• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Doran has either been reading these forums or the mail about Cheika’s attitude was pretty spot on based on that closing paragraph.

For me it should be either Kiss or Cheika, I’d be genuinely happy with either. Not so much the other short listed names.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
That list blows.

Kiss probably the safest hands… Keep Heenan on for a couple years and all going well take over?

What’s Greys record with the U20s? 3 wins 4 losses and a draw from what I can remember off the top of my head. Not counting the warm up v Barbarians.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
That list blows.

Kiss probably the safest hands… Keep Heenan on for a couple years and all going well take over?

What’s Greys record with the U20s? 3 wins 4 losses and a draw from what I can remember off the top of my head. Not counting the warm up v Barbarians.
Grey was crap as tahs defence, but mate cheika took him to wallabies as their defence - equally as crap, now U20s coach.

Same was with Gilmore - Good at U20, was a crap reds assistant, then back to U20, then to tahs assistant where is also average.

Go with Les. Heenan as # 1 assistant. Kefu with forwards. Les may not know the QLD pathways, but sure as shit bet Kefu and Heenan do.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nathan Grey pls if Les isn’t available.
I don’t like his chances though.

Like ghost pointed out the first crack of HC u20 hasn’t been a ^^50% record. That probably scares off a lot of people on him.

He’s not perfect but he has a great resume, I’m not surprised his interviews went well

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I have no doubt he can talk the talk and all the crap they love in their coaching levels but the record just doesn’t show it.

If he was a player you’d say nup not up to it. Plenty of coaches floating around would kill for so many opportunities.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Greys ability to evolve and change when his defence was being ripped to shreds is very concerning about his ability to be a HC.

I can't see the link as I don't have a twitter account/thanks Elon. Can someone please post the names?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
That list blows.

My memory may be fading, but wasn't Grey defensive coach for the Wallabies and when we got pommelled he said it was an easy fix, and he failed to fix it?

Loved watching him play, but don't think he should be coaching the Reds, unless he can continue an association with the U20's and recruit every decent junior in the country because they think he is the key to rep footy.

I don't like the idea of future planning when Kiss has not started, especially if it is only a couple of years. I want a coach who builds us to success in a few seasons and then stays for a few more with champion teams, then hand over. If Heenan is coach in 2-3 years then Kiss has either failed or doesn't care.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Please not Grey, limited as a footballer, did nothing as tahs and Wallabies defence coach and underwhelming as u20 coach. He completely lost me when moaning about the ref against Ireland. Complete lack of leadership there. He may boardroom present well but his results are poor.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Les Kiss is not someone you want to turnaround a culture of ill discipline..

He is however highly experienced and generally regarded as a meticulous coach who rebuilds programs.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

He is always however highly experienced and generally regarded as a meticulous coach who rebuilds programs.
That's the big issue I have with him too, but I guess there is some hope that in a new role he'll try a new approach, having been burnt by ill discipline at London Irish previously.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)

He is however highly experienced and generally regarded as a meticulous coach who rebuilds programs.

I’d say the Reds on-field discipline as a whole has improved compared to previous seasons where ‘unforced penalties’ were higher.

There penalty rate is still too high, but penalties are also a reflection of pressure, and other areas of the Reds game was putting them under more pressure forcing these penalties. There is the exception or two with guys like Zander still giving away stupid penalties.

Last edited:

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
My issue with Les is he had an absolute weapon of a squad and didn’t do much with it. They folded faster than a deck chair away from home against any and all opposition.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
OK, we're saying that on this occasion the term "culture" meant discipline? Out of interest why the negativity on Kiss in that regard?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’d say the Reds on-field discipline as a whole has improved compared to previous seasons where ‘unforced penalties’ were higher.

There penalty rate is still too high, but penalties are also a reflection of pressure, and other areas of the Reds game was putting them under more pressure forcing these penalties. There is the exception or two with guys like Zander still giving away stupid penalties.
There definitely was improvement on the discipline side of things, but it doesn't feel "sticky" yet. I could see us backsliding pretty quick if it's not a focus for a new coach.

OK, we're saying that on this occasion the term "culture" meant discipline? Out of interest why the negativity on Kiss in that regard?
London Irish had a pretty terrible run of reds, yellows and penalties the last few years under him. Some of it can be put on problem players like Simmons and Coleman, but they were far from the only offenders.

Reactions: dru