• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tigers Tale

Any possible team lists for the coming weekends? Filth, southern x, TT?

Easts starting XV for Sydney Uni will be hard to put on paper at this stage with possible Reds A & Qld U20 commitments. But the tigers do appear to have some new recruits in back row and mid field.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
There's actually a full club Old Boys day planned on (I think the Brothers game, but I'll check & get back to you). Walking sticks - and wheelchairs if your shoulders are also stuffed- will be provided for you two.

AGMs are publicized via the website- they don't put the attachments there. I have the full copies of the last 4 years (2009-13) because I'm a nerd. All comers are welcome at the AGM: if you want the dirt you have to go to some sort of effort and turn up... ;)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

butcher

Frank Row (1)
If clubs have enough money lying around to pay players... that's their decision.
If they have enough quality contacts to provide work, accommodation, cars or even, dare I say it, scholarships, even better. They are providing young men (and possibly women, not too sure about that though) the opportunity to pursue their rugby in the equivalent of a semi-professional environment. An environment that is hard to come by in Australia (ask the boys in the Reds WTS about how much they are compensated for the time they have to take off work to train at Ballymore) and one that can be easily found as low as 5th division rugby in Europe.
Having paid to play rugby for the last 10 years, I can guarantee that the most satisfying victories are those against teams that are either full of contracted players (doesn't happen too often) or those that have rumours of player payments circling around Brisbane.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Didn't realise it was 10 years since the greatest team Qld club rugby, nay the world has ever produced. I'm sure plenty of those lads will be keen. I assume there will be some sort of national public holiday followed by beers on the deck during a home game.

Talk like a Pirate Day if I recall correctly.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
On to an actually interesting topic, how are the clubs looking under the aggregate model of Premier grade funding? Likely to qualify for the full amount from the QRU?

From the suppliers list my initial thought was that Brothers could be particularly hard hit under this model. Any others? Any fundraising events planned to make up for an anticipated shortfall?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
whats the aggregated model Cat? Sounds like a further development of some of the stuff I was working on but obviously somewhat advanced.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
whats the aggregated model Cat? Sounds like a further development of some of the stuff I was working on but obviously somewhat advanced.

I'll email you what I have this evening Reg so you can see where it ended up in the 2014 incarnation- I don't have it in front of me right now.

Essentially my understanding - I might be slightly off-base but I don't think too far - is that clubs get their Premier funding, that they used to get up front, reimbursed once they have spent that $$ with the given suppliers (BLK, Coca Cola etc). So if clubs were already spending say, $18K with BLK (formerly KooGa), 7K with Coca Cola and 5K with Lion (beer) then they'd get the $30K and it would be business as usual - although the cash flow might be tricky to manage.

If they weren't spending that amount with those suppliers then they can either change, make up their amounts in other areas, or they might miss out on the full funding available.

Where I saw Brothers particularly affected was that they use Canterbury for jerseys which, for a club the size of Brothers, is a really big expense.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Anyone else find it strange that the QRU will pay Bartercard $$ to clubs but don't accept them?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone else find it strange that the QRU will pay Bartercard $$ to clubs but don't accept them?
The Bartercard $$ come in very handy when taking volunteer trainers out for a thank you lunch at the Caxton; please Caxton, never stop accepting them!

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I thought Purce and I were discussing the most interesting topic so far on this thread.

Might have to start its own thread Jets.... we will probably have to hire some full time administrators it'll be soo popular.

If I remember the rude kit properly the national holiday will be "talk like a Pirate/dress like dyslectic japanese schoolgirl day" .... shall be a worldwide day of celebration.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
So its now official that 1st grade is now Premier reserve grade, and 2nd grade is now 1st grade, and so on and so forth.......If it wasn't confusing enough as it was.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
In all seriousness, does anyone know why 1st grade is now called Premier Reserve? Surely there is some logical reason, maybe? It seems more confusing to me having two teams with the name Premier in them. Guess it'll benefit those fellas trawling the Caxton dancefloor after a Reds game "Yeh I play Premier reserve Grade".

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
In all seriousness, does anyone know why 1st grade is now called Premier Reserve? Surely there is some logical reason, maybe? It seems more confusing to me having two teams with the name Premier in them. Guess it'll benefit those fellas trawling the Caxton dancefloor after a Reds game "Yeh I play Premier reserve Grade".

Was JUST thinking the exact same thing! And all those poor battlers at Fridays when the ugly lights come on can finally call themselves first grade footballers!

What is now called Premier Reserve used to compete as First Grade in the Brisbane Rugby Union competition (I think many clubs just called it reserve grade anyway). It looks like they've simply scooped that team up in to the Premier rugby comp and what we used to call 2nd grade now compete as First Grade in the Brisbane Rugby Union comp

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ahh right, well actually when you think about it that way, does kind of make sense. Because aren't Premier Colts players, as of last year (may be longer) allowed to play up in either Prem Grade or Reserve Grade? If thats the case having a similar name to keep the three grouped makes sense.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Ahh right, well actually when you think about it that way, does kind of make sense. Because aren't Premier Colts players, as of last year (may be longer) allowed to play up in either Prem Grade or Reserve Grade? If thats the case having a similar name to keep the three grouped makes sense.

I definitely know that Prem Colts been able to play in Prem Grade for as many games as needed and still be able to return to Prem Colts, even just for finals.

BUT
I don't know if the same rule applied to reserve grade though, because it was run under different comp rules. I haven't been able to find a rule about how many games colts players can play in grades, but in the old days it was 3 in a season and then you couldn't go back. Arguably this is moot point though - I can't imagine any Prem Colts players would've been in this situation.

T

Tigers Tale

I don't know if the same rule applied to reserve grade though, because it was run under different comp rules. I haven't been able to find a rule about how many games colts players can play in grades, but in the old days it was 3 in a season and then you couldn't go back. Arguably this is moot point though - I can't imagine any Prem Colts players would've been in this situation.

I think you will find that if Colts play Grades it has to be Premier Grade otherwise they have to go back to Prem Colts - i.e. they can't play in reserve grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.