• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
I agree Dan54. If you start with uncontested scrubs you should have to play one man short. This will make props more important to clubs and not feel forgotten or unwanted burdens. Stronger recruitment and retention of props is needed from all clubs at all grades to keep the 2 most important aspect of rugby true. A game for all shapes and sizes, and where everything is a contest for possession.

Easts went non-contested in 3rd Grade and 2nd Grade for the whole game today after putting out quite a competent 4th Grade front row.
Real pity to see props turn up for a game to push for selection in higher grades and be denied their opportunity.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Easts went down to Sunnybank but kept to withing 7 and GPS pipped Uni by 1. Thats all I know -am interested to find out results.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Hi guys we have 2 games covered and I will more than likely get to the East v Sunnybank game but we are still looking for game reports for these 2 games.
  • Rugby Gold Coast v Norths - Glennon Park 3:00

• Breakers vs Norths

Ventured along to Glennon Park yesterday with much optimism to see the mighty Breakers take on a confident Norths side who had pulled off a massive upset the week before by beating the Brethren. It was an almighty arm wrestle in the early stages with the intensity creating a lot of pressure and leading to a few handling errors as both sides tore into one another. The Breakers got first points courtesy of a strong run by 12 Liam Macgeachy who beat his opposite number with a strong fend to dot down beside the posts. McGeachy converted his own try leaving Norths to rue a couple of earlier missed penalties from handy spots. However it would not be long before Norths would bounce back, with a strong surge by their 12 taking the all deep into Breakers territory and with great support play one of their locks scored a well taken try. The Norths kicker was still suffering the kicking wobbles however, he missed a seemingly easy conversion. As the game unfolded the Norths forward started gain dominance and assert itself over its opposition, however both teams would lament missed opportunities with poor handling or decision making. The pressure was starting to tell on the home side and a well worked blind side move from a scrum 15 metres out saw Norths take the lead as the try was converted to see Norths lead 12- 7. The Breakers enjoyed some rare possession in the back end of the first half and were rewarded with a penalty which was converted by McGeachy to leave the Breakers 12-10 down at the break.
    The second half was all one way traffic as the visitors pounced on the errors of the home side and duly converted the pressure into points. It pains me to say but the Breakers capitulation was embarrassing and humiliating and there was more intensity in the local club game that followed, which says a lot about the state of our current representative side here on the Coast. On the flip side, Coach Mike Bishop and his players will be pleased to have travelled down the Pacific Highway and reverse the result from their previous meeting. Rob Nowlan on the other hand will be left wondering as to how he can get us side up for the rest of the season with big games against Souths/GPS/Uni/Brothers and Sunnybank to come. Something tells me this side will concede 100 points in one of these games before the season's end. Crusher

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Easts vs Sunnybank was easily the best game I've seen this year. Both sides were brutal and the quality was of the highest standard. Result could of gone either way but the Bank made the most of a couple of 50/50 chances. Dion Taumata looks the goods at 10.

Brings the question why The Force and Melbourne are short on fly halves when you have the likes of Brandon (who was exceptional again) and Taumata playing in premier grade.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Thanks crusher fantastic effort. I'll definitely put that on the blog.
Ireland, how good was that game! Both sets of forwards ripped in with I think east's just in front. And both backlines looking the goods. I think the bank backs looked a little more dangerous. But like you said the 10s were the standouts though.

Sent using Tapatalk

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was at the GPS v Uni game and Uni will be kicking themselves for losing that one, this isn't really a match report just a quick writeup of how I saw the game.

This was a case of Uni being ill-disciplined and lazy than GPS outplaying them. The outside backs for Uni were lightning fast and were the main reason Uni were able to put so many points on it in the first half. The Uni wingers were both quicker than their GPS counterparts and with the cominbation of some fancy foot work they were able to score some brilliant long distance tries in the first half with GPS manging to keep themselves in with a chance by kicking several penalties throughout the half. The halftime score was 28-9 to Uni.

The 2nd half was a totally different story with the GPS forwards really asserting some dominance over the Uni pack on both attack and defence and getting across the white line several times. Special mention once again to the Smith Bros who at times looked like backs with their silky passes and running ability. Ruan Smith was rewarded when Uni botched a lineout 22m off their line and he barged over from their taking several Uni players with him in the process. Im not sure why but Uni seemed to change their gameplan in the second half and went away from the things that were working for them. They seemed to want to keep the game much tighter in the second half but their forwards were not getting over the gain line. The Uni backline then started to throw some intercepts whilst red hot on attack in the GPS half. If the Uni outside backs had not been so quick there would have been two certain tries scored off intercepts. Luckily for Uni the first intercept to Josh Logan was nullified and he was run down fairly quickly. However, the second time Bev Tuquiri managed to get an offload away followed by some quick hands in the backs and Todd Winkley scored in the corner for GPS which signalled the massive turnaround which saw them go on to win the game. Final score 36-35 to GPS.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Brings the question why The Force and Melbourne are short on fly halves when you have the likes of Brandon (who was exceptional again) and Taumata playing in premier grade.

Matt actually had some time with the Force not long back. How old is he now?

J

Jiggles

Didn't Brandon do a sint over in Japan? Surely he has the goods to be given a crack as s15.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Matt actually had some time with the Force not long back. How old is he now?

According to his player profile on the Easts website he is 26. I think he got 1 minute off the bench for the Force once in 2011. And rightly claims the cap in his profile. Also played a season for Yokogawa and Connacht.

It is interesting to see Murphy, who carves up in club rugby, struggle soo bad in Super Rugby. Is that a true indication of the step up? Or is it an indication that Murphy relize more on his speed and footwork rather tactical nous.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Anyone know what Peni Toia (Souths Loose-Head) got sent off for? As mentioned I only watched the first 10 minutes!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

• Breakers vs Norths

Ventured along to Glennon Park yesterday with much optimism to see the mighty Breakers take on a confident Norths side who had pulled off a massive upset the week before by beating the Brethren. It was an almighty arm wrestle in the early stages with the intensity creating a lot of pressure and leading to a few handling errors as both sides tore into one another. The Breakers got first points courtesy of a strong run by 12 Liam Macgeachy who beat his opposite number with a strong fend to dot down beside the posts. McGeachy converted his own try leaving Norths to rue a couple of earlier missed penalties from handy spots. However it would not be long before Norths would bounce back, with a strong surge by their 12 taking the all deep into Breakers territory and with great support play one of their locks scored a well taken try. The Norths kicker was still suffering the kicking wobbles however, he missed a seemingly easy conversion. As the game unfolded the Norths forward started gain dominance and assert itself over its opposition, however both teams would lament missed opportunities with poor handling or decision making. The pressure was starting to tell on the home side and a well worked blind side move from a scrum 15 metres out saw Norths take the lead as the try was converted to see Norths lead 12- 7. The Breakers enjoyed some rare possession in the back end of the first half and were rewarded with a penalty which was converted by McGeachy to leave the Breakers 12-10 down at the break.
    The second half was all one way traffic as the visitors pounced on the errors of the home side and duly converted the pressure into points. It pains me to say but the Breakers capitulation was embarrassing and humiliating and there was more intensity in the local club game that followed, which says a lot about the state of our current representative side here on the Coast. On the flip side, Coach Mike Bishop and his players will be pleased to have travelled down the Pacific Highway and reverse the result from their previous meeting. Rob Nowlan on the other hand will be left wondering as to how he can get us side up for the rest of the season with big games against Souths/GPS/Uni/Brothers and Sunnybank to come. Something tells me this side will concede 100 points in one of these games before the season's end. Crusher
I grabbed your report for the front page mate. Hope that's okay.

G

G&GR News Bot

GPS 36 def University35 The GPS Gallopers have kept their season alive with a dramatic come-from-behind win over a strong University side. The Red Heavies were boosted by the return of Reds’ fullback, Luke Morahan, who played a dominant role in Uni’s strong first half, taking a 28-9 lead into the break. The home side

Click this link to read the full article...

G

G&GR News Bot

Brisbane put on a beautiful afternoon for Ladies day and the East v Sunnybank match at David Wilson Field. The strong easterly wind blew the length of the field all game had me wishing I had bought a heavier jumper but the kids playing footy on the training field never felt a thing. Easts started

Click this link to read the full article...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This weekends games.
Brothers v GPS Brothers / Jack Ross Oval 1515
Norths v Sunshine Coast Rugby Union Norths / Hugh Courtney Oval 1515
Souths v Rugby Gold Coast Souths / Chipsy Wood Oval 1500
Sunnybank v University of Queensland Sunnybank / Old Mac Oval 1500
Wests v Easts Wests / Sedgman Oval 1 1500

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Think Quade tweeted he'd be playing for Souths this weekend. Bad luck GC. Wonder if Sanchez will turn out for the Sunny Coast?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Think Quade tweeted he'd be playing for Souths this weekend. Bad luck GC. Wonder if Sanchez will turn out for the Sunny Coast?
Yeah but he said against Easts, so I think old Quade is un-informed when it comes to club footy. Tempted to go down to Souths and watch him though.

Maybe this means all the other Wallabies will get a game? If that is the case Sunnybank will destroy everyone (Shatz, Gill, Tapuai).

Status
Not open for further replies.