• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

TheGPSBloke

Herbert Moran (7)
How are the A’s in each age group looking?
No clue mate but what I will tell you is what a player Joey Gray. Unfortunately being out for the majority of the preseason, kid loves jackal. From what i’ve heard, not sure if this is true, he also is very focused on his academics receiving the dux of year 11 English last year.

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some great final trial match-ups before the season kicks off the following weekend.

BBC will want to hit the ground running as they have the Round 1 bye followed by a tough Round 2 assignment vs BSHS at home. It will be very interesting to see how Churchie go against a strong BBC squad who have high hopes this season so that should be a great game at Miskin Street. If Churchie's developing pack can more than hold their own against BBC up front, they will be more than a handful and I suspect will be a very good contest.

I think Nudgee will give Terrace a good old-fashioned touch up and a bit of a reality check going into Round 1 and from reports, Terrace is going to struggle a bit this year. Hopefully for the Red & Black, thats not the case.

State High vs Ippy should be another good contest but State High at home should get the job done.

Lets hope all the lads from each school come through the final trial matches unscathed and ready to roll and bring there best for Round 1.

Bring it on I say!

Wicked Left Foot

Frank Row (1)
New to the forum, and it's been interesting reading everyone's thoughts on the upcoming season. Any predictions for the final trials before the season proper??

BSHS v IGS?
NC v GT?
BBC v ACGS?

BGS v TGS?
TGS v TSS?
TSS v BGS?

OldManFromOnTheHill

Frank Row (1)
BSHS will deal with Ippy comfortably, NC and BBC will both dominate Churchie and GT. TGS and TSS should deal with BGS with ease and finally TGS v TSS, should be a good game, but I’ve got TGS winning.

RazorRamon

Stan Wickham (3)
I suspect most teams will not be wanting to show their complete hands in their final trial matches so I envisage the trial matches to be “half game wonders” before the coaches empty the benches.

The round 1 clash between State High vs Toowoomba will be an absolute cracker. If there were 2 teams you’d want to avoid early, it would be these 2 teams with Toowoomba’s strong preseason form having toured and performed strongly in New Zealand, while the ability of the State High boys to get good minutes playing in the Queensland Schools sides will surely ensure they hit the ground running.

Hope all the lads get through their trials unscathed. Bring on the season!!

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi all, just wondering if you could please tell me the approx number of teams (prep and senior school) that each GPS school has.

Thanks

Last edited:

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not sure if BBC took Churchie lightly this arvo but the score line of 40 - 38 flattered BBC with goal kicking proving the difference in a narrow but expected win for the College.

With BBC running with a strong breeze in the first half, it appeared they were going to establish a big lead but to Churchie’s credit, they kept coming back and it became a bit of a shoot out in the first half. BBC looked dominant close to the Churchie try line and scored some easy tries with pick and gos which is something for Churchie to work on before Round 1 next week.

As far as players who stood out for each team, Churchie were once again well served by busy hooker H Solofa who had a solid all-round game on both sides of the ball. Defensively he was very strong and was rewarded with two well taken rolling-maul tries from line-outs and his work rate has been a stand out in the pre-season. Definitely one of the form hookers heading into the season proper.

Versatile Churchie back-rower S Williams had another strong game breaching the advantage line with strong carries and is setting himself up for a big year.

Churchie has missed regular starter from 2023 J Crothers at No. 8, playing his first pre-season game in about 6-7 weeks and added some much needed punch to the Churchie pack bending the line in a couple eye-catching carries.

For the Churchie backs, captain M Blanch was a solid contributor and led the team well. The tougher the game, the better young Blanch plays and he’s as tough as they come.

Hot-stepping fullback T Pritchard was dangerous in attack and will be the x-factor that Churchie needs to break open a game when needed.

For BBC, stand-out performers for me were todays fullback C Bird whose goal-kicking and calming influence in attack will be vital for BBC this year.

BBC LH prop O Donovan had a strong game and scored a typical front-rowers try with a powerful surge to dot down.

Young halfback I Kefu had a busy game and seems to be coming into his own. Once he learns when to pick his moments to snipe around the ruck and catch-out lazy forwards, he will be very dangerous.

Overall, I think Churchie can take a lot of positives out of today’s trial as they pushed BBC all the way. Churchie will go into Round 1 at home next week versus BGS in a confident mood and if they can fix up a few areas they lacked in today, BGS could be in for a long afternoon at Main Oval next weekend.

The College were expected to dominate Churchie today and have been one of the form teams of the pre-season but unfortunately for them, no points are awarded for trial matches and they could be at a disadvantage with the first round bye, followed by a tough round 2 fixture against a resurgent BSHS.

As I’ve mentioned in earlier posts, this season is shaping up as one of the closest and the majority of the games should be very competitive based on trial matches from today.

Last edited:

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
Good summary Churchie scrum started strong but didn’t finish that way and they need some lineout call coaching in windy conditions ie done go long was very average. Churchie 9 feeds good ball. BBC kicking game in play and for touch outstanding - was the difference in the game and the result.

outsidechance

Frank Row (1)
Churchie were much improved across both 1st and 2nds, they appear to have far more depth than trial form may have suggested.

Agree, kicking was the difference. Some easy conversions missed and not finding touch on penalties will cruel their chances in such a tight competition. BBC general play kicking and penalty line kicks were clinical by comparison.

Churchie fullback basically scored 2 tries from nothing, very impressive patches. And the BBC yellow card helped keep things close. Churchie game management was non existent, flyhalf looked a little lost most of the time but I understand they were resting their regular 10 for next week.

I wouldn't write off BBC, lots of changes to positions in the second half, a bunch of 2nd XV players running on. They seem to be taking a larger squad based approach to pre-season than Churchie.

Time will tell.

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don’t think anyone has said they’re writing off BBC just yet, I just think they underestimated Churchie yesterday, who are improving with every game they’ve played during the trials

The BBC 1st XV team listed for each trial in pre-season (all available on Rugby Xplorer) has been pretty consistent across all their trial matches this year so the team they started with yesterday have had plenty of minutes - see attached BbC team list from yesterday. To put it into context, I believe BBC have played 2 or 3 more trial matches than what Churchie have this year which makes a difference prep wise, so I believe Churchie will be primed for Round 1 and take momentum into the tougher games.

It’s going to be an intriguing season but I believe, from what I’ve seen from the Churchie trial matches and IF they can keep their starting 1st XV injury free, they will be sending some more fancied teams home with their tails between there legs!!! As you said, time will tell!

Attachments

• IMG_4875.png
    IMG_4875.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4876.png
    IMG_4876.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

TheGPSBloke

Herbert Moran (7)
Would have to say I was extremely impressed by GT performance against Nudgee yesterday. Only going down 26-12, with a few missed opportunities from the boys from Spring Hill, if coach Adrian Thompson pays close attention to moves off the set piece we could certainly be in for a close battle of the colours game this year. I feel a close game between these two teams is vital this year to keep this rivalry burning, after what almost feels like a decade of NC domination.

GPS_scout2024

Stan Wickham (3)
My GPS rugby Ladder prediction:
1. TSS
2. BSHS
3. NC
4. BBC
5. TGS
6. ACGS
7. IGS
8. GT
9. BGS

State high have been overlooked due to the state school status, they have gone undefeated through the trial period with Seamus Boakes (10) leading this dynamic pack. I do believe TSS will be hard to beat due to their sheer size and power. However as a Nudgee Oldboy i do believe we are always top contenders. Don't dismiss the mighty Green and Black however the TGS boys know how to have a good dig.

RazorRamon

Stan Wickham (3)
Caught a late viewing of the game between Churchie and BBC and I must say I’m starting to see what you mean about Churchie.

Had they executed their kicking a bit better especially to touch, because their failure to clear their lines lead to a number of BBC tries, the result could have been totally different.
However, the passes are starting to stick and geez that maul is starting to come on. I would have to say, Churchie has a lot of ceiling left to improve which makes them ultra dangerous and as you said will beat teams who don’t take them seriously.

The only knock I have is the lack of depth Churchie has in their front row and outside back stocks particularly if centre Max Blanch or fullback phenom Treyvon goes down. While I’m sure Churchie has players that can fill these positions those two are absolutely crucial to Churchie’s chances out wide.

For BBC, I would say based on their trial form they have to be the favourites alongside Toowoomba.

The number 6 Gray O’Neil in the red headgear was very solid on both sides of the ball alongside the others you mentioned but I thought the BBC 10 Toby Kennedy’s kicking game (particularly out of hand) was very astute and was the base that eventually resulted in his team winning their final trial.

Last edited:
caught a glimpse of the tss vs state high game up in gold coast and i must say, Ryder ‘Wrecking Ball’ Gilbert the seconds xv lose head is looking quite the part, excited to see how the coaches for state high use him wether that’d be off the bench or starter, either way he. can. do DAMAGE!

Last edited:

beastmode_101

Bob McCowan (2)
yes state high has a lot of unheard depth off their bench and in the seconds, after watching the state high vs IGS game, there a big warning signs for state highs round 1 as their star number 8 roman siulepa limped off late in the first half with what looked like a hamstring injury. however, player off the bench Connor Varitimos was very surprising showing how skilful he can be both ways and especially in the breakdown

TheGPSBloke

Herbert Moran (7)
caught a glimpse of the tss vs state high game up in gold coast and i must say, Ryder ‘Wrecking Ball’ Gilbert the seconds xv lose head is looking quite the part, excited to see how the coaches for state high use him wether that’d be off the bench or starter, either way he. can. do DAMAGE!
And the Sprinklers have come back to the forum.