• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nut and Bolt

Stan Wickham (3)
Any talk out of the TGS camp leading into this week, for such a highly touted team this season really doesn't seem to be going in the right direction, I get they've had some hard games to start the season but you have to be looking at making some changes leading into round 4 as, if they don't start to pick up form quite quickly this season could go quite wayward for the boys up the range.
Mate i asked the same question a week ago and gave the changes i would make just from just watching the videos. You might now the team better than me if so, what changes would you make. Be interested to know.

LawsonCreightonFan

Stan Wickham (3)
Mate i asked the same question a week ago and gave the changes i would make just from just watching the videos. You might now the team better than me if so, what changes would you make. Be interested to know.
Cant say I know much about the boys just heard a lot of noise about them in the preseason and honestly expected them to have at least 1 win under their belt going into round 4, you simply cant be a good team off the last few games, need more consistent results.

Outsider

Peter Burge (5)
Goodmorning again, fellow forumist.

You Seem very keen for this game. Would love to hear some initial thoughts on how you think the game will go!!!
No matter what form Terrace have leading into this game anything can happen on the day - the Terrace boys can lift for this game. What do you expect when brother schools play.

TheRugbyCyclist

Chris McKivat (8)
Cant say I know much about the boys just heard a lot of noise about them in the preseason and honestly expected them to have at least 1 win under their belt going into round 4, you simply cant be a good team off the last few games, need more consistent results.
This week against ACGS will give the boys from the range a chance to play, with home crowd energy I can see it going either way. Churchie have proven to be inconsistent but a team that can compete with anyone on the right day, especially with the return of Pritchard into the starting side

TheRugbyCyclist

Chris McKivat (8)
No matter what form Terrace have leading into this game anything can happen on the day - the Terrace boys can lift for this game. What do you expect when brother schools play.
Agree Here - An old addage I used to go by 'Anything can happen on the day, so warm up, hit hard, and play like its your last'. I believe GT on their best day could easily get up against the old NC foe, or on a bad day they could lose by 20+, We shall see. We, shall see.

Brian O’Driscoll

Allen Oxlade (6)
The 2nd XV scrum half from NC, Will Reardon is much better than Watson. Service is much faster and his accuracy is top notch. Watson is only getting picked because of the three year senior rule. Watch the last time U18’s reds v Tahs and listen to the commentary when Watson comes on.
Three year senior?? What is this?

TheRugbyCyclist

Chris McKivat (8)
Ok mate the forum has just got up and running and it is obvious someone has reconnected the hose at GT these sprinkle... are back and honestly I enjoyed a bit of time with them away, this is an unnecessary comment and unless you can explain to me why you've left it here I'm afraid I cannot take you seriously as a fellow member as this forum posting about the 5th XV and their coach. Poor to see THOSE GUYS back on the forum.
We hate to see it. Anyways, back to footy. Who does everyone have for last weeks POTR (POTR is a Footy Acronym for Player of the round)

Brian O’Driscoll

Allen Oxlade (6)
9's- George Hales, Tom Goldy, Stan Keats
10's- Charlie Bird, Charlie O'Connell, Fletcher Austin
12's- Frank Howarth, Max Blanch, Carter Welfare
13's- Max Rohan, James Grey, Saia Poese
Wingers- Ethan Grimshaw, DJ Colivavu(Injured), Brock Coombes
15's- Trevon Pritchard, Jacob Johnson, Charlie Bird(when at fullback)
Stan Keats isn’t playing firsts so who would replace him?
Max Rohan had only played 1 game when this was done. Nick Conway offers more in my opinion.
Grimshaw hasn’t had the greatest start, hopefully gets better as the season goes on. Patterson the other NC winger has been on fire and would get the nod for me.
Murgha from IGS deserves a spot, so does he replace Bird at fullback?

Brian O’Driscoll

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree ACGS v NC was a good game.

Overall NCs discipline was atrocious, offside all the time out wide, there were lots of occasions where it was missed. Having said that if it wasn't for the intercept try then they are easy winners.

On the other hand Churchie showed more fight than they have this year to date. Key goal kicking misses and poor game management decisions cost them the game. Two costly uncontested mid field open side bombs into the wind, yielding easy turnovers for NC on half-way. At 12 all they had NC on the rack and chose 3pts - they lacked confidence to kick it to the corner and work a set piece. NC on the other hand when down 12-15 with an easy penalty but went for the corner - line out set piece ... try.

ACGS were valiant but need to start playing smarter, better tactical kicking and converting goal line pressure - it's cost them 2 weeks in a row. The irony is that NC badly missed their preferred 10.
If NC don’t get their discipline in order that may cost them crucial games.

Sofit

Stan Wickham (3)
If NC don’t get their discipline in order that may cost them crucial games.
I think the refereeing was the issue at this match i.e. an anomaly. Its the only game incl. of the trials where they have had this issue and NC didn't change anything about their discipline during the Churchie match. The amount of times the referee put his hand out when Nudgee were in an attacking position on Churchie's line must have been almost every time. Its odd as its usually the team defending their line valiantly who are incentivised to disrupt the ruck or maul by pushing the boundaries rather than the attacking team. Their discipline is in very good order, in fact its their strong point as they manage to grind out the tough games incl defeating Christchurch from New Zealand, Barker from Sydney, Ipswich Grammar, TSS...and oh...Churchie. If they keep their strong discipline this will help them grind out those come from behind second half wins.

Brian O’Driscoll

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think the refereeing was the issue at this match i.e. an anomaly. Its the only game incl. of the trials where they have had this issue and NC didn't change anything about their discipline during the Churchie match. The amount of times the referee put his hand out when Nudgee were in an attacking position on Churchie's line must have been almost every time. Its odd as its usually the team defending their line valiantly who are incentivised to disrupt the ruck or maul by pushing the boundaries rather than the attacking team. Their discipline is in very good order, in fact its their strong point as they manage to grind out the tough games incl defeating Christchurch from New Zealand, Barker from Sydney, Ipswich Grammar, TSS...and oh...Churchie. If they keep their strong discipline this will help them grind out those come from behind second half wins.
Besides Churchie none of those games were a grind. They comfortably beat all those other teams. If they continue getting heavily penalised it will cost them in tight games.

Sofit

Stan Wickham (3)
Besides Churchie none of those games were a grind. They comfortably beat all those other teams. If they continue getting heavily penalised it will cost them in tight games.

The Christchurch game was Nudgee's best game this year in my opinion where they came from behind to win in the second half. Nudgee was also struggling in the first half v Ipswich, TSS and Churchie but their fitness and discipline in the second half, and/or the final minutes of the first half managed to get them into winning positions. I can't see any team winning against Nudgee unless they are up by at least 10 points into the second half. Churchie gave it a great go, but the 3 points they were up into the second wasn't enough to get the across the line, even with a referee finding technical issues at the breakdown on the try line with the attacking team rather than with the defending team.

Headbin

Stan Wickham (3)
Evidence- When the rugby program’s cognitive body is given time to reflect on the game some days later, and conclusion is

“Its not us, it was the Ref”

I think its fair to say the program has lost its ability to truthfully self reflect on its performance and is in decline.

In this case, I know the Nudgee program is blessed with highly skilled professionals at the top who will know the real deal and hopefully learn and address the teams failing on the weekend. The team came across a defence , which outplayed their attack , and so they were forced to compromise their usual strict discipline, and cross the Rugby law line in order to leverage some advantage. In doing so, they got caught and paid the price with a blast of the whistle from a Ref who even when he is wrong, he is right. Fact. Nfi- yeah nah.

Sofit

Stan Wickham (3)
"...the program has lost its ability to truthfully self reflect on its performance and is in decline."

To date this season NC has won:

- 27 out of 31 games v Churchie
- 49 out of 50 of the games v TSS and IGS
- total to date 96% of all contests
- 100% of all 1st XV games
- Defeated the top rugby school from New Zealand (Christchurch)
- Defeated the top rugby school from Sydney (Barker)

"self reflect on its performance and is in decline."

Dcarter

Banned
Hey outsider, great to have your opinion here. I am enthralled to see why you say that about GT. Because the stats are completely damning saying GT have barely beaten them in 30 years maybe once or twice?

Headbin

Stan Wickham (3)
"...the program has lost its ability to truthfully self reflect on its performance and is in decline."

To date this season NC has won:

- 27 out of 31 games v Churchie
- 49 out of 50 of the games v TSS and IGS
- total to date 96% of all contests
- 100% of all 1st XV games
- Defeated the top rugby school from New Zealand (Christchurch)
- Defeated the top rugby school from Sydney (Barker)

"self reflect on its performance and is in decline."
If Nc program are teaching , their students that its acceptable to complain about alleged Ref Bias publicly rather than examine where the 1st team discipline broke down when threatened with a real possibility of a loss, then yes the program is in decline and Nudgee should expect a loss soon.

i just happen to know the NC Rugby Hierarchy are more professional than that and they know what is right and wrong and accusing Refs is not their style. Perhaps the rest better “ get with the program “ or let the decline continue.

Sofit

Stan Wickham (3)
If Nc program are teaching , their students that its acceptable to complain about alleged Ref Bias publicly rather than examine where the 1st team discipline broke down when threatened with a real possibility of a loss, then yes the program is in decline and Nudgee should expect a loss soon.

i just happen to know the NC Rugby Hierarchy are more professional than that and they know what is right and wrong and accusing Refs is not their style. Perhaps the rest better “ get with the program “ or let the decline continue.
It was more that the parents were discussing this rather than the players. Regardless, Churchie were unlucky not to win in the end and they’re great rugby rivals to Nudgee and vice versa.

Headbin

Stan Wickham (3)
It was more that the parents were discussing this rather than the players. Regardless, Churchie were unlucky not to win in the end and they’re great rugby rivals to Nudgee and vice versa.
….. and there is no denying, Nudgee teams are dominating the win sheets when they play all schools. Well done Nudgee.

The closeness of the weekends firsts game was a tribute to what a competitive and exciting game of Rugby is all about. Lets have more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.