• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade telling it how it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Are the ARU and the other states really that intent on dismantling the revival of Queensland rugby? Maybe it’s because the QRU has been showing them up by demonstrating how much better a job they should be doing. The vitriol and bile directed towards Quade by Waratahs fans is a case in point. It’s sheer jealousy and spite, nothing more. If Quade had won them a Super Rugby title, they’d be howling at the ARU right now. But they’re so bitter that they’d rather drag everyone else down to their level of mediocrity. This is only going to hurt Australian rugby as a whole, because it needs Queensland far more than any other state at the moment. A large majority of the growth in TV viewers and player participation over the last couple of years has been in Queensland. The statistics would be terrible otherwise.

If Queensland starts losing, or are forced to play ugly, Waratahs-style rugby due to the loss of Quade, watch how quickly those stats drop, and then the ARU are, as usual, going to look like fools. And just wait until the Wallabies suffer another France-like incident. We all know it’s inevitable. Australian rugby is very, very sick, I'm sad to say, and doesn't look like recovering any time soon.

Yeah I don't think this is a situation of "**** those banjo players up north!" I think this more a case of the ARU getting frustrated with all the rings Quade is trying to get them to jump through. Because you're right, the ARU have a lot to gain by keeping Quade in the code. I have a mate who named his son Cooper Quade Earls. Not even a year and a half ago he was the most loved player in Aus Rugby. Pretty much, gone are the times that the ARU is controlled by one state. I know that until these board changes are implemented that the NSWRU still have majority vote but the board would have little or nothing to do with the contract negotiations. The ARU are well aware weakening QLD rugby would be shooting themselves in the foot, because while the strength of rugby up there is massive, so is the strength of the NRL

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
He was offered a lesser contract, he is rejecting that.

Remember Quade has said there is no issue with money.

He is quitting Australian rugby.
But that's not what you said. And he hasn't said a word about the latest contract.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But that's not what you said. And he hasn't said a word about the latest contract.

What's not what I said?

So where has the reports come from that Cooper rejected the offer? Did Weidler make this up? Why is there a press conference scheduled later on. Surely as a player if you were reported as quitting the game you're currently in you'd dismiss this straight away if it's not true?

Lyall

Herbert Moran (7)
.if Quade switches to boxing it may hasten Ritchie McCaw's departure from the ABs and into a boxing career so he can punch the crap out of QC (Quade Cooper) legally.

Richie will bite his ears off but no-one will see it.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Wow - the last time I looked we were at about page 92.

It all happened so fast! Congratulations everyone.

We should have a party. But first, we need to tend to the sick and injured. What are the known casualties? I see a "deleted user" in the poster list. Have they quit rugby to post on a boxing site? Anyone else? People, find a buddy and let's count heads.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I am certain Quade will play for Queensland next year. I will make a $100 donation to G&GR if he doesn’t (I will still give the donation is he does stay at the Reds).

Why?

The whole, this contract is an insult, is what Khoder does each time an offer is tabled. He threatens his client will leave if the offer doesn’t match what he wants. He then uses the media to attempt to get public backlash. What is disappointing in this is that the excellent journalist Wayne Smith has now put his hand up to be Khoder’s mouth piece. How else do you get exclusive stories? Surely he doesn’t want to be Wielder mark II?

What vexes me is that contract discussion in the media is just one sided (i.e. the ARU offer is not good enough). If you want to use the media as a bargaining tool, tell the public what you are asking for that the ARU is rejecting. Don’t want to? No, because we can’t make the ARU to be the baddies if the offer we are requesting will put the public offside.

This is not finished by a long shot and the ARU know it. That’s why they offered him the base offer knowing there would be further negotiations.

Does Quade really want to leave footy to box? He lives to pass a ball. He would miss it. He would miss the team camaraderie. He would miss the crowds.

Quade gave his word to Carmichael that he would play for the Reds. Doesn’t sound much, but I genuinely believe Quade will honour that. As we know the ARU have to sign it off the contract. The Reds are furious because it’s out of their control. I don’t think this was their intention but now if I was the ARU, I’d say to QRU if you vote for the Governance reform we’ll let Quade play for Queensland.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quade has never looked like he would enjoy the physical contact of boxing

Just think if he had taken the money offered in August this would not be happening

Reactions: BPC

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have resisted posting here for 101 pages. Until now! Scarfie, a thread like this was bound to suffer casualties! How's the head count going?

This whole affair has had more twists and turns than an Agatha Christie novel. I think you are right there p.Tah, it does seem like standard operating procedures for Nasser contract negotiation. To me though, both Quade and the ARU both come out of the whole process looking wholly unprofessional.

However, I will reserve judgement until I actually hear something official.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
[quote="fatprop, post: 431660, member: 152]

Just think if he had taken the money offered in August this would not be happening[/quote]

He would probably be a couple hundred thousand better off. Wouldn't it be nice if fired Khoder and sued him for the lost income and generally shit advice.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Quade gave his word to Carmichael that he would play for the Reds. Doesn’t sound much, but I genuinely believe Quade will honour that. As we know the ARU have to sign it off the contract. The Reds are furious because it’s out of their control. I don’t think this was their intention but now if I was the ARU, I’d say to QRU if you vote for the Governance reform we’ll let Quade play for Queensland.
Or if they want to be petty the QRU could say to the ARU we wont vote for the governance reform unless you make an offer that Quade is happy with before the vote. Blackmail can work both ways.
I doubt it would come to this as the Governance reform is essential for the future of the game.

Also a good view of this from Jim Tucker in the Courier Mail.

If Cooper is to take up an incentive-based ARU deal, it may be because he has brokered a fight date for a potential windfall.
He would draw a crowd, as many to see him throw punches as cop a few.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-future-in-doubt/story-fnbzn566-1226519949676

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A view from the trenches

Quade Cooper's verbal assault spurred Wallabies on, says skipper Sharpe
Date
November 20, 2012 - 7:29AM

Georgina Robinson

FLORENCE: Quade Cooper's attack on the Wallabies culture drove the Australian Test side to victory over Argentina and a defining draw with New Zealand last month, captain Nathan Sharpe has revealed.

Sharpe said it was a "shame" Cooper believed the culture of the team was "toxic" but that he took seriously the accusation, which was made in the middle of a difficult Rugby Championship campaign for the Wallabies and Cooper.

"You've got to take an objective view on it, often emotion clouds decisions when you look at things like that," Sharpe said.

"We spoke to a few people and had a look at the environment, we made our own assumptions and assessments, then we responded the way that we thought we needed to. I think after that we had a couple of pretty good performances against Argentina and then New Zealand.

"So it's a shame that Quade felt that way, certainly you don't want any player ever feeling like that, but that's the way it rolled out. And that's the thing about the Wallaby jersey, it's going to go on no matter who's wearing it."

....................................................... ............................................ ...............................

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...pper-sharpe-20121120-29mun.html#ixzz2Ci4fk21Z

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He is still getting roughly 400k from the Reds! 20k base contract and then 13k per Test match. Remember, money is not the issue.

Same contract that Sharpe is on at the moment.

My understanding is that Sharpe is on a special match payment figure. Very, very special if my source is correct.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My thoughts on the whole ARU contract thing is that pretty much any Wallaby should drop to a match payments only deal if they miss an entire year of test rugby when their contract is up for renewal.

You'd make an exception for someone like James Horwill who is Wallaby captain, but it should be the case for pretty much anyone else.

I think it is luck of the draw to an extent. If you are injured for the year in which you need to re-sign a contract, your value is going to go down and the people who replace you should be in line for the full contract.

If for example Pat McCabe spent most of next year injured then I would absolutely be in favour of him only receiving a match payments contract for the 2014 year.

I believe James O'Connor signed a two year deal with the ARU for 2012 and 2013 but I also think that if his contract was currently up for renewal there'd be a strong case to offer him match payments contract for the next year. Good players will get selected for the Wallabies and financially rewarded. If you haven't played for a year then I don't think the ARU should put you on a retainer.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So what, I would expect that given he delayed his retirement at their request they are paying him a premium.
How is that relevant to this topic?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can we please take a more rational approach to this?
Anyone know when Quade's last 1 year contract came into effect? I'd be happy to put some stats together on games played + game performace and compare with other wallabies to ascertain how viable this actual offer is?

What we have to realise is that Quade should be rewarded for performance and not potential, especially given his choice of only wanting a one year contract. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.