• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Phil Waugh retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I know nothing about the Beau-in-NSW situation really. I'd be interested to know your take on it Scarfy?

My take is the same as everyone else's - he got arse raped. He was a totally up-and-coming 7, with terrific energy, and somehow the Tahs didn't want him. I would have replaced Waugh with Beau a couple of years ago. It might have allowed a wider game plan, for a start. Did Waugh have anything to do with his dumping from NSW? No idea.

Tah J - why read between the lines when you can just come out and say it. IF you have any information - that's IF - then what is it?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
All the best for the future Phil. Great player and ambassadour of the game. Good to see him leave with his legacy intact.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bit of inside mail for you boys here, Waughs father in law is quite a wealthy man, so it was never about the money for him.

I doubt very much that his father-in-law's wealth would have influenced Phil's attitudes. My impression has always been that he intended to make his own way in the world. Not long out of school he was already focussed on investments. When I told him once that another quite famous Wallaby had said that he never played for money Phil was incredulous.

Whenever it was suggested he would go overseas to chase big money I always argued that he was smart enough to realise that his unwavering identification with Sydney and New South Wales would have benefits for him in the long run. His status as a local hero will be invaluable in terms of business connections. I anticipate that Phil's huge success as a rugby player will be paralleled by similar success in the next phase of his life.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
31 is young but talk about a player who put his body on the line. At 5'9" he really had no business playing that many tests ! Eptimosied NSW rugby with his toughness & physicality. Great servant of the game, fantastic player in his day.

Its also an enormous positive. He's been past it for 2 years if not more, its been a complete charade. The Waratahs finally get the chance to move forward.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I know nothing about the Beau-in-NSW situation really. I'd be interested to know your take on it Scarfy?
I found pretty much all the documented history of events and put them in the Beau Robinson wiki article a few months ago

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
An extraordinary warrior and leader. He demanded and commanded respect both on and off the field. He'd make a formidable coach at the highest levels, but I believe he's determined to head into the business world.

On another note, it really will be a lot easier for any new coach coming into NSW next season to establish his program as Waugh ran the damn sheds so completely.

Interesting that word is that Elsom's presence is not wanted by NSW even with Waugh retiring (Ian Payten).

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bit of inside mail for you boys here, Waughs father in law is quite a wealthy man, so it was never about the money for him.

That is gossip rather than inside mail.

Good luck to Mr Waugh. He has a B. Ec. from Sydney Uni and probably post graduate qualifications as well. I agree with Bruce that he'll do well in the business world. He'd be a hard headed opponent to come up against in the board room (if a little dogmatic).

I also agree with naza that the Waratahs will be able to move forward without him. He has been like a boa constrictor around the Waratahs over the last 2-3 years. The fresh air in their lungs will do them good.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

He seems like the type of guy to sponge off the father-in-law. ::)
If we have seen nothing of Phil Waugh, it is that he is very much his own man.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
interesting tidbit in the daily telegraph article this morning, that phil knew he was going to retire before the brumbies game but didnt say anything cos he didnt want to overshadow al baxters last home game. this sums up why phil is an absolute clubman that alot of people could learn from.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I doubt very much that his father-in-law's wealth would have influenced Phil's attitudes. My impression has always been that he intended to make his own way in the world. Not long out of school he was already focussed on investments. When I told him once that another quite famous Wallaby had said that he never played for money Phil was incredulous.

Whenever it was suggested he would go overseas to chase big money I always argued that he was smart enough to realise that his unwavering identification with Sydney and New South Wales would have benefits for him in the long run. His status as a local hero will be invaluable in terms of business connections. I anticipate that Phil's huge success as a rugby player will be paralleled by similar success in the next phase of his life.

I read a paper a thousand years ago on marketing networks within business circles, Nick Farr-Jones was used as an example with his networks, Newington, Sydney Uni Law & Rugby,

Phil will have the same opportunities to leverage

If Phil calls up with an opportunity, the CEO is going to take the meeting.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
He seems like the type of guy to sponge off the father-in-law. ::)
If we have seen nothing of Phil Waugh, it is that he is very much his own man.

If his mother in law is as ugly and brutal as Phil, I truly feel for him. ;) I think Bruce summed up Phill's potential view really well. I don't think #1Tah meant anything disrespectful in his post.

#1Tah, just a little tip mate. It can easily be viewed disrespectful and poor form to discuss another man's money. I think it depends on generation but that is what I was always taught. :thumb

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I found pretty much all the documented history of events and put them in the Beau Robinson wiki article a few months ago

Sometimes people need a serious kick and move away from their comfort zone before they actually reach their potential

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Here is a question to consider- is Phil Waugh the last of a dying breed? Only played with one club and one franchise, typical hard man who played through injury, and clearly put the satisfaction of teammates before himself, money seems not to be much of a sticking point. Don't see too many like this anymore, in the age of 1-year contracts and KPIs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Here is a question to consider- is Phil Waugh the last of a dying breed? Only played with one club and one franchise, typical hard man who played through injury, and clearly put the satisfaction of teammates before himself, money seems not to be much of a sticking point. Don't see too many like this anymore, in the age of 1-year contracts and KPIs.

Nah, Horwill & Genia ain't going to turn up in a Blue jersey, and I expect Mumm, Carter, Turner, Robinson, Nau & Baxter won't turn out elsewhere either.

But all may take a few Superannuation years OS before they finish I guess.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Dean Mumm? Ashley-Cooper could have been. I think Genia will be, same with Horwill.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

It is the end of an era for me and this is a big part of the reason. Over the last 10-13 years the stand out for me in Australian rugby was the triangular rivalry between Smith, Waugh and Crofty. All shining lights of loyalty and integrity and men who would bleed unconditionally for the jersey they wore. Waugh being the only one left and now going is a bit sad.

To answer your question though, I think Pocock will follow in the mould of these players.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I suppose one of the reasons for the decline in the 'one franchise for life' thing is the rise of the Force and now Rebels while NSW and QLD remain the rugby nursery. 90% of Force players have their 'base' in NSW or QLD, and so will always have that craving to come back east. That is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Pocock move, or anyone else for that matter. Loyalty is one thing but family is another entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.