• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Looked Solid, I think Gillespie got a meat pie. Don't know about Tasi, I think he is still contracted in France.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Brisbane Club Rugby looking strong. Something we have not seen in awhile but there looks to be a 5th grade (6th grade if you refer to premier grade as div 1)

There's only 5 teams in the league so far with Brothers, Norths &
Easts being notable omissions.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
How did gillespie go for wests?

And is that bloke Tasi back yet?

Gillespie is all class and a real joy to watch play, i would suggest he isnt far off another contract either.

Tasi won't be back, i would suggest he is a key figure for his current club brive and i am also led to believe is captain or a major figure in the leaderhsip group.

If he does come back it would only be for a Super 15 deal

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
The colts game was hard to judge they had mixed up teams, Of the Wests players that stood out in Prem colts was the HB the inside centre, and the number eight, the flyhalf was OK. Wests did not have a backline of note outside of the inside centre, and that caused them some problems, (you cant fault the boys for their effort but they were just out gunned out wide) the forwards did well and matched up against Norths forwards but Wests backline had no cohesion, they didn't understand how to realign in defence or attack. I'll bet the coach is really working on this before the first game. Norths had some real speed out wide and if it wasn't for some sterling defence by Wests they would have run away with it. It was a close game and very valuable for showing up weaknesses that the coaches can work on for both sides. This is what trial games are about. I doubt that Wests will feature in the finals with this backline they need some firepower out wide, but you never know, you play with the cattle you have, and maybe they can align their play around their strengths and play 10 man rugby more often.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry for the delay been swamped with work, I was out at Albany Creek for pretty much the whole day on the weekend, didn't see much colts but saw all the grades. GPS won every game in grades and I believe colts 1 and 2 with Sunnybank taking out Premier Colts by 1point in a nail biter.

For the main game, GPS really put on some points and look better throughout the whole game (sorry I dont have a final score but GPS would have crossed at least 5 times and Sunnybank once I think). I wouldn't say Sunnybank looked bad but it was one of the worst displays of discipline I have seen from a Premier Grade team in some time, far too many penaltys and they were always on the back foot. They ended up having one of their props yellow carded with about 10mins to go for what was a very ugly high shot and lots of the supporters that I spoke to from both sides believed he should have been sent off earlier for several shoulder charges.

Damian Stower was my man of the match, lots of damaging runs, quick to get in the face of attackers and finished a nice try to end the game. Semiti Tela looked dangerous in counter attack as well. For Sunnybank their forwards did play aggresively but they didn't really do much with the ball in the backs, also lots of GPS trys were scored out wide so i'm not sure if it was an inexperienced backline The Bank fielded but GPS found it pretty easy to get around them. I would assume the team that ran out for GPS will most likely be the core of who will start the 1st round in Premier Grade. Sorry I don't have too much to comment on the Sunnybank side of things.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The colts game was hard to judge they had mixed up teams, Of the Wests players that stood out in Prem colts was the HB the inside centre, and the number eight, the flyhalf was OK. Wests did not have a backline of note outside of the inside centre, and that caused them some problems, (you cant fault the boys for their effort but they were just out gunned out wide) the forwards did well and matched up against Norths forwards but Wests backline had no cohesion, they didn't understand how to realign in defence or attack. I'll bet the coach is really working on this before the first game. Norths had some real speed out wide and if it wasn't for some sterling defence by Wests they would have run away with it. It was a close game and very valuable for showing up weaknesses that the coaches can work on for both sides. This is what trial games are about. I doubt that Wests will feature in the finals with this backline they need some firepower out wide, but you never know, you play with the cattle you have, and maybe they can align their play around their strengths and play 10 man rugby more often.

I could agree with you cohesion comments, as from wha ti have heard wests colts are starting from scratch with no returning players, i was also under the impression that the wests colts were missing a few stars as well?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
A little surprised at the UQ performance last Sunday, was expecting a lot more out of them. How are they looking against Sunnybank this week ?

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Has anyone got any inside knowledge on team lists?

Any fearless predictions maybe?

I am extremely concerned about Tigers this year. An unbelievably good team on paper played Souths in the final trial and the scoreline suggested they couldn't penetrate. Perhaps still too many U21 players.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I believe Sunnybank may have a heritage jersey, for their match against Souths, as it's 20 years since their first Premier Grand Final appearance.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Hey guys, thought I'd let you in on some news before the rumours get out there.

You may have heard that Phil Mooney is leaving Wests to take up a coaching role with Panasonic Wild Knights - he leaves for Japan in about three weeks so congratulations to him.

Having received that news I also decided to move on and have just told the players tonight. It's dreadful timing but sometimes circumstances change and you just move on.

There'll be a new coaching team in place at Wests and I'll just be watching a few games from the sideline but still supporting Wests.

Given I'll have some extra time on my hands I'll try to do some match reports from various grounds during the season. I'll be out at Uni this week to see the grand final re-match with Sunnybank.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That's great news for Phil but not so good for the Bulldogs. You and Phil have done some really good things at the Kennel Scott Allen. Hopefully they can continue on with it this year.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Scott will be equally missed at the kennel with Phils departure, some great talent found & developed in the Dogs Fwd pack. Pete Uubergang came from university after playing in the backline in their 2nd grade team, he is now the undisputed toughest 2nd rower in Club Rugby (he has got that country mongrel in him) & how about Waita Setu, comes over from Sunnybank Round 2 & is now a quality premier grade backrower. Scott you should be happy with your achievements, it's a shame you have decided to move on.

However looking forward to a honest & frank assessment on your match reports & forum post, I guess you've had to give statesmen like comments about the team in past given your role on coaching staff.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
2nd favourite day in the Club Rugby week!!!

QRU team lists & match preview, Will be interesting to see some of the squads. JET probably waiting in anticipation for his quasi-2nd job of amateur bookie and calculating his spreads for the tipping comp.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Scott and Sx I imagine nothing would be better then sending Phil off with a win over the Filth? ;)

I think every club has the Brothers match circled as a game they want to win.

As much as you guys are hated, I think you feed off the hatred with your backs against the wall trying I punch your way out of a street fight.

I heard Brothers have a bit of youth in this years forward pack. Will be just as interesting up front then the expected dazzle dazzle out wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.