• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Phil Waugh retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Surely Tahs would be pressing to get Beau Robinson back now. He's only on an upgraded academy contract at the Reds isn't he?

Why would Robinson even give them a time and a place?

They threw him away like yesterdays news, the Reds gave him an opportunity and he took it.

While its just an observation, I would daresay that Beau feels some form of loyalty to the Reds for this.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
A good time to retire I think, if that's his intention. His form is still good and he has the respect of the guys around him. Better to go out and people ask you why you did than why you didn't earlier (to paraphrase Shane Warne). I don't know that his body will carry him too much further at this level, as he's been injured a lot this year. I also think it might be time for a new leadership structure at the Tahs.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Why would Robinson even give them a time and a place?

They threw him away like yesterdays news, the Reds gave him an opportunity and he took it.

While its just an observation, I would daresay that Beau feels some form of loyalty to the Reds for this.

not the thread for it, but beau was given a few chances at the tahs and some help, he wasnt thrown away.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good point, Daz. I feel for those who will inevitably be compared to The Ork.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I think he's such a strong leader and player that he becomes as vital to the team as say a Richie McCaw is or Martin Johnson was. This also means that without that player the team seems a completely different proposition.

It's tempting to say therefore that leader is "bad" for the team as when they aren't there the team not nearly so competitive, but the truth is these guys are just excellent leaders and any team is lucky to have them.

Well done Phil, and well done for calling it quits on your own terms. I also think it's time for the Tahs to get some new youthful fire in its belly, and this will help that be possible

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
not the thread for it, but beau was given a few chances at the tahs and some help, he wasnt thrown away.

I'd be prepared to allow the thread to drift a little if you wanted to contribute something useful here. The way Beau was treated certainly affects my impression of Waugh.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I'd be prepared to allow the thread to drift a little if you wanted to contribute something useful here. The way Beau was treated certainly affects my impression of Waugh.

sure you can read between the lines, i know a few old soles on here also know. it wasnt about waugh as much as attitude. he seems to have turned it around and good on him he has had a fantastic year.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
I know nothing about the Beau-in-NSW situation really. I'd be interested to know your take on it Scarfy?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I will always remember him for two things:-

1. His clash with David Croft V Qld a few years back and both of them telling the ref that all was good while they headed to the blood bin for some repairs before smashing each other again. Just brilliant. (Side note Croft was so under valued in Oz Rugby, he just had the misfortune to be around when Smith and Waugh also were)
2. Waugh smashing and causing harm to the cloaked one. I have always wanted to see a rematch but both have never been uninjured since really.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
The cloaked one?

Oh and agreed re: Croft. Excellent player, tough as nails. Would have had a Wallabies gig in a different period.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm a massive fan of Phil Waugh. Love the old school nature of his play. Just all out attack. One of the few modern day Aussie forwards who invests a bit of time in counter rucking. Tough as hell.

31 now is he? So he captained the Waratahs all the way back in 2001 v the British Lions correct? Fabulous effort. I remember him being interviewed afterwards, grinning madly, saying he was happy with how they team gave it to the Lions (this was the infamous Dunc McRae game).

The game, and the Tahs, will be poorer for him. And he's just stepping down right? Is he going overseas?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bit of inside mail for you boys here, Waughs father in law is quite a wealthy man, so it was never about the money for him.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I will always remember him for two things:-

1. His clash with David Croft V Qld a few years back and both of them telling the ref that all was good while they headed to the blood bin for some repairs before smashing each other again. Just brilliant. (Side note Croft was so under valued in Oz Rugby, he just had the misfortune to be around when Smith and Waugh also were)
2. Waugh smashing and causing harm to the cloaked one. I have always wanted to see a rematch but both have never been uninjured since really.

Surely you haven't forgotten the game when Waugh turned the cloaked one over on his back to prevent a try being scored? That was legendary!!!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Surely you haven't forgotten the game when Waugh turned the cloaked one over on his back to prevent a try being scored? That was legendary!!!

Not at all. 'Twas great. I particularly liked the wails of outrage from over the ditch as if Waugh did something to the Lord of Darkness, that he didn't attempt with every other openside he played.

Status
Not open for further replies.