• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sunnybank has made the crossover successfully. If there is a decently sized player pool the QRU would be mad not to consider promoting a team that is based in the middle of strong league area.

Sunnybank, I think are one of the main opponents for us being promoted, less competition for players etc, have actually been told by one of their admnistrators a couple of years back we should just be happy where we are as feeder for them. I think QRU were right in going to Sunny and Gold Coasts first to spread rugby there, but I also agree I would think we need a stronger Rugby precence in such a strong League area. Anyway what will be will be, I think financially at moment QRU would probably not be to keen on another Prem club, and to be quite honest I think they are a bit more concerned about Reds than clubs just now.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Has Logan moved to the new location that's been discussed for a few years now? I'd also like to see them in Premier rugby sooner rather than later and from what I've heard in passing, the new home ground could be a major boost.

Construction of new clubrooms at new Park is starting this week. We got run around from Council where it was to be, but funnily enough have ended up being in quite a good location for it, it is in industrial area in Slacks Creek/Kingston (Meakin Park), so takes away a lot of parking hassles etc we get with present location.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Logan and Darling Downs would have to be the next 2 teams they promote. But money is defiantly an issue.

Do redcliff have a team playing in the second grade comp yet?

T

tranquility

can someone put a link up for the team sheets? I can never find it at the QRU websit... thanks

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Lion, I see your point, but perhaps Prems would be better with talent spread between more clubs. Regardless as you say QRU is cutting funds so don't really see expansion either. One of reasons I believe for decling numbers this year is the ridiculous decision to start playing so late, I think it a very good way to send players to other sports. And then we have games moved to sunday (like last week) for no apparent good reason, that really hurts clubs bar takings, which is one thing that helps clubs keep afloat.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Yep Lion, I see your point, but perhaps Prems would be better with talent spread between more clubs. Regardless as you say QRU is cutting funds so don't really see expansion either. One of reasons I believe for decling numbers this year is the ridiculous decision to start playing so late, I think it a very good way to send players to other sports. And then we have games moved to sunday (like last week) for no apparent good reason, that really hurts clubs bar takings, which is one thing that helps clubs keep afloat.

The Sunday games were apparently to avoid clashing with Reds games at Suncorp. Lord knows why when the Reds were playing at 7.30 anyway.

Woopsie

Peter Burge (5)
Whilst I don't disagree, I tend to believe that there could be enough talent, but the talent is spread across too few clubs. With regards to the funding issue, this is the biggest issue facing club rugby right now, not only in Brisbane but also in Sydney. Clubs are being choked from the ever increasing expenses without enough opportunities to support themselves. bar takings are always lower on Sunday's, yet the costs involved with RSA, and security staff increases. Without club rugby in mainstream media such as tv, why would sponsors get involved?, aside from being old boys? If Logan came into Premiers, I wonder how many players would shift from Bank to get an opportunity?
Let's face it, club rugby is pretty much buggered and it will be a two tier comp being Prems (trying to be semi-pro) and then club rugby which will resemble mire of a subbies comp. Clubs need the funding, they need a relaxation of some legislation regarding the bar, or they need to get their product back on tv such as ABC game of the week.

S

Saders07

I think there is not even could be enough talent but also fully agree that the talent goes to too few clubs. I personally believe some sort of draft system is needed for those players who come into the Brisbane comp via the QRU. It is also important to recognise that some clubs as well as being attractive playing options for incoming players do also have good development programs and they are getting the reward for that investment. An egalitarian approach can only but strengthen the overall standard of rugby in the Brisbane comp.
As has been pointed out by some keen followers of the grass roots game, revenue is a hard road right now and costs just keep escalating (insurance, ground maintenance, kit etc etc), the sponsorship $ at the core level is extremely hard to come by, especially for the more amateur of the clubs and those that are trying to rebuild on the field.
Will it be that a successful year at the Reds will attract more $'s going into supporting the clubs?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Rugby Interest, I not sure how true, but word was Link wanted to be able to play reserves on Sunday,(though have never seemed to have felt the need to do it before) though it would be ridiculous to move whole club scene to sunday for 4-5 players surely?? I know QRU were very upset with anyone trying to move any games to Saturday in lower grades. I know Bledisloe weekend games are on Sunday as well, as you said I not sure why, test at 7.30 and if there any concern just move the 4 3pm games to Sunday would suffice I would think.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I dont think there is enough talent in QLD to expand the premier comp.
This year it appears that there is a 2 tier comp. Sunny Bank, Uni, Brothers and Easts at the top with GPS performing well above expectations. Then the rest.

Wests, Souths and Norths struggle on and off the field. A hurclean (sp) effort by support staff and coaches at these clubs keep them a float.
Given that they were Grand Finalist last year I would put Sunny Coast into the top tier mix. They have been pretty competitive this year as well. I thinks Souths also have the ability to put a decent team on the paddock but I'm not aware of their off field struggles. Norths and Wests have struggled in recent years, no denying that, and Gold Coast looks to be doing it tough in 2011.

In terms of player pools you would think that the two Coasts should be doing alright for numbers as they pretty much have captive audiences. I've been hearing good things about the expansion of SunCoast rugby, is the same happening on the GC? Maybe the World Seven's in November will give things a bit of a kick down there.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
There needs to be far more (is there any???) promotion of Premier rugby in Brisbane. You go to the Sunny Coast and there are articles about Prem rugby in the paper and on thier local network. Where do you read about Prem rugby in Brisbane? Is there coverage on any of the T.V. news reports? You can catch local league games on the ABC but no prem rugby.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
In terms of player pools you would think that the two Coasts should be doing alright for numbers as they pretty much have captive audiences. I've been hearing good things about the expansion of SunCoast rugby, is the same happening on the GC? Maybe the World Seven's in November will give things a bit of a kick down there.
They are in big finacial trouble. Something about a sponsor pulling out. Read in the paper that meetings are going to be held concerning the future of rugby on the coast.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Rugby Interest, I not sure how true, but word was Link wanted to be able to play reserves on Sunday,(though have never seemed to have felt the need to do it before) though it would be ridiculous to move whole club scene to sunday for 4-5 players surely?? I know QRU were very upset with anyone trying to move any games to Saturday in lower grades. I know Bledisloe weekend games are on Sunday as well, as you said I not sure why, test at 7.30 and if there any concern just move the 4 3pm games to Sunday would suffice I would think.

Thanks Dan - seems even more ridiculous for the Bledisloe given reserves won't need a run and it is not as if the gate would be affected. Like your compromise position of Premier games only on the Sunday. Everyone(players/referees and spectators) are all used to Saturdays and plan around that.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Nice idea but I don't think that the QRU would go for it. They are in a financial struggle too and need all the money they can get.

Also the funding for Premier rugby comes from the ARU and is distributed by the QRU. The QRU doesn't put any of their own money into the comp so has the ARU cut the funding?

It would be interesting to see the financial viability of clubs without the funding. Sunnybank and Uni would be ok. How would the other clubs hold up?

Brothers seem to have turned around their past financial issues
The 2 Coast teams should be able to be self sufficient
Not sure how GPS are going
Norths, Souths and Wests seem to be getting by but would struggle without the funding.
Easts were struggling a few years ago, has this changed

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well it looks as though Souths and Brothers aren't waiting around wondering where their next buck will be coming from. Mid next month they are hosting a joint dinner at $150 a head, with one of the highlights being Buddha Handy reliving past encounters between the two sides. If the likes of Slack, Horan, Lawton brothers, Tony Shaw etc.. are involved it could prove to be a great night for tragics who remember those days.

Good to see the clubs putting their heads together to try and find a positive way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.