• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Phil Waugh retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Here is a question to consider- is Phil Waugh the last of a dying breed? Only played with one club and one franchise, typical hard man who played through injury, and clearly put the satisfaction of teammates before himself, money seems not to be much of a sticking point. Don't see too many like this anymore, in the age of 1-year contracts and KPIs.

Without any research, I assume there are a few others in the Oz conference who fit that mold and perhaps someone can list them.

But casting my gaze elsewhere, right off the top of my head, that description above sounds like it fits Richie McCaw...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think there will still be one club players. If we look across the other codes in Australia, we still see examples of it, though less often than before. Taking the OS option at the end of your career doesn't really count in my view.

As the Force and Rebels develop more players from within the state, I think you'll see guys staying at those franchises for their whole careers.

But it's really a reflection of wider society, as sport and entertainment often are. The "job for life" was really only a temporary construct of a brief period in the 20th century. Most of us will have several employers through our working lives.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I suppose one of the reasons for the decline in the 'one franchise for life' thing is the rise of the Force and now Rebels while NSW and QLD remain the rugby nursery. 90% of Force players have their 'base' in NSW or QLD, and so will always have that craving to come back east. That is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Pocock move, or anyone else for that matter. Loyalty is one thing but family is another entirely.

Read somewhere that Pocock's wife is a local Perth lassie so guess he has more of a reason to stay with the Force ....

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
interesting tidbit in the daily telegraph article this morning, that phil knew he was going to retire before the brumbies game but didnt say anything cos he didnt want to overshadow al baxters last home game. this sums up why phil is an absolute clubman that alot of people could learn from.

Or he's trying to prolong the "let's do it for player x!" effect.

/cynic.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Or he's trying to prolong the "let's do it for player x!" effect.

/cynic.

I don't think thats cynical. I think it was a calculated move to have that exact effect. Not only are these new guys that are coming into the side, going to want to shine in a rare super rugby appearance, its also a final and as Lam said in the time honoured position of talking up opponents "they're going to be playing out of their skins". They also now have the added motivation of sending their fearless leader out on a high with a couple of extra hats and a trophy.

I think Waugh had that exactly in mind, and he's very good at pushing all sorts of buttons including emotional and motivational ones.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TPN: Our glaring mistakes

Tatafu Polota-Nau
June 24, 2011 12:00AM

SOME captains will kick chairs and Eskies when they're angry. Others may scream and shout.

When Phil Waugh is angry with you, it's deafening silence ... and then comes the stare.

I have played with some great captains in my career but no one can match the effect of Waughy's glare when you've stuffed up on the field.

He will barely even need to say anything, it is just clear from that look that you are not up to scratch in his books. You've let him down.

It's tough to be on the end of it but I will tell you what, it works. You quickly learn to fix what is wrong and improve and it shows exactly how much passion he has to get the job done - and how much passion he expects you should have as well.

Waughy sets the bar in so many ways for the Waratahs, on and off the field.

His preparation is meticulous, and though rugby can seem complex at times, he has the ability to relay the strategies and plans really simply to the team during the week. You are left knowing if you bust your gut for 80 minutes you will get the result.

Around about an hour before the game tonight in Auckland, the boys will see Waughy switch it on.

The emotion starts to charge in him.

Just looking at him going through his rituals, getting strapped, getting dressed, his body language just yells out: "If anyone stuffs with me, they're the one who will get stuffed". In the minutes leading up to the game, he won't scream and yell. Again it is just calm and repetitive instruction on our game plan. He will talk with some of the new guys and the young guys, and tell them they belong out there. Beside him. Trust me, they'll run through brick walls for the guy.

And then it's about playing the 80 minutes and if Waughy doesn't need to pull out the stare, then we're a great chance of winning.

That's the leader I know. Phil Waugh is a selfless footballer and his ability to tolerate pain and not show weakness is a big part of why the Waratahs culture is strong.

I know I've tried to follow Waughy's lead but I've come to realise over the years that he can't do it on his own, and senior players must step up and give him a hand.

As much as he may come across as the macho man, underneath it all is a big heart. He banned the Tahs players from watching his press conference because he was worried he'd break down.

Tonight, I reckon the boys can pull it off. Yes, we have had heaps of injuries and got so many new faces but in terms of journeys this has been the most amazing season I think I have ever experienced.

This team has refused to give in. Refused to show pain. Refused to buckle.

Does that sound like anyone you know?

D

daz

Just reading that I was ready to run through a brick wall for Waugh. And I'm Red!

That is a very well written article by TPN. If the squad feels the same, by Christ they may just pull it off......

Go Tahs. Love to see you boys next week....

Status
Not open for further replies.