signed for Pau in France for 3 years.. This one seems really out of the blue.

Is he one that's gotten away or has Pau just gone for a long shot on a tiny contract?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the big issue here would be lack of input into recruitment and retention. Understand RWC is priority, but you can’t wait until November to look at the squad for 2024, it’s too late then.

I mentioned this earlier but didn't get a response from anyone - is Heenan still on the ground at HQ?

Any new potential head coach involved with a RWC team will have limited availability to plan/recruit/retain players on more than a superficial level until November. Having someone like Heenan on the ground at Ballymore running through prelim player scouting and potential offers is a no brainer.

The Reds have to hold some blame for the timing of this, not just a potential new coach like Cheika brushing them. It's not like he's said 'I'm off sailing, see you in a few months'. The RWC only falls every 4 years, the Reds have chosen to make a big shift in their organisation during a busy period in rugby.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I mentioned this earlier but didn't get a response from anyone - is Heenan still on the ground at HQ?

Any new potential head coach involved with a RWC team will have limited availability to plan/recruit/retain players on more than a superficial level until November. Having someone like Heenan on the ground at Ballymore running through prelim player scouting and potential offers is a no brainer.

The Reds have to hold some blame for the timing of this, not just a potential new coach like Cheika brushing them. It's not like he's said 'I'm off sailing, see you in a few months'. The RWC only falls every 4 years, the Reds have chosen to make a big shift in their organisation during a busy period in rugby.

Video of the team doing the tour of the new facility today shows Heeno, Blake and McKay all there.