• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)

It's a minor point, but it doesn't say Mogg beat him; it said Mogg had recorded the fastest top line speed. This may or may not have been under testing or competitive conditions.

Depending on franchise testing speed could mean with a series of gates, or a single gate (I'm assuming series). Or it might be a GPS measurement like the Reds often use during training where they can see in game-simulating drills who is at 100% etc and how fast they fly when they're trying to beat their opponent to the ball.

My point is that it may be fastest time over 5,10 & 40m (gate series) or it might be that he reached a faster top sped and held it for only 10m (therefore still the fastest speed but held only a short distance). One would "win" over 40m while the other may possibly be the absolutely fastest player

The article isn't clear on that (and its really only a differentiation sports science nerds like me would actually care about...;) )

Regardless I'm sure we're splitting hairs and I'd very much doubt any of us on the forums would come anywhere close to either one of them.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I get what your saying........some of it anyway my exercise science degree is in the mail.

But this conversational point makes me wonder who would be the fastest player in premier rugby? and have they ever tested it before in something like a reds halftime show.?

I know they do this with the Q-Cup players at the broncos sometimes. with each club entering their fastest player.

If it where to happen my money would be on that vuki kid from norths.......the lad can run

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rod Davies from UQ.

granted he is a contracted RED but I feel like he will be playing more club rugby then super rugby this season as there's top much of a log jam in the reds outside backs & I feel like he is the weakest link.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I must confess: I find it really hard to tell the difference between genuinely fast players, and those who find a try line better than most. IMO a player can be the fastest guy around but if they can't coordinate kick-chases or if they can't catch it doesn't really matter. Conversely there are those players who time their runs and accelerations perfectly, or seem to know better than others which way the ball will bounce etc. I'm thinking of Luke Morahan - not the fastest, but he times his efforts and direction extremely well.

I like to judge the fastest player in the all-important Nude Gift- truly a test of the fastest player at any club. No warm ups, no stretching, no performance-enhancing compression garments, no shoes, and no real prize other than maybe a jug of beer. Now THAT is pure competition...

Of course, for the purposes of this thread such measures would have limited usefulness; Premier players are arguably the least likely at the club to compete.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Anyone know of any players changing clubs? Or any players from interstate coming up here to play, ergo, what club will they play at?

Filth

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Uni for obvious reasons usually get one or two interstate chaps for obvious reasons but I haven't really heard to much. I saw in another thread that Cayden matehare who was at Gold Coast is now playing at randwick and Sam grassy is back but that is it

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Ryan Tongia who played for Cronulla and East Tigers (Q Cup) has been playing 7's for Sunnybank.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ryan Tongia who played for Cronulla and East Tigers (Q Cup) has been playing 7's for Sunnybank.

I'm guessing an outside back if he is playing 7's?

Can't think of any Successful forward Leagiues who have made the switch to 15 man game?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
A hooker from Brothers, Freeney is at GPS, cousin of Charlie. A few backs have also come over from Norths and Sam Grasso is down at the club too.

There are also two new French players at the club, one of whom I believe is a front rower and meant to be pretty decent.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Can't think of any Successful forward Leagiues who have made the switch to 15 man game?
He's a centre. Will have to fight with Rex Tapuai and Henry Taefu for a spot in Premier, although Henry might make the 20's so could be away for a while.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Wasn't Sam Grasso with us? He is a good player, good pick up there from Jeeps. If the Filth find their mojo, I reckon we might upset a few of the bigger sides. Me thinks the Red Heavies are favourites, with a plethora of talent, anyone agree?
Any news from Easts and Souths? Also Southern X any news down at the Kennel?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Grasso was at the Filth but went to Sydney last year. Apparently he didn't appreciate being told he wasn't guaranteed a start a Crosby so has gone to GPS.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

SBW & CTM?

Wasn't Sam Grasso with us? He is a good player, good pick up there from Jeeps. If the Filth find their mojo, I reckon we might upset a few of the bigger sides. Me thinks the Red Heavies are favourites, with a plethora of talent, anyone agree?
Any news from Easts and Souths? Also Southern X any news down at the Kennel?

Filth are one of the bigger sides?:p

Souths i would imagine will be quite solid and slowly building towards some good things like the dogs. They had a strong colts team last year wwith a number of player smaking the qld u19 at the end of the year and if i am not mistaken most of these players will now be playing grades. This coupled with captain Sam denny training with the reds and potentially having a a fit and firing CFS on the team sheet spells good things for souths.

Easts as usuall should be strong. They have everything a good rugby team needs a massive tight five, hardworking backrow, seasoned half pairing and firepower outwide on paper they have one of the best XV in the comp but they usually struggle with depth mid season and seem to have a horrendous injury curse but if they can keep it together usually a safe bet for top 4.

Norths will struggle to maintain the ground they have made in recent years from what i have heard. They have lost thei talismanic captain Carlos Gavidi to overseas and powerful prop Keresomi Lolotonga has apparently decided to take a break from the game. The loss their most influential forwards coupled with a genuine lack of backline leadership will hinder Norths from making any further advancements up the table. However as usual iexpect them to be packing some serious jets outwide which will make them dangerous to any team who take them to lightly.

I for one am very excited about the upcoming season, i feel the competition has seen for the larger part a real improvement in squad depth across the board, and i feel liek we are getting closer to a level of competition that can hopefully rival the shute shield. For a competition that for the larger part does not supply players with match payments i feel the QLD Premier grade is really making some wonderful strides in improving the level of rugby accross south east qld.

essay over

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Grasso was at the Filth but went to Sydney last year. Apparently he didn't appreciate being told he wasn't guaranteed a start a Crosby so has gone to GPS.

Strange of him to pick GPS if he's looking for a guaranteed start in Prems with Scott Maloloua, Curtis Franks already established there and depending what happens when Genia returns to the Reds lineup Nick Frisby might even be down.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thierry, I reckon the QLD Comp is better than Shute Shield. Only like two teams dominate that comp, it’s too lopsided. Good post by the way mate, a good read! Has the Australian Club Championship happened yet? Heavies vs Varsity would be a top game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Strange of him to pick GPS if he's looking for a guaranteed start in Prems with Scott Maloloua, Curtis Franks already established there and depending what happens when Genia returns to the Reds lineup Nick Frisby might even be down.
Yeah I thought the same thing when I was told this. I thought it more likely that he had some mates there who he wanted to play with. Also Genia isn't an issue as he is aligned with Sunny Coast these days.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
I am hoping the 2 Coast teams lift their games. Lets face it last year they were both an embarrassment. I'm talking results and playing styles.
The geography already makes attracting players each week a challenge.
Maybe the Bond link will help in some tangible way which I am struggling to see.
Certainly the Breakers Colts have been strong in recent years, although this has not manifested itself in Premier. Sunny Coast not so much ....

Status
Not open for further replies.