• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Darling Downs Rugby has done a lot of work over the years to consolidate the image of 'Darling Downs', Warick is neither here nor there, they went to the Ipswich competition a 5 or 6 years ago but returned in 2012 and joined together with Highfields..

TD i understand what you are saying, logistically having a Darling Downs side made up of players from all over the region is unviable. But I don't think you could have it any other way, If presented with the opportunity to play rugby at a higher level, some players would be willing to move closer into Toowoomba if thats what was required. Also you need to acknowledge the way of living on the Darling Downs, especially in Towns outside of Toowoomba, many of these guys aren't working 5 day a week 8am-5pm work day... Think seasonal work etc

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Logan haven't played higher than 1st grade. My issue is that if they are keen to move up to Premier then they shouldn't be forfeiting for their top team, especially when they were a shot of making the finals.

Also I would prefer to see Ipswich or a Darling Downs team in Premier as they are more likely provide an opportunity for players in an area that is currently not serviced by a Premier Club.

What a lot of Bollocks you are talking Jets, who said Logan defaulted?? Do you actually know what happened over the game?? let me assure you if you have seen the emails from QRU saying firstly that because the first game was called off (by Souths), that if a game couldn't be arranged at a good time by BOTH clubs, that teams shared points. I know that a lot of Logan's firsts work shift work, and so need a bit of time to sort out mis week games, and also know the President of Logan was quite surprised to suddenly see that Souths wished to play on a certain night. In saying that I think some of confusion may have come from not working through correct channels, and noone really knowing what was going on!
May I also add, it's not something that overly worries me Logan making Prems,as I believe the QRU have decided it will NEVR happen, just I don't think most posters realise how often tha goalposts get moved for Logan do actually do it, as is what is happening over the game called off by Souths, seems the club is told one thing ,only to have it changed by the QRU.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah Dan I have to apologise. It turns out the guy from Souths I spoke was confused over what was going on and I shouldn't have jumped on here without the correct info.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yeah Dan I have to apologise. It turns out the guy from Souths I spoke was confused over what was going on and I shouldn't have jumped on here without the correct info.

You definitely still should have Jets. The best part of forums is the mis-information backed arguments and one-eyed opinions.

But hey, that's just one man's opinion.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
You definitely still should have Jets. The best part of forums is the mis-information backed arguments and one-eyed opinions.

But hey, that's just one man's opinion.
Yep I agree with ECA jets, no need for apology, like I said I think there was quite a bit of confusion amongst clubs over whole thing. hell if I have to apologise everytime I post a slight bit of misinformation,I would never get to post!!!!

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Logan wont be invited in untill they can fill the quota for a 12th club & i dont think we need rush into that. Ipswich might be the only team that could possibly pull that but they would need all their stars to align and be able convince springfield and goodna to merge with them. But this would effectively kill the subbies comp and hurt a few brisbane teams relying on ipswich 'ex-pats'. So again we brign up the concept of toowomba/darling downs

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So what's everyones views for this weekends matches?

Easts vs GPS, the loser of this one could potentially be the end of their season. Having Greg Riley back for Easts makes the backrow more balanced, whilst Jay Halevu matching up against Buttler should be brutal. Looks like Toby White won't be seen again this season, which leaves a massive hole in the backline and makes the backline look rather small. Can't pick it to be honest, fairly even across the board.

Wests vs Souths will be a great game, the two big improvers this year, both will be right up in finals contention next year (hard to see Souths this year, relying on othe results). I think Wests may have this one just because of home ground advantage.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Another option is moving current clubs. I know it is trampling on history, but clubs like norths and wests may one day have to consider a move to the outer suburbs to stay relevant.

If you were setting up the comp now you would never have Uni and west so close together. Likewise Brothers, GPS and Norths.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Im a bit suprised to see Bev Tuquiri still starting at 10 for GPS especially in such a crucial game. Pat Smith who is GPS leading point scorer this year and was the incumbent 10/15 for the first half of the season has been stuck in reserve grade since he got back from London watching his sister at the Olympics. I can understanding showing faith in someone who has been getting the job done since Pat was away but you'd think they'd play the best player for these important games.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Another option is moving current clubs. I know it is trampling on history, but clubs like norths and wests may one day have to consider a move to the outer suburbs to stay relevant.

If you were setting up the comp now you would never have Uni and west so close together. Likewise Brothers, GPS and Norths.

I often thought this. But the more i think about it, i realise it works that the clubs are so central to the City as players make it to training straight from work and uni. Few go home first unless they are doing a trade (which is a high number but low percentage). Think of the clubs as the tip of a slice of pizza, and the residential catchment area is the slice /\. This works out the clubs cover most of Brisbane. Wests and Uni aren't any closer then Souths and Easts.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Im a bit suprised to see Bev Tuquiri still starting at 10 for GPS especially in such a crucial game. Pat Smith who is GPS leading point scorer this year and was the incumbent 10/15 for the first half of the season has been stuck in reserve grade since he got back from London watching his sister at the Olympics. I can understanding showing faith in someone who has been getting the job done since Pat was away but you'd think they'd play the best player for these important games.

I have always though Tuiquri was a good attacking spark for GPS when he has played Easts of the years. But I don't know anything about Smith so this selection was no surprise to me. What is smiths trading card info? (age, size, rep honours, club caps, school, favourite food etc)

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I hope Brothers win it this year as they have been the best team thus far. However, with the Bank looming around the Top 4 towards the business end of the season, they should be the right favourites.
I'm still keeping the faith, C'mon Filth.

I hope Easts make it as well, they dont derserve to miss the finals. I hope both teams meet up in the Finals...with the Catholics winning by a beautiful 30+ margin. Your thoughts in regards to this T12?

Cheers

F

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

Wests have had more numbers this year in grades then the last 3 yearsthe only area they struggle is colts because of the pull of uni but by grades this pull has worn off. You cant really move clubs it isnt a pro franchise where all the money, sponsors and admin will go with it. Effectively all you will be doing is deleting one club for another. All you would do by moving wests to ipswich or norths to caboolture is create to significantly weak clubs and two even strogner clubs as mos tplayers would just head to the next closest i.e uni or brothers so effectively it would a redundant process.

In regards to this weekend both Easts & GPS are missing some key figures and that easts front row look alot weaker on paper than GPS. However i think the leadership fromt he easts halves will be the deal breaker i am tippign easts by 3 matt brandon to score a cache of points.

Souths & wests will be interesting as wests seem to have dropped there top point scorer. Their french backpacker and dominic lespierre from souths dual to be excellent viewing and shoudl make for an exciting game. Souths are on a hotstreak but i can see wests snapping the trend and getting over souths in the forwards. I don't know who is going to win but i am predictign a late try at the death. winner by 5.

other games wirte themselves

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I often thought this. But the more i think about it, i realise it works that the clubs are so central to the City as players make it to training straight from work and uni. Few go home first unless they are doing a trade (which is a high number but low percentage). Think of the clubs as the tip of a slice of pizza, and the residential catchment area is the slice /\. This works out the clubs cover most of Brisbane. Wests and Uni aren't any closer then Souths and Easts.

Very good point.

Whatever the solutions is, the fact remains that it will be a massive wasted opportunity if the QRU dont capitalise on rugbys current popularity in order to spread the game into Logan, Ipswitch, Darling Downs, Caboolture and Redcliffe.

I think the important thing for any club, is building strong links with local high schools, junior clubs and subbies clubs so that players flow through the system from junior rugby to school to club and then maybe subbies (once they get a bit older and have less time).

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the idea of relocation is something that may have to be considered seriously in the future. With the changing demographics of Brisbane suburbs some teams are starting to struggle to find players. Clubs are going to have to change something if they want to survive into the future. Relocation, even if it only 5km, will open the clubs up to more recruits and supporters and could provide some life to the comp. If you look at the Q Cup they are quite progressive in terms of changing the teams involved each year while rugby is much more traditional and seems keen to hold onto clubs even when they are in a financial mess.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have always though Tuiquri was a good attacking spark for GPS when he has played Easts of the years. But I don't know anything about Smith so this selection was no surprise to me. What is smiths trading card info? (age, size, rep honours, club caps, school, favourite food etc)

Yeh Tuiquri is no slouch but Smith was carving up before he went overseas. Not entirely sure of his stats, I know he's only 21 this year and played two years of Prem Colts at GPS and Brisbane Grammar 1st XV in 2008, possibly 2007. I'm pretty sure he's made a rep side at some stage but couldn't tell you exactly what or when. He's not going to light the world on fire and get a contract but in terms of ball distribution, kicking for field position and tackling everything that comes his way I don't think anyone currently at GPS is better. I assume he's going to be getting some time off the bench, hopefully.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)

Umm why do Wests have to move?

We are the most inner city club, punching above our weight.

Our theme song is "Take me home Sylvan Road"... Why can't University move? There's a campus out at Ipswich & Gatton correct? ;)

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I hope Brothers win it this year as they have been the best team thus far. However, with the Bank looming around the Top 4 towards the business end of the season, they should be the right favourites.
I'm still keeping the faith,
FYI bank beat filth 34/17 round 1 50/20 2 nd round enough said.

F

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Umm why do Wests have to move?

We are the most inner city club, punching above our weight.

Our theme song is "Take me home Sylvan Road". Why can't University move? There's a campus out at Ipswich & Gatton correct? ;)
Probably has something to do with their bank balance, playing numbers and financial support oh and their 100+ years of history.

Status
Not open for further replies.