• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sofit

Stan Wickham (3)
I watched the Churchie v Nudgee match and as a Nudgee Old Boy I think Churchie put in an admirable effort, particularly in defence which shut down a lot of the Nudgee options in the backline. The match could have gone either way actually.

Nudgee lacked a bit of variation in attack but this might have been influenced by a few changes made to the backline due to injuries that upset the decision making, particularly when under pressure from Churchie's rushing defence.

Nudgee's forwards seemed to dominate once they got the rolling maul marching forward and I think it was this aspect of their game that got their noses in front in the end. Both team's line outs were unreliable and I believe this is Nudgee's biggest vulnerability. Its been inconsistent all three of their games this season and so they need to tighten this up.

Number 15 (Pritchard) for Churchie had a huge impact on the match and nearly won it for Churchie towards the end of the match. He had the biggest influence on the game from either team in my opinion.

I think Nudgee is beatable noting that BBC, Terrace or State High would need to be at their best to knock them off. Terrace at home v Nudgee might be an opportunity for them to make history by rising to the occasion, but I think State High is probably the biggest threat, albeit I understand the game is on Ross which is difficult for visiting teams, particularly when Nudgee is sniffing a Premiership. The atmosphere there is palpable when they're in the hunt (this time for the 45th) and the support really notches up at the campus and also amongst the Old Boys and parents during this period. You can feel the energy bouncing off the Renaissance buildings surrounding Ross Oval so they won't give up there easily without one hell of a fight.

BBC seem to be grinding away also so this will also be a close one but I'm not sure where the game will be played. If its at Toowong then it will be a close one.

I don't think BGS will be an easy game either for Nudgee and they will provide some healthy competition to the boys on Ross.

This is a very interesting and competitive season so far and there's plenty to be decided yet before anyone can confidently say who will win this year. It wouldn't be controversial to suggest Nudgee will be fancying their chances after facing three difficult opponents but I agree with one of the other posts that Churchie have provided a blue (and grey) print for how to put Nudgee under pressure.

FTF

Allen Oxlade (6)
1. Hugh Rylance - Tall Churchie half who played well last year and is one of the best tacklers in the comp across all positions.
2. Sam Watson - The strong Nudgee half who is calm and experienced has a good mind for the game.
3. Tom Goldie - The Experience TSS half who is professional with a good mind for the game and a top notch kicking game

HM
M. Ngtai (BSHS), J. Post (IGS)
The 2nd XV scrum half from NC, Will Reardon is much better than Watson. Service is much faster and his accuracy is top notch. Watson is only getting picked because of the three year senior rule. Watch the last time U18’s reds v Tahs and listen to the commentary when Watson comes on.

FTF

Allen Oxlade (6)
He has the attacking ability and kicking game, however his small frame and defence pushed him to the bench behind the crafty Walker
Funny you say that considering he outplayed Walker and was dropping the bigger lads from TSS. Plus you would have him there over Walker purely for goalkicking. Walker 63%, O’Connell 80%.

Themaulmarauder

Bob McCowan (2)
ROUND 4 PREDICTIONS

BSHS vs IGS: State high to win by +7, will most definitely be a close game with IGS look to bounce back after a tough loss, but the pure power of the state high pack will overcome.

NC vs BGS: NC by 20+, not much to say here easy win.

BBC vs TSS: BBC by 3, Game of the round in my opinion, BBC old boys day as well, certain to pick up a crowd, both sides will look to get their forwards involved early but the game will be decided by the backs, with the BBC backline lacking recently they will be itching to prove themselves and no better occasion than old boys day, will definitely be a close one!

ACGS vs TGS: ACGS by 7+, will e a great game of rugby, with many big performances, however TGS, so far 0-3 are sure to have no confidence a lack of enthusiasm and especially facing Churchie fresh of a close lose to Nudgee which will fire them up

GT Bye

Overall were in for a great weekend of footy! Let me know your thoughts.

TheRugbyCyclist

Chris McKivat (8)
Hi All - First time poster here, wanting to keep things strictly Footy.

Alas, here are my predictions for round 4

Nudgee Vs BGS
With a close game against churchie last week, with Nudge just scraping on top, and Grammar narrowly going down against the boys in red and black, I'm predcting a closer score than most. Nudgee at home will prevail too strong, with the return of O'Conell and a much stronger forward pack, I see Nudgee taking this one, but Grammar putting up a few tries with a team looking to compete this year.
FINAL SCORE - 37-18 (NC)

TGS vs ACGS
The boys from the range travel back to their mountain this week, after a tough loss against TSS. With ACGS having a close game against Nudgee last week and looking extremely strong, I see the likes of Pritchard, Blanch and Sio taking the win against a Toowomba side looking for inspiration in a close match
FINAL SCORE - 22-19 ( ACGS)

BBC vs TSS - GAME OF THE ROUND
After a close win against Ipswich for BBC, I see this game coming down to the wire, especially after TSS had a strong win against the boys from the range. This game will come down to the wire with BBC's strong depth, in the backs such as Howarth, Taka, etc, as well as TSS with the likes of Goldie and Uys being standouts. If you ask me, late game forward work will be the deciding factor, with BBC looking for inspiration on their bench through the likes of Lucas Clifford to get them over the line.
Final Score - 26-22 TSS

BSHS vs IGS
BSHS have been rampant this season, however without the likes of roman siulepa during this part of the season, it will get harder for them. However, I still see them running undefeated until the likes of TSS and Nudgee.
Final Score - 37-12 BSHS

GT vs Downlands
Heard around the grounds that terrace plan to rest their starting XV this week, to prevent any niggles or injuries before the fabled battle of the colours. However, with an injury stricken camp, the team they put up to play downlands will have to play hard and fast to come up with a win.
Final Score - 22-20 GT

Taniela Mcreight

Stan Wickham (3)
Is there any word on Prestyn Laine-Sietu's hip injury that he attained in the pre-season, will he returning before the end of the season, or is that year 13 over for him ?

Taniela Mcreight

Stan Wickham (3)

Nudgee Vs BGS
With a close game against churchie last week, with Nudge just scraping on top, and Grammar narrowly going down against the boys in red and black, I'm predcting a closer score than most. Nudgee at home will prevail too strong, with the return of O'Conell and a much stronger forward pack, I see Nudgee taking this one, but Grammar putting up a few tries with a team looking to compete this year.
FINAL SCORE - 37-18 (NC)

TGS vs ACGS
The boys from the range travel back to their mountain this week, after a tough loss against TSS. With ACGS having a close game against Nudgee last week and looking extremely strong, I see the likes of Pritchard, Blanch and Sio taking the win against a Toowomba side looking for inspiration in a close match

After a close win against Ipswich for BBC, I see this game coming down to the wire, especially after TSS had a strong win against the boys from the range. This game will come down to the wire with BBC's strong depth, in the backs such as Howarth, Taka, etc, as well as TSS with the likes of Goldie and Uys being standouts. If you ask me, late game forward work will be the deciding factor, with BBC looking for inspiration on their bench through the likes of Lucas Clifford to get them over the line.
Final Score - 26-22 TSS

BSHS vs IGS
BSHS have been rampant this season, however without the likes of roman siulepa during this part of the season, it will get harder for them. However, I still see them running undefeated until the likes of TSS and Nudgee.
Final Score - 37-12 BSHS

GT vs Downlands
Heard around the grounds that terrace plan to rest their starting XV this week, to prevent any niggles or injuries before the fabled battle of the colours. However, with an injury stricken camp, the team they put up to play downlands will have to play hard and fast to come up with a win.
Final Score - 22-20 GT
I don't really see the bumpkins beating churchie, but otherwise I don't mind.

FTF

Allen Oxlade (6)
Very fair assessment and lines up with what I saw. Nudgee were deserved winners but who doesn’t like a close game?

Interception trys do count still and adds to the ill discipline . Why throw the pass? More for the coaches to look at next week.

I agree , Churchie showed more fight than previous games, but also showed they can compete at the top level. I totally agree that a kick for the corner to back themselves instead of a kick for goal made more sense and a more aggressive approach may have put Nudgee under even more pressure. ACGS were obviously trying to take any points on offer as a mark of respect for who they were playing but it backfired. Nudgee may not have reciprocated that respect thinking they could score at will like the TSS game ( but they couldn’t )hence the close score line.

I will also pick up the point that Nudgees set piece and go to “line out” to driving maul , failed time and time again and the final try in the corner was not pretty but got them home. The Churchie pack was out muscled and jumped but their counter defence strategy and determination in the tackles to neutralise these Nudgee weapons was outstanding and a new experience to Nudgee. Nudgee was completely outplayed in this area and their frustrations showed. They couldn’t break down the defensive line with their set piece. Wtf? Churchie therefore won the forwards battle with their loose forwards beating Nc to the breakdown time and time again.

I cant help but think , Nudgee were lucky to get away with this one, but Churchies attack was too timid. Churchie could have easily have stolen it in the final minutes with some razzle dazzle try but they didn’t and the result stands with a W for Nudgee.

Still The fact is Nudgee couldn't ice Churchie like they did to TSS , and that will have them thinking as to what it all means. This game will have them psychologically confused about their abilities to handle a team like BSHS.

On the other hand BSHS BBC and the others will be rolling the replays tomorrow on this game, grateful to have been given insight into the” keys to victory “. It will be up to Nudgee to check the locks to ensure they dont get in, and steal the premiership silverware.
NC will have O’Connell, Welfare and Laine-Setu back in the next couple of weeks.

FTF

Allen Oxlade (6)

Nudgee Vs BGS
FINAL SCORE - 37-18 (NC)

TGS vs ACGS

Final Score - 26-22 TSS

BSHS vs IGS
Final Score - 37-12 BSHS

GT vs Downlands
Final Score - 22-20 GT
O’Connell isn’t back until GT round which I believe is round 5

backfencewarrior

Frank Row (1)
9's- George Hales, Tom Goldy, Stan Keats
10's- Charlie Bird, Charlie O'Connell, Fletcher Austin
12's- Frank Howarth, Max Blanch, Carter Welfare
13's- Max Rohan, James Grey, Saia Poese
Wingers- Ethan Grimshaw, DJ Colivavu(Injured), Brock Coombes
15's- Trevon Pritchard, Jacob Johnson, Charlie Bird(when at fullback)
i'm not sure how I feel about Stan Keats considering that he has lost his starting spot behind Issac kefu now who seems to fit well in the bbc system.

Daniel Koalins

Allen Oxlade (6)
Courier Mail TOTW
1. Barry Smith (BGS)
2. John Grenfell (NC0
3. Charlie Hollyman (GT)
4. Ed Kasprowicz (NC)
5. Matt Schiebel (IGS)
6. Tom Wood (Churhcie)
7. Will Devine (GT)
8. Dyer Akauola (BGS)
9. Tom Goldie (TSS)