• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
QC (Quade Cooper) is 24 IIRC. After 3 (or is it 4) years in Frogland, under IRB residency grounds he will be eligible to play for Les Bleus.

HJ pretty sure they repealed those rules years ago. QC (Quade Cooper) can never play for any other country.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
HJ pretty sure they repealed those rules years ago. QC (Quade Cooper) can never play for any other country.

That is good then.

Could you imagine what an inform Quade Le Cooper would be like leading a French backline?

I'd pay to see that (especially against the Soap Dodgers).

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Just one question, do you think that Cooper has taken no part or has been a protagonist?
I don't know, just like the overwhelming majority of contributors to this thread.
My opinion is that he and his management haven't handled the situation very well at all.
The point I was making is that there seems to be a man management issue within the Wallabies.
Does anyone think Kobe Bryant or Shaq or Campo or Warne would have been easy to manage?
NO, but somehow their coaches, managers and/or captains man managed them to bring out their best.
Who is doing this within the ARU camp?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I've finally got up to the current page on this after being away for the weekend. I know we've moved on (somewhat) but I need to say my piece.

I support Quade in this - I like the guy as a player and for what he does off the field. I don't endorse how he handled this mess.

The ARU really has not handled this well. Neither has Quade, but in his defence he's not that bright and in any case, he has been punished for his part he played. What is the ARU's defence for acting like a bunch of petulant children?

Those that say that Quade has been offered an acceptable contract on the basis that if he plays all the tests he will earn a shitload are being overly simplistic. He could be on an incentive based contract with a match fee of a million dollars per game and it would be worth the same amount because he won't be selected.

JOC (James O'Connor) ticks pretty much all the same boxes as Quade has, with the possible exception of JOC (James O'Connor) being more self centred than Quade. He has disrespected the Wallaby jersey, he has been long-term injured, and the games he did play, weren't that great (what do you expect from someone coming back from a long term injury). Yet if anyone suggested that Australia could afford to let him leave the game there would be howls of derision coming from all corners.

Lastly, I like the way that the Quade knockers like to link this saga to your every day Joe in their every day job. eg. "If I behaved like this at work then I would be sacked" and so on. Quade isn't every day Joe and he's not working in an every day job. Who here would be happy with turning up to work, destroying their knee on the job and then being told, you know you haven't been at work for a while because of your bung knee so you're really not that valuable to us any more. We're going to make you a casual"??

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Didn't the Soap Dodger #8 Waldrom play for the Darkness, or did he peak out at Super Rugby for the Wellington team?
That was his brother Scott. A great player but not an AB style player. Used to be very entertaining on the Rugby Roundtable podcast.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't know how many times this needs to be said, the ARU offered Quade a contract and he is rejecting it.
It wasn't a contract that was offered, but an insult to his playing ability. Even you Qwerty51, would walk away from that revised offer if you were of QC (Quade Cooper)'s ability.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That's the downside of insisting on short term contracts and treating each negotiation like a stand alone transaction.
You forget that the ARU supported him during the laptopgate, 6 months later he has a gun to their head saying unless you pay me more then anyone else it's adios motherfucker.
Same again a year ago.
Now that he does not have the same bargaining power, it's wrong that his employer says to him that we now perceive your value as x dollars?
Make no mistake QC (Quade Cooper) has gone for the best deal for QC (Quade Cooper), each time his contract was due.He will do so again this time.
The only difference is that this time the best deal may not be with the ARU.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
No matter what job you have, if you were publicly telling people that it's a shit-house place to work for (your immediate manager is cool but everyone else is crap) and if they called you up and asked to work you'd have to decline them......how can you then expect your employer to make you feel valued?

Bottom line for me is this.....he said it wasn't about money and he wants to stay and play for the Reds. No-one is stopping him from doing that and still getting paid $400K for it!

I'm backing the ARU - no one is bigger than the game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
from fitz's article

Sometime, somewhere, someone needed to sit him down and say, “Quade, you have more raw talent in your little finger than most players have in their whole bodies, but, in the end that is not enough. You have to get a grip, my man, settle down, train hard, work on developing your game and every time you feel like having a whinge, do a hundred sit-ups and a hundred push-ups until the urge passes.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/quade-coopers-brilliance-burnt-out-too-quickly-20121120-29n39.html#ixzz2CiqOBdS9

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At the end of the day, QC (Quade Cooper) chose to take the punt that his value would rise so he signed a one year contract.

He then played poorly at the RWC, got injured, couldn't recapture his previous form and then got injured again.

What are the ARU meant to do? Say, bad luck Quade, we really hoped you'd be playing fantastically so we'd have to offer you much more money for your new contract but you didn't, so we'll give you the same deal again for one year and hope you milk us for every dollar you can next year?

He gambled on being able to increase his worth and lost.

If James O'Connor was currently trying to sign a contract for 2013 after being injured all season, I'm sure he'd be struggling to get the same money he did previously. He signed for two years last year from what I can tell. If he struggles again with injury next year then I imagine he'll be in a similar position of struggling to secure a big money contract with the ARU.

To say that Robbie Deans won't select Quade Cooper is pure speculation in my opinion. Deans selected him three times this year in a very limited window when Quade Cooper was healthy. Arguably the first Bledisloe Test this year was the only time Cooper hasn't been selected when fit since at least 2010.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah but when was it negotiated? Obviously the ARU must have given him a pretty big carrot to convince him to postpone retirement TWICE to lead the side.

But at the end of 2010 (from memory) Sharpe lost his ARU top-up altogether. And look at how he responded to that adversity.

I guess it was negotiated when all the other captains fell in a heap. Negotiations went through Deans, and Sharpe basically named his price, which they finally accepted. Allegedly.

No problem with Sharpe getting it, he is a smart operator and at the moment a needed member of the team. Just don't think there is any valid comparison between his and Cooper's situations that one poster was trying to make.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
No problem with Sharpe getting it, he is a smart operator and at the moment a needed member of the team. Just don't think there is any valid comparison between his and Cooper's situations that one poster was trying to make.

I think there is a very valid comparison between Cooper's situation now and Sharpe's at the end of 2010. In both cases the ARU removed almost all support, leaving them only with provincial contracts.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't know how many times this needs to be said, the ARU offered Quade a contract and he is rejecting it.
Yes and they offered him one like the one he now thinks he should be offered and he did not accept it, and before that he chose to back himself with a 1 year contract and , right or wrong, maybe the ARU asked Deans whether he thought he'd be picking Cooper next season and maybe he said no.
Whether one thinks deans should be coach the fact is he remains in the job. Cooper doesn't approve and made it pretty clear he couldn't/wouldn't work with Deans. As head honcho to the players Deans is entitled if not obliged to flex his muscle over such outright public insubordination. So Deans would be well justified in saying he's not part of my plans because he isn't my idea of a team player.
On that basis why would the ARU top him up? It's not an extra punishment it's a realistic reflection of Coopers chances in 2013.
He needs to suck it up: he brought it on himself.
I think it sends a good message to young up and comers: you're either part of the solution or part of the problem!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.