• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Bugger about Daugunu - but at least he will still play for Wests.

Pretty much a 101 in why Super Rugby will die in this country, our professional teams don’t have strong enough club comps to provide adequate depth. Not complaining about Alex Mafi playing for GPS this weekend though.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Rebels are going to use the QPR and West as their primary development pathway, they should inject cash into the club to help improve the standard.
I do wonder how much of a future the current setup has - assuming the points caps being trialled are going to eventually come in it won't be workable for the Rebels players to all flow back into a couple of QPR clubs, particularly after the super season. What exactly that means for the Rebels and 'their' development pathways going forward remains to be seen, but I feel like it might be a tumultuous couple of years before it's all worked out.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I do wonder how much of a future the current setup has - assuming the points caps being trialled are going to eventually come in it won't be workable for the Rebels players to all flow back into a couple of QPR clubs, particularly after the super season. What exactly that means for the Rebels and 'their' development pathways going forward remains to be seen, but I feel like it might be a tumultuous couple of years before it's all worked out.
Perhaps for QPR something like current Reds and previous QPR players for other clubs only being given exception for finals?

Last edited:

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Daugugu is a huge loss IMO. One of very few line bending backs we currently had.

Lots of talented players but besides the injury prone Petaia and Paisami I don't see anyone else with that ability.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Perhaps something like current Reds and previous QPR players for other clubs only being given exception for finals?
The problem is club rugby finishes after Super Rugby. Few Super Rugby players are going to align themselves with a club team who aren’t going to make the finals. Meaning the strong get stronger, the weak get weaker.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Perhaps for QPR something like current Reds and previous QPR players for other clubs only being given exception for finals?
There would be no reason to bring in a points cap designed to level the talent and then immediately exempt the top levels of that talent. There are discounts around time at a club but at the end of the day the whole point of a cap system is to prevent individual clubs being stacked with pros above and beyond the others, particularly in the backend of the season.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
NRL clubs partner with QRL clubs and provide funding for the clubs, recently Dolphins did this with a $2milllion multi year deal partnering with the Northern Devils.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Daugugu is a huge loss IMO. One of very few line bending backs we currently had.

Lots of talented players but besides the injury prone Petaia and Paisami I don't see anyone else with that ability.
Uru at 8 and Wilson to 13:D

Maybe this forces Vunivalu into the centres?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Uru at 8 and Wilson to 13:D

Maybe this forces Vunivalu into the centres?
Daugunu definitely had a good turn at 13 and I'm sad to lose him, but are we that short of options at 13? Paisami, Flook and Petaia all have good experience there and O'Connor can cover it. Annan is not there yet but is still very young so good build to cover 13 as well as 12 in time. I definitely wouldn't mind if we pulled Ripley back from the rebels though.

There is also young Frankie Goldsbrough coming through in the centres with big wraps on him, though I'd think (and probably prefer) that he doesn't see too much time until at least the 25/26 seasons.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
When is Isaac Henry due back on rugby field? He played with Australia A last year. I wonder if he can get back in the mixer soon health wise and show the reds new coach & Eddie jones he’s a handy option to play somewhere in midfield or even the halves

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Henry is probably the biggest beneficiary of Daugunu leaving, I know he’s not a winger but means there is a slot somewhere in the backs that will need to be filled. He’s currently the Reds new Chris F-S, lots of potential but barley gets on the park.