• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
To clarify - I meant only in those lower/ subbies grades. Grades 1-4 in the hospital cup to be left unaffected.
The whole Brisbane Rugby set up needs restructuring. Currently you have Wynnum & Caboolture (to a lesser extent) playing in the Sunshine Coast Competition so that there senior set up can get strong, competitive and consistent competition to play in. How long that is sustainable for??
Not sure either team would want to fill in behind a Premier Club in 4th Grade and below as playing at 930am and 1050am on a Saturday prevents any sort of club game day atmosphere and club match day revenue.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The whole Brisbane Rugby set up needs restructuring. Currently you have Wynnum & Caboolture (to a lesser extent) playing in the Sunshine Coast Competition so that there senior set up can get strong, competitive and consistent competition to play in. How long that is sustainable for??
Not sure either team would want to fill in behind a Premier Club in 4th Grade and below as playing at 930am and 1050am on a Saturday prevents any sort of club game day atmosphere and club match day revenue.
Caboulture makes sense in the Sunshine Coast comp, but Wynnum are the one you'd ideally like to have in Hospital's cup proper, at least geographically. Not sure they've any hope of making the step up at the moment, I think the game would probably need to be in a much healthier place to support them coming through.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
Caboulture makes sense in the Sunshine Coast comp, but Wynnum are the one you'd ideally like to have in Hospital's cup proper, at least geographically. Not sure they've any hope of making the step up at the moment, I think the game would probably need to be in a much healthier place to support them coming through.
Interestingly they have Richie Skelton (wests) and Tyrees Wilson (Easts) playing for their top grade this year. Both played prems last year.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the QRU if expanding QPR would focus on growth corridors… in terms of promoting a suburban rugby club Wynnum makes sense because they’ve had success in their comps and there’s been some handy talent come thru their colts

but Wynnum isn’t a growth corridor. Granted their nearest club is easts and it’s still a far enough away that the 2 clubs wouldn’t be stepping on each others toes.

any other comp expansion and suburban clubs that may hit the “growth corridor” key benchmark?

I think it will be a regional rugby club outside of Brisbane city limits like sunny coast/logan being reborn

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't think we will be seeing QPR expanding again any time before the 2027 RWC.

Clubs are feeling the pinch a bit this year financially. I've spoke to a couple of GMs and the tins and raffle ticket sales haven't quite been up to the usual numbers so far. There is a cost of living crisis happening and it's changing the way we spend money.

LevitatingSocks

Ted Fahey (11)
I think the QRU if expanding QPR would focus on growth corridors… in terms of promoting a suburban rugby club Wynnum makes sense because they’ve had success in their comps and there’s been some handy talent come thru their colts

but Wynnum isn’t a growth corridor. Granted their nearest club is easts and it’s still a far enough away that the 2 clubs wouldn’t be stepping on each others toes.

any other comp expansion and suburban clubs that may hit the “growth corridor” key benchmark?

I think it will be a regional rugby club outside of Brisbane city limits like sunny coast/logan being reborn
In terms of population centres that have preexisting clubs; Sunny Coast and Logan seem to be the best. You could also throw in Ipswich, Caboolture, and something toward the Wynnum/Redlands area further down the line.

There's a separate discussion to be had about whether amalgamating them into QPR is a good idea or if it's healthier and more sustainable to make sure the suburban competitions thrive. Lots of travel to play 2g or 3g might put off potential players. Might be best to shore up Bond and Norths before throwing more clubs into the fray.

oldrugbytragic

Frank Row (1)
Why are the lower grades and Norths getting bashed when we have Bond 1st grade under preforming, why don't we delve into the shemozzle - 2023 Minor Premiers, Super coach Heeno with QPR Premiership winning assistant coach Van Humphries, 2023 Alec Evans award winner Stowers, Ex Red Upfield, current Red Blake, Reds Academy/Pre Season Sheriff. Harrison Usher Au U20s. They look handy on paper, with the 1st round wrapping up Bond would be my under preforming 1st Grade thus far.
I think there is a difference between a Premier squad underperforming to an entire club not performing. Bond have the talent and the coaching that says they should be doing better, granted. But Norths have been awful in most grades for over a decade and they don't look like getting any better any time soon. The last time they made finals in lower grades, it was my understanding they were subsidising fees for 4th/5th grade "talent" to get them a team on the field.
Whilst the 1st grade has struggled in the last couple of weeks, with two games remaining in the first half of the season, Souths are in the top 4 in 1st grade, top 4 in 2nd grade, just out in 3rd grade(with a game in hand on the team in 3rd place), top spot in 5th grade, second place in 6th grade(with a game in hand), top in Colts 1, top in Colts 2, in the four in Colts 3, in 3rd spot in Colts 4(with a game in hand). I wouldn't be writing off the Club in 2024, just yet.
On this. I am removed from the club to some degree but how do Souths have a struggling 4th Grade but such a strong 5th grade? Are there some guns down there that refuse to play higher? They seem to have been strong for a number of years when at times the rest of the club was struggling. I agree with the notion that the club doesn't seem to be "struggling" though. I think a lot of clubs would view their current situation as a reasonable success.

LevitatingSocks

Ted Fahey (11)
I think there is a difference between a Premier squad underperforming to an entire club not performing. Bond have the talent and the coaching that says they should be doing better, granted. But Norths have been awful in most grades for over a decade and they don't look like getting any better any time soon. The last time they made finals in lower grades, it was my understanding they were subsidising fees for 4th/5th grade "talent" to get them a team on the field.

On this. I am removed from the club to some degree but how do Souths have a struggling 4th Grade but such a strong 5th grade? Are there some guns down there that refuse to play higher? They seem to have been strong for a number of years when at times the rest of the club was struggling. I agree with the notion that the club doesn't seem to be "struggling" though. I think a lot of clubs would view their current situation as a reasonable success.
Souths don't struggle for forward and in particular front row depth since they have a surplus of larger gentlemen of a certain demographic at the club. That can win you games in 5G and 6G by itself. Forward talent tends to even out across the competition when you get to 4G.

oldrugbytragic

Frank Row (1)
Souths don't struggle for forward and in particular front row depth since they have a surplus of larger gentlemen of a certain demographic at the club. That can win you games in 5G and 6G by itself. Forward talent tends to even out across the competition when you get to 4G.
So they are good in 5th Grade because they have big blokes? Surely that can't be the only reason? Do they score all their points from scums or something? Are you referring to an Islander demographic?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wonder if Vunivalu is line for a stint in club rugby this weekend. Wasn’t named in reds Matchday 23?

Could use the 3rd tier club rugby confidence boost but I must say last time saw him in clubland he was outclassed by the other bulldog on the other wing Ben Navosalagi

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
On this. I am removed from the club to some degree but how do Souths have a struggling 4th Grade but such a strong 5th grade?
To the best of my understanding a lot of former first graders have decided to come back for a post retirement run in 5ths and just want to play in the same group together.

Souths have had similar issues about players from reggies not wanting to move up over the last few seasons to play in a winning team.

LevitatingSocks

Ted Fahey (11)
So they are good in 5th Grade because they have big blokes? Surely that can't be the only reason? Do they score all their points from scums or something? Are you referring to an Islander demographic?
It makes a big difference in 5G because most other clubs struggle to have experienced depth at those positions and the average 5G player is smaller or less skilled than higher grades. Ends up being pretty simple, forward dominant rugby where size has a disproportionate impact. Yeah not all islanders are big, but most players I see over 120 kg are islanders.

JRugby2

Herbert Moran (7)
I suppose I'd be looking at them as completely separate comps - so if 1st Grade Premier is playing at 3pm, then so is 1st Grade Subbies (5th grade) in their comps.

TimeHomeAway
3pm1st Grade (Hospital Cup)1st Grade Suburban/ 5th Grade (Barber Cup)
1:30pm2nd Grade2nd Grade Suburban/ 6th Grade
12pm3rd Grade3rd Grade Suburban/ 7th Grade
10:304th Grade

Field allocation could be a nightmare for sure but in theory you could have the clubs alternating home and away weeks between premier and subbies. Would mean clubs get extra home days for the bar take too. I think subbies might now even be playing friday nights mostly?

oldrugbytragic

Frank Row (1)
To the best of my understanding a lot of former first graders have decided to come back for a post retirement run in 5ths and just want to play in the same group together.

Souths have had similar issues about players from reggies not wanting to move up over the last few seasons to play in a winning team.
Looking over their team lists, I can only see 1 bloke that I recognise as having played 1st grade.

rapt

Stan Wickham (3)
Looking over their team lists, I can only see 1 bloke that I recognise as having played 1st grade.
Souths have generally always been very strong in the grades whilst struggling more so at prem level. I’m just glad those years ago they went to 1-15 numbered jerseys for each grade

Anyone know if they still have Trev Leota running around in the lower grades?

LevitatingSocks

Ted Fahey (11)
Souths have generally always been very strong in the grades whilst struggling more so at prem level. I’m just glad those years ago they went to 1-15 numbered jerseys for each grade

Anyone know if they still have Trev Leota running around in the lower grades?
He was there last year putting big shots on, haven't seen him this year

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
Not to steal the thunder on the rebels thread; how do we think their demise will affect QPR for the remainder of the year? Players wrapped up in cotton wool trying to avoid injuries or an influx pressing for a new contract. Will we see the home ground talent like Nela back for the filth, Lukan back at souths and Dobbins with wests return back to their roots.