• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quarter Finals : NZ vs SA teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

galumay

Conditions look to be atrocious, unfortunate for the fans. Like last night it will no doubt bring the weaker team into the game to some extent.

Imagine how much the Canes would have won by if the conditions were better!!

Seriously though, they really showed their maturity in that game, as mst says above.

The silliness of the current conference system has really been exposed this weekend.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
That was simply a lesson from the Canes, on a number of levels. First, a lesson to the Sharks of how to play rugby, and then to the rest of Super Rugby about how to make the minor changes to their game plan to enable them to play to the conditions. And in doing so, they highlighted the lack of intelligence behind the current conference system.

The gap between Super Rugby teams from NZ and Aus is deflating, but from NZ to SA it is simply appalling. Lions just might justify their spot in the QFs, but no way should there be a third guaranteed spot for a SA side. I have every expectation that given an even playing field, both the Tahs and the Brumbies would finish above the Sharks and Stormers on the log, but probably still below the Blues.

Something drastic will need to be done to fix the competition next year or Super Rugby will continue to lose fans at games in an ever accelerating pace.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
but from NZ to SA it is simply appalling.
Did I read somehwere that of the Sharks 10 wins this season, 7 have been against the bottom 7 teams in the comp, and the other 3 were against the Bulls, the Brumbies and the Transvaal Primary School Burn Clinic 3rd XV?

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Setting the scrum too far apart, Crockatt gets too extended against a far shorter prop. Always, always going to go down.

And refs just fkn penalise instead of fixing the engagement.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Joubert has let every forward pass go.

In fact he's having an out and out shocker.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Lions playing pretty bloody well. Crusaders have lacked a little composure with the ball.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Chiefs 34 - 14 Stormers at half time.

So, next week.

Hurricanes v Chiefs

Lions v Highlanders

Tough draw for the Chiefs and Clan. Will be up against it with all the travel. Top 2 sides should get through and if the Chiefs manage to upset the Canes it may be it may be the Lions year.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Did I read somehwere that of the Sharks 10 wins this season, 7 have been against the bottom 7 teams in the comp, and the other 3 were against the Bulls, the Brumbies and the Transvaal Primary School Burn Clinic 3rd XV?

Sharks might be claiming a win over the Brumbies, but I am pretty sure the two sides never met this year. Brumbies went down to the Stormers with the help of two of the most biased refereeing decisions of the year, while the Brumbies won over the Bulls, Cheetahs and Sunwolves if I recall correctly.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Stormers hadnt played a NZ side all season.

They have now.

Chiefs waltz in and gleefully apply the ax-murder napalm deth blowtorch to the tune of 60 points.

Away from home.

P49_7_spock.jpg

"Captain, after viewing this match it appears to me that the entire 'Super Rugby' competition's structure makes little sense. South Africa generates 70% of the competitions TV money, yet very, very few viewers actually turn up at their stadiums to watch. I have concluded that the vast majority of the South African sides perform at an undeserving level considering the biased privileges afforded them by those reliant on the South African 70% cash infusion for their livelihood. This is obvious even to the laymen TV viewer, and thus undermines the entire competitions concept of fair play, sowing the seeds for product dissatisfaction for both a, the foreign viewer and b, the South African viewer, who is a fellow who doesnt see a NZ side all season and then when they finally do, for a rigged up undeserving home playoff game, their local heroes have their bumcracks ripped asunder by patently superior opposition and thus the fan finishes their season thinking 'well, why were we there in the first place?'. Highly illogical."

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm not sure how you arrange this better, but with the exception of the Lions the SA teams seem way off the pace, and the NZ teams a mile in front.

You would have to say the Tahs and the Blues were well ahead of the Sharks and Stormers, worth noting that the Tahs, who could only manage one win against NZ sides, beat every SA side they played.

It seems to me that one of the two best sides in Super rugby this year will be eliminated next week.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
The Highlanders and Chiefs have a very hard path (travel-wise) to the title win.

The Chiefs have just gone to SA, must come back play the Hurricanes, then (if the Lions win) fly back to SA again.

The Highlanders got back from SA-Argentina road trip 2 weeks ago, now must fly to SA, beat the Lions, then fly back to NZ to beat either the Chiefs or Canes.

Lions and Canes in pole position. The loss of Coles is big for the Canes.

G

galumay

Lions were very good against the Saders, as I said earlier in the season, there will be something very wrong if the Lions dont win this year with the structure of the stupid conference system favouring them so much. This game being the ultimate example, they had such a ride through the season that they could afford to play none of their 1st 23 last week, lose by more than 8 points and still hold a home final. They are a good side, playing well but the advantage created by the ridiculous structure of the conferences and draw made it pretty inevitable that they would go all the way.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
The Lions deserve their spot.
The Stormers' loss highlights the idiocy of the current format.

It's almost unfair on the Stormers not getting to play tougher opposition during the regular season.

The Lions obviously deserve their spot. Going to be tough for the Highlanders to win this semi with the travel done. It's been SA-ARG-NZ-AUS-SA consecutively now, with travel back to NZ if they win.

^Great minds think alike FrankLind

Status
Not open for further replies.