• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

Ronald Cochrane

Frank Row (1)
Moving on from this WaterHose talk, and BGS Youth chat… Who has been your ‘Boom’ player? Meaning a young gun who has surprised you. Mine has been A. Illot (GT), and M. Rosmond (TGS).
Hey B6,
I think for me it would be the young Rockhampton prodigy Barry "Twinkle Toes" Smith, the hard working BGS #1. Although as a team BGS hasn't preformed as I'm sure they may have liked too, Barry, (especially considering I believe he is only in grade 11) has had some undoubtubly solid performances. Barry's footwork with ball in hand is almost unmatched by any other prop in the competition and both his defensive and scrummaging efforts have not gone unnoticed with Barry being one of the few props to play every minute this season. I looked forward to what this young gun has instore for the rest of the season and next year. Keep it up Barry.

Yours truly,
Ronald

Sofit

Herbert Moran (7)
On my lunchbreak today, I did my daily reading of the forum followed by an article followed by the courier mail, which discussed the Nrl interest in making the GPS school a nurseries for rugby league through adding the sport to the calendar. I find it fairly ironic that they want to further develop GPS talent into league, however I think we can all agree that they are already poaching the players regardless of no league comp in the GPS. It seems as if every schools first 15 have a boy signed to a nrl club. Just to name a few Laine-Sietu (NC), Iraguha (GT), Walker (IGS), Fifita (TSS), Howarth (BBC) . As further highlighted by the wallabies game on Saturday it's evident that all the talent is going to league in which schools marquee players are 9 times out of 10 signed to a league team on a contract. Although you can look at this on a major scale and point fingers towards Rugby Au I think there is some steps the GPS must make. And this is firstly in the hands of the heads of rugby for respective schools. For Gods sake, stop investing in rugby league players as scholarships. All of the boys mentioned above are on a sporting scholarship, however they will never play union professionally rather league. When I'm watching the games all I hear is that guy is signed to the broncos and never that he is signed to the reds. Rugby Au got very lucky retain Church old boy Frankie goldsbrough, but other than that the major talent within the comp is going to league. You could make a top 8 nrl side with players from this comp. Featuring the like of Carrigan, Fidow, Atkinson, Walker, Gilbert, Savage and many more names. For the sake of Australian rugby union schools need to stop investing in league players and foster future wallabies. I think that the competition should follow the likes of Sydney and make the competition over the course of two terms. It's no wander the reds academy always get pumped when up against the warratahs.

Rugby is at great risk of not be played at GPS in a decade, or at least as a second tier sport, as the NRL and AFL are much better products once it gets to the professional level. I say that as someone who can’t stand AFL nor the culture of it, and someone who will from time to time watch a part of an NRL game but will never have much interest in it due to the one demential nature of the sport as well as the obvious poor culture that surrounds the sport. If the GPS allows league into the GPS it’s all over for rugby union.

Donald Brick

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hey B6,
I think for me it would be the young Rockhampton prodigy Barry "Twinkle Toes" Smith, the hard working BGS #1. Although as a team BGS hasn't preformed as I'm sure they may have liked too, Barry, (especially considering I believe he is only in grade 11) has had some undoubtubly solid performances. Barry's footwork with ball in hand is almost unmatched by any other prop in the competition and both his defensive and scrummaging efforts have not gone unnoticed with Barry being one of the few props to play every minute this season. I looked forward to what this young gun has instore for the rest of the season and next year. Keep it up Barry.

Yours truly,
Ronald
A man of great knowledge you are Ronald.

I have had my tabs on this young boy from Rocky this season and he is one of the premier front rowers in the GPS. Young Barry possesses a great natural talent for the game of rugby as he displays excellent Stamina, Footwork, tackling and IQ in and around the ruck that has won BGS many turnovers throughout the season so far. His performances this season have shown he possesses a level of rugby that is far beyond his youth and Lets see if he can take his game to the next level next year and Hopefully he can lead his BGS side to a win this season and a few more next year!

-DB

Last edited:

Touchie42

Bob McCowan (2)
Moving on from this WaterHose talk, and BGS Youth chat… Who has been your ‘Boom’ player? Meaning a young gun who has surprised you. Mine has been A. Illot (GT), and M. Rosmond (TGS).
My boom player this season has been the young gun Jeremy Boo (BGS). This player is fearful when seeing the open field, no coincidence he competed in the 100m dash in the 2024 Olympics. If i was going to place my bets on a hooker for next season 1st XV, id place it on him.

Donald Brick

Frank Nicholson (4)
My boom player this season has been the young gun Jeremy Boo (BGS). This player is fearful when seeing the open field, no coincidence he competed in the 100m dash in the 2024 Olympics. If i was going to place my bets on a hooker for next season 1st XV, id place it on him.
Touchie,

Sorry mate just checked Xplorer and i cant see any "Jeremy Boo". This sounds like a load of dribble to me. Was watching the Olympics on Friday with my misso and actually caught the 100m dash again no recollection of a "Jeremy Boo". Please keep this dribble out the forum as i will not hesitate to report you to admin.

-Cheers DB

Touchie42

Bob McCowan (2)
Touchie,

Sorry mate just checked Xplorer and i cant see any "Jeremy Boo". This sounds like a load of dribble to me. Was watching the Olympics on Friday with my misso and actually caught the 100m dash again no recollection of a "Jeremy Boo". Please keep this dribble out the forum as i will not hesitate to report you to admin.

-Cheers DB
Hey Don,
Looks like you need to find yourself a suitable pair of spectacles and take another look.
Sincerely T42

Ronald Cochrane

Frank Row (1)
Hey mate no place for that in this forum. It is strictly for QLD GPS footy talk not a place to make your mates laugh. I have reported this and notified staff.

-QTT
Completey agree QTT, I have also reported this myself. This kind of chat will not be tolerated and serves a warning to all these other schoolboys in here. If you have genuine intell that's great, but if not please find another place to get a laugh out of your mate in period 1 woodwork.

Yours truly,
Ron-coch.

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
Hi All, TheRugbyCyclist here, presenting my tips for the week.
As always, these are just an opinion, and I would love to hear feedback/thoughts from all fellow forumists.

TSS vs BSHS - GIVE ME THE STATEY BOYS!
BSHS have proven themselves week in week out as one of the premiership contenders with season. As far as I know, Roman will return again this week, potentially as a starter (not sure if he has been in Tasmania or not), but after a clutch win against IGS away, and premiership contending momentum, I see state high taking this one. Although TSS have been strong, after a loss against BBC, and especially looking at their Nudgee result, I envision that BSHS will come out with the energy and take this one, as TSS seem to be slightly struggling with their mentality so far.
FINAL SCORE - 22-15 BSHS

BGS vs TGS - GIVE ME THE BOYS FROM THE RANGE IN THE BLUE AND GOLD
After a loss for both sides last week, with BGS suffering a big one against NC, and TGS going out in what was once a close game against ACGS, I see the boys from the range coming out with their first win of the season. Although TGS have been dicey, making many changes in their spine throughout the season, their team will prove ultimately too good for the Grammar boys as they travel to Northgate. TGS have had a solid squad all year and have surprised many by not winning, but with their shifty backs and composed forwards, they can easily grab their first win up at Oval 1.
FINAL SCORE - 33-18 TGS

ACGS vs BBC - GIVE ME THE HIGHLANDER BOYS FROM THE 'WONG
This game is shaping up to be one of the best all season, however for obvious reasons it cannot be deemed as my game of the round. Both sides are coming of good wins last week and have looked to be top 5 sides. ACGS especially have seemed to be unpredictable, with losses against GT but a near win against NC, so it's been hard to pick how they can go. However, i predict that after that loss against BSHS, BBC have been fired up and are looking to put one hand on the premiership. With the forwards such as Eagle, Mayberry and their shifty backs such as Howarth and DJ, The team has looked composed both in free play and off the set piece. Churchie will compete, especially in the scrum, with the likes of Sio and Solofa. If BBC can manage their scrum in the late game and use their bench, (such as Clifford, Smith), i see them coming away with this one in a somewhat low scoring affair.
FINAL SCORE - 18-15 BBC

GT vs NC - GIVE ME MY OLD BOYS - THE BLUE AND WHITE. THIS IS THE GAME OF THE ROUND
Ahhhhh, the battle of the colours. Many things have been said about this game, and their are many possibilities indeed. As a NC old boy, my pick may be biased, but I see NC coming up with this one in a close one. NC have proven themselves all season as the team to beat, however GT aren't one to walk away from a challenge, and on their best day could come out winners. Personally, I see this game going two ways.
NUMBER 1 - GT come out firing, and the game goes down to the last minutes
NUMBER 2 - NC come through putting many points on in the first half and GT don't recover.
However it goes, I see Russell, scoring for GT, and O'conell from NC providing as the centrepiece for the NC attack. Scrums will be interesting to watch, with Terrace having a generally smaller time, however they have proven the golden rule in rugby - Size doesn't matter
FINAL SCORE - 19-17 NC

IGS - BYE

Again, please let me know your thoughts, and I thank everyone for putting in the time and effort to read my tips.
Not To "toot my own horn", but 4/4 here :cool:

Quick_Tap_Tony

Jimmy Flynn (14)
All this Spr*n*l*r talk just has me a bit sad, thinking about those horrible days that lead to the lockout as @The Blin6side stated. Fellow forumists - let's just try and chat footy and respect the forum as staff wish. My Question for everyone - who is the most in form hooker at the moment?
J. Grenfell (NC) is in my opinion the best. Workhorse in attack and is a solid wall on defence.

-QTT

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
J. Grenfell (NC) is in my opinion the best. Workhorse in attack and is a solid wall on defence.

-QTT
Agree here mate, and thanks for actually talking footy. My personal Top 3 is

Grenfell (NC) - Great Work in the lineout, attack, and defence, as well as a great runner in the rolling maul - always avoiding the sack.
Harkins (GT) - As I watched the battle of the colours, Harkins appeared to have a strong scrummage structure, as well as what I believe to be one of the highest tackle counts in the game. However I believe he doesn't throw lineouts
Mayberry (BBC) - Great leadership qualities (as I have heard from the BBC camp), as well as a fast heavy ball runner with great defence, and a ruck-defying presence that will make any player scared to jackle his BBC teammates.

TheRugbyCyclist

Watty Friend (18)
Hey, gents hope you are all staying dry on this weary day,

For me, it would most definitely be the upcoming prospect J. Grenfell (NC) as QTT's said. However, I would like to elaborate on QTT's touching comment on Grenfell and add he is an absolute bloke in real life.

Thanks,
RG
Thanks for the reply RG, how do you know him? Coach or Parent or Schoolboy? Apologies if you don't want to get too personal on the forum but I'm just personally interested.