• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

LevitatingSocks

Ted Fahey (11)
Not to steal the thunder on the rebels thread; how do we think their demise will affect QPR for the remainder of the year? Players wrapped up in cotton wool trying to avoid injuries or an influx pressing for a new contract. Will we see the home ground talent like Nela back for the filth, Lukan back at souths and Dobbins with wests return back to their roots.
"hope that real estate job is going well, you're scrummaging against a very motivated and possibly angry Taniela Tupou this weekend"

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not to steal the thunder on the rebels thread; how do we think their demise will affect QPR for the remainder of the year? Players wrapped up in cotton wool trying to avoid injuries or an influx pressing for a new contract. Will we see the home ground talent like Nela back for the filth, Lukan back at souths and Dobbins with wests return back to their roots.

wasn’t any rebels players in bulldogs team last week.

Will be interested to see in 4 weeks time what happens once the rebels play their final game

Serge

Fred Wood (13)
Any players in Wallaby contention will have limited QPR opportunities with the Wallaby season (matches almost weekly) commencing from 6 July and presumably some non availability before that (and during when there is a fortnight break for example) for training/camps etc.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
wasn’t any rebels players in bulldogs team last week.

Will be interested to see in 4 weeks time what happens once the rebels play their final game

I'd imagine it depends on who's going to keep getting paid,, who's not got an offer and needs every opportunity to show themselves off, and who's got an overseas offer they'll be demanding a release for.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Any players in Wallaby contention will have limited QPR opportunities with the Wallaby season (matches almost weekly) commencing from 6 July and presumably some non availability before that (and during when there is a fortnight break for example) for training/camps etc.

and also the reds will be hosting touring wales and then skipping off to Tonga for a match.

I don’t think super rugby players will see much 3rd tier footy this year tbh

Reactions: Ras

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Wests to beat Souths at home in tribute to Rebels fraternity

James O’Connor should be the difference at Yoku Road. But GPS will be up for another big one at home.

UQ to win the universities battle.

Easts will be too good for Norths.

Might be wet tomorrow but make plans to support club rugby before Phil Waugh takes it away and replaces it with summer sevens.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Might be wet tomorrow but make plans to support club rugby before Phil Waugh takes it away and replaces it with summer sevens.

Phil has been a major disappointment / he was talking all last year about supporting club rugby as the next pathway product.

12-18 months into his tenure and not a thing has been done about his vision etc.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To be fair he’s just made the strongest financial decision for rugby in Australia in recent history. I know people can get all emotional about it and I suspect some here just hold a grudge against the guy, but if you read the details of it all, it’s the right decision.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
To be fair he’s just made the strongest financial decision for rugby in Australia in recent history. I know people can get all emotional about it and I suspect some here just hold a grudge against the guy, but if you read the details of it all, it’s the right decision.

the rebels decision is seperate Reg to building pathways

I will not cut some slack for a “Jobs for the boys” simply because he wore green and gold.

Willo

Frank Nicholson (4)
Here we go with a wet Saturday. This may even things up a bit

East to good for Norths. Unfortunately I can't see North's winning a game this year. Easts by 12
West V South could be closer then with think with the help of the wet weather. Souths have a good back however Wests by 5 points
Uni and Bond is a toss of the coin. I see Uni have 3 Oates brothers in the side. Bond might just get home with the home ground advantage. Bond bye 3
GPS V Brothers the game of the round. GPS are tough to beat at home however just looked at the Brothers side with JOC (James O'Connor) and Lloyd returning with Kapa and Fraser back will be too strong for GPS. Brothers have a superior pack. Brothers by 10

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think there is a difference between a Premier squad underperforming to an entire club not performing. Bond have the talent and the coaching that says they should be doing better, granted. But Norths have been awful in most grades for over a decade and they don't look like getting any better any time soon. The last time they made finals in lower grades, it was my understanding they were subsidising fees for 4th/5th grade "talent" to get them a team on the field.

Last time I looked club rugby was a social sport, 4th Grade below is 100% about the love and enjoyment of the game, no player in these grades are trying set any speed records (excluding the traditional boat race after the game of course) - we should be applauding and encouraging these grades despite the result, to use the word awful (although accurate lol) is disappointing, negative and discouraging. As you stated above the lower grades and juniors are the cash cows helping fund rugby in Australia. If they are losing who cares they are turning up and giving it a crack.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
No question the board have made the right financial call. However, Waugh is long enough into the role to start delivering on the “connection to grassroots” narrative he began his tenure with. On this, as far as the grassroots supporters can ascertain, he has delivered a big fat dunkin’ donut.

I have no grudge for Waugh but he has been provided with ample opportunity to demonstrate he is genuine about local club and community including beyond popping up in a suit and tie at a Shute Shield game.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Further to this view and in the interests of fairness:

- Waugh and the Board need to focus on the professional footprint and making it financially viable. So undoubtedly there’s chicken and egg before they do anything tangible for clubland. However, rightly so, he is the one that highlighted how inextricably linked the two levels of rugby are.

- Nick Stiles in his interview on Stan pointed out what a tough job Waugh and Herbert have. It’s tough at the top but they need to deliver too.

oldrugbytragic

Frank Row (1)
Last time I looked club rugby was a social sport, 4th Grade below is 100% about the love and enjoyment of the game, no player in these grades are trying set any speed records (excluding the traditional boat race after the game of course) - we should be applauding and encouraging these grades despite the result, to use the word awful (although accurate lol) is disappointing, negative and discouraging. As you stated above the lower grades and juniors are the cash cows helping fund rugby in Australia. If they are losing who cares they are turning up and giving it a crack.
It was more a response to the notion that Bond were in some way had more issues with their rugby program. Norths don't go below 4th grade and as of last week don't even play 4th grade. I should have stated their results are the issue not them as players and a club etc. I feel for Norths and I especially feel for the blokes playing 2nd and 3rd grade who are not at that standard but have no option due to the numbers etc. They all seem to get around with smiles on their faces even with the results that land their way. The competition benefit from a strong club there but its a tough climb out. A number of years ago Wests were struggling on the rugby side but have worked their way into being a force in every grade. It hard to blame any one thing. There are still many great Norths people working to build their club up. It may just need some more strategic assistance.

LevitatingSocks

Ted Fahey (11)
It was more a response to the notion that Bond were in some way had more issues with their rugby program. Norths don't go below 4th grade and as of last week don't even play 4th grade. I should have stated their results are the issue not them as players and a club etc. I feel for Norths and I especially feel for the blokes playing 2nd and 3rd grade who are not at that standard but have no option due to the numbers etc. They all seem to get around with smiles on their faces even with the results that land their way. The competition benefit from a strong club there but its a tough climb out. A number of years ago Wests were struggling on the rugby side but have worked their way into being a force in every grade. It hard to blame any one thing. There are still many great Norths people working to build their club up. It may just need some more strategic assistance.
In the realm of strategic assistance, what about funneling some of the players from Victoria that need a competition toward Norths? With the unfortunate demise of the Rebels there should be a few more players to go around between Wests and Norths.

wisemaan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Further to this view and in the interests of fairness:

- Waugh and the Board need to focus on the professional footprint and making it financially viable. So undoubtedly there’s chicken and egg before they do anything tangible for clubland. However, rightly so, he is the one that highlighted how inextricably linked the two levels of rugby are.

- Nick Stiles in his interview on Stan pointed out what a tough job Waugh and Herbert have. It’s tough at the top but they need to deliver too.
Waugh and the Board: Balancing the professional and club levels is crucial, with financial viability a priority. Stiles highlights the tough task ahead for Waugh and Herbert - time to deliver. Agreed

Yours in sporting reason, A Sane Observer

-wisemaan

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I recon it’s a “soft” season of QPR.

Hear me out by that I mean that I think the 4 is pretty much established going into round 9 given that Bond and Easts won’t make it this year - you are a Bradbury top four of Bros, Wests, Uni & GPS and I think it is even fair to say that these 4 probably aren’t as good as previous years.

Regardless there is still a Hospital Cup to be won, and it should be an interesting 2nd half of the season in which I will probably have egg on my face for making this post.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think a lot more variables this year which has evened up the competition at the back half of the season.

Reds tour matches, Rebels folding which will potentially impact Wests.

Honestly I think Brothers are the clear best team so far. But I am putting my neck out and saying they won’t go back to back.

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
All those Norths knckers
Here we go with a wet Saturday. This may even things up a bit

East to good for Norths. Unfortunately I can't see North's winning a game this year. Easts by 12
West V South could be closer then with think with the help of the wet weather. Souths have a good back however Wests by 5 points
Uni and Bond is a toss of the coin. I see Uni have 3 Oates brothers in the side. Bond might just get home with the home ground advantage. Bond bye 3
GPS V Brothers the game of the round. GPS are tough to beat at home however just looked at the Brothers side with JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Lloyd returning with Kapa and Fraser back will be too strong for GPS. Brothers have a superior pack. Brothers by 10
18-7 at Norths those comments (justified) not looking good ATM.

love to see the underdog get up if they can finish it off