• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
What is it about Wests that would make you assume that their fees would be lower than GPS (and/or on par with Uni's)?

Or to turn that question around if it's easier to answer, why are GPS fees higher than what you assumed Wests would be charging?

EDIT: my post was written before RugbyGreg's post. But I'm interested in how you perceive rego fees are set

Well to be honest I don't have much knowledge of other clubs setups so this is all just what I perceive from an outsiders view.

Look at the current Wests setup for example, two fields, club house facilities and basic changing sheds (also not having a dig here at the Doggies just stating what they have).

Compare it to GPS who have three fields, a larger clubhouse area, brand new sheds being built and upgrades to the stand etc. It would make sense to me that the club with more facilities to maintain would have higher player costs. The extra lighting on the third field alone would be expensive. Also, in accordance with the upgrades being built the fees have risen from $400 in 2012 to $450 in 13/14 (not including early bird discounts).

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
@Cat_A you would be naive to think that rego fees or QLD Samoa friends were the reason those boys left.

For one they never paid fees at wests. The real reason is that Uni approached them them and told them that making the NRC would be easier at university. As Uni will either have there own stand alone team if its bids or it would make it if it was based on top four.

This fitted their aspirations. But they're other reasons at play as well and I don't want to post over the net. But it seems to me Cat they they are giving every man and his dog a thousand different reasons.

At the end of the day it's situation that can't be justified and people shouldn't try to do it. As people leave clubs for one reason or another and it's best to let sleeping bulldogs lie

Scott A

Frank Row (1)
The real reason is that Scott Allen approached them and told them that making the NRC would be easier at university. As Uni will either have there own stand alone team if its bids or it would make it if it was based on top four.

I enjoy popping into this topic from time to time so imagine my surprise when I did today and find you in here TD peddling lies about me whilst hiding behind your pseudonym.

Your allegations are absolute bullshit.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Scott, sorry to offend the reason given to
Wests was that the NRV was a carrot was dangled in front of the players.

I will admit that I assumed you as to be the
Key point of contact as you would have been their mentor at wests and you had now taken a position at Uni.

I will retract the statement

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
There is also no way that Uni's potential involvement in the NRC could've been dangled as a carrot to anyone because Uni has not entered an NRC bid nor was there EVER any intention of submitting a bid.

(Wests would've known this position when our Club President spoke informally to his equivalent at GPS, Wests and Brothers back in December/January to see if there was any interest in a "GWUB" team. These discussions never went any further than 'f**k no, we aren't interested either')

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
@Cat_A this was said down at the Kennel and again I will say that justifying something like this is hard as people get offended. I didn't think what I was saying was attack on someone's character but more the nature of sport. So again apologies to those concerned.

Scott A

Frank Row (1)
Scott, sorry to offend the reason given to
Wests was that the NRV was a carrot was dangled in front of the players.

I will admit that I assumed you as to be the
Key point of contact as you would have been their mentor at wests and you had now taken a position at Uni.

I will retract the statement

Let me be very clear about this - all of your allegations are bullshit, not just those about me. I know this first hand, not from hearsay like you.

When I was coaching at Wests I used to watch you make comments in these forums about what was going on at Wests as though you actually knew, when the majority of time you were just repeating gossip that was well wide of the mark.

Seems nothing has changed.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
What? And actually ASK the players why they left Wests for other clubs? I dunno. It's easier, and surely more accurate, to put your assumptions on an Internet forum like they're fact. After all, the law of the internet says that if you say anything enough times it becomes fact.

I have actually asked the Wests players who have made the switch to Uni and their response was that they wanted to win a premiership and they felt they had a better shot at Uni than Wests during their playing career (plus the coaching, plus the 'pack mentality', plus the cost of rego fees is lower, plus their mates from the Qld Samoa team play there already.

Their decisions will always be their decisions.
I respect that this is amateur football & you gotta do what's best for yourself, I won't cry over spilt milk on the basis that WESTS has picked up some fantastic Heavies over the years with some even going onto be decorated Wallabies. So it all balances out in the end.

But hypothetically speaking, when you ask these questions to these new recruits do you ever expect to hear.

"I left Club X cause I got $$$$"

????
That would be a NO, It's a bad look on the player & it's detrimental to the club culture if this kind of news is publicly known. A player might tell their former club mates why they left but they certainly won't tell their logic to their new teammates.

Now I am not implying that this is the case in this instance but at least one has the right to assume it to be a possibility on account of that UQ has a "Rich" history of this type of recruiting.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
@SouthernX I see what you're saying, however given that I find out if someone sustained a haematoma to the testicle (complete with nauseating pictures and a detailed description of how it happened and what happened in the next 24hrs and how it has since affected their 'performance') I'm surprisingly confident that I'd find out the $$ too, especially considering I stay friends (enough to be told the above) with almost all of them once they leave the club too.

I don't comment on what I can't possibly have firsthand knowledge of: I don't pass on the gossip I hear about how many of West's key players paid only $200 in rego fees (or nothing at all) when the rest of the club pays whatever, I don't comment on the scholarships Bond are offering Colts, and I don't really know or care about the ins and outs of 'living expenses' Brothers or GPS or whoever are paying their player mentioned over on the Colts thread that no one's kicked up a stink about. Because the business of other clubs is not my business.

You don't have to take the word of the players re $$, or even mine, though. The club has had public (and publicised - see website, but look for the archived copy) AGMs for at least the last 15 years (no doubt longer, but that's as long as I've known about them). At these AGMs there is a tabling of the auditor's report of the financials of the club (usually 3rd item on the agenda) - these aren't kept secret, and they don't contain any line items or any references at all to 'player payments' or similar. The invitation is there if anyone ever wanted to step away from witty innuendo and actually find shit out.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
There not enough Easts talk in this conversation..it feels weird for this thread :0

TT c'mon get everyone back on track.
Easts' was in December - I didn't go. Does that help? :p

How are the preparations for the National Club champ game going? Will the apparent absence of the Cox boys impact you heavily?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
@CAT_A Whilst I appreciate you know more about the inner workings about your club then I do. On this subject I have to respectfully disagree.

There's been just too much chatter over the years for this not to be true. If anyone is a ostrich with their head in a sand it's the UQ supporters who don't want to acknowledge the elephant in the room.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
@CAT_A Whilst I appreciate you know more about the inner workings about your club then I do. On this subject I have to respectfully disagree.

There's been just too much chatter over the years for this not to be true. If anyone is a ostrich with their head in a sand it's the UQ supporters who don't want to acknowledge the elephant in the room.

So other peoples gossip is your fact? Sounds reliable.
I worked at the club for 6 years. I am willing to say I know far more about it then you or almost anyone. I know I may never be able to convince you uni's successes was caused by hard work not paychecks and that's your provocative. But myself and the fellow uni supports just get annoyed with the constant drivel of unspupported here say "fact" that gets thrown around here on the reg.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)

You disagree on what basis mate? Chatter? You may want some better evidence to back up your statements than that.

UQ supporters acknowledge the "elephant in the room"... but as it turns out there is no substance to the constant claims. And if you think the UQ supporters on here are your average supporters you are wrong. They are people with intimate knowledge on how the club runs, and I guarantee you none of them would be happy if players were being paid in this environment.

It's just the usual crap I've come to expect from a number of posters on this site. Scott Allen is completely correct - "all of your allegations are bullshit, not just those about me. I know this first hand, not from hearsay like you." UQRFC financials are completely transparent, any info you want can be found on their website. Dig it up and see how you go. I'd be more worried about clubs who don't release any of their financials than ones which do.

And on players moving clubs, if you were a young talented player wanting a career in rugby which club do you think could give you the best leg up? The one which has won the last 4 CC, won 2 of the last 4 Premier titles has developed countless super & international players over the past decade? Or one without any recent success? It's really not a tough decision to make... pretty bloody obvious if you ask me.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's just the usual crap I've come to expect from a number of posters on this site. Scott Allen is completely correct - "all of your allegations are bullshit, not just those about me. I know this first hand, not from hearsay like you." UQRFC financials are completely transparent, any info you want can be found on their website. Dig it up and see how you go. I'd be more worried about clubs who don't release any of their financials than ones which do.

Purce can you post the link. Just had a look on the site and couldn't find them, most likely in front of me but my eye site isn't what it was.

On another point are there big plans for a 10 year reunion for the greatest team the Heavies have ever produced, the 2004 3rd grade Premiership winning team?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Purce can you post the link. Just had a look on the site and couldn't find them, most likely in front of me but my eye site isn't what it was.

On another point are there big plans for a 10 year reunion for the greatest team the Heavies have ever produced, the 2004 3rd grade Premiership winning team?

I just had a quick squiz on the website (which has changed) and I can't find the AGM link, it'll be there somewhere... just not sure where it has been moved to. Refer Cat's comment "The club has had public (and publicised - see website, but look for the archived copy) AGMs for at least the last 15 years (no doubt longer, but that's as long as I've known about them). At these AGMs there is a tabling of the auditor's report of the financials of the club (usually 3rd item on the agenda)"

Didn't realise it was 10 years since the greatest team Qld club rugby, nay the world has ever produced. I'm sure plenty of those lads will be keen. I assume there will be some sort of national public holiday followed by beers on the deck during a home game.

Status
Not open for further replies.