• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Phil Waugh retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
At 12pm today, according to Ian Payten on Twitter.

He has probably timed it right, still goes out on a high. What a great servant of NSW and Australian rugby, both will miss him next year.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Dammit gotta find a new public enemy 1# hahaha. As much as I've disliked Waugh, I respect the way he has lead the Waratahs for many years. Has been a great servant too them and I wish him luck on his future.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'll be surprised if he actually throws the boots away. He still has an extraordinary passion for the game.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
fingers crossed the tahs beat the blues so he gets another game in australia and a chance at the super title.

absolute champ of a man. will be greatly missed, sure it wont be long until he is in the coaches ranks

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
when horan says to do something, you do it haha
well done to phil on a great career and i hope this spurs the tahs on to a big push in their last few games

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Good luck to him.

But why does every player have to go out on a high. Why not contribute for years to come from the bench and as a valuable squad member. With the increased games players like Waugh and Baxter, whilst not what they were could be very valuable to the tahs. They could emulate what Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes are doing for man united (as much as I hate them).

You can't build a team around these guys, but their experience can be very valuable to the younger players they are replacing.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good luck to him.

But why does every player have to go out on a high. Why not contribute for years to come from the bench and as a valuable squad member. With the increased games players like Waugh and Baxter, whilst not what they were could be very valuable to the tahs. They could emulate what Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes are doing for man united (as much as I hate them).

You can't build a team around these guys, but their experience can be very valuable to the younger players they are replacing.

I think he'll still be involved with the Waratahs even if he isn't playing for years to come. Also I think he'd probably like to keep playing but as captain he can't really be on the bench.

I think the injuries are piling up too. He has two young boys too.

Phil Waugh's just a champion. At some times he's been a pariah and an anti-hero, but I think everyone would agree he's the epitome of commitment.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He has always been one of the players I have disliked the most playing for the Tah's so that is a reflection that he has been a wonderful player for them. At Wallaby level he was great. I think the Tah's will miss him greatly as there are no standouts to take over his leadership role but I am sure he will stay involved and contribute to the team for years to come.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'll be surprised if he actually throws the boots away. He still has an extraordinary passion for the game.

I have never met the man himself but always admired him, from my ill informed point of view I too would be suprised if he threw the boots away, I alway figured he would be the type of guy who would keep playing while ever he could run, even when he is 50 and in a seniors comp. kind of like a rugby version of Greg Mathews

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
He is my favourite tah of the pro era, just ahead of burkey. If the rumours are true, I would love to see a highlights video.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Congrats on a wonderful career. My favourite memories where of Waugh and Smith battling for selection in the Wallabies. On the occasions when they were both selected, I found the wallaby games most intriguing. A highlights video should definitely include a big hit he put on John Roe who had just won a lineout for the reds, I think Roe had to leave the field and the Tahs got a scrum feed.

Duncher

Herbert Moran (7)
Gota respect any bloke willing to lead with his head the way he does... Hats off Phil on an amazing career

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Surely Tahs would be pressing to get Beau Robinson back now. He's only on an upgraded academy contract at the Reds isn't he?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Surely Tahs would be pressing to get Beau Robinson back now. He's only on an upgraded academy contract at the Reds isn't he?

Link has said the main reason they aren't trying to get Elsom is because they want to secure Beau Robinson, so he is available but Reds are set on retaining him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

McCutcheon & Alcock will provide initial cover, hopefully Hooper is available as he starts to look for a starting role for the following year

Fan of Tahs

Frank Row (1)
A man with many highlights to his name, it would be great to see a Super Trophy up there with them. Roughing up McCaw in 2006 was one of my favourites (though the vid doesn't show him breaking Sir Richie's nose). Also captaining Australia A to a win against the Lions when he was 22 isn't too bad.

[video=youtube;cacliim6DO0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cacliim6DO0[/video]

T

Tank

Phil Waugh's just a champion. At some times he's been a pariah and an anti-hero, but I think everyone would agree he's the epitome of commitment.

Hear Hear. A champion no doubt and a great servant of Australian, and particularly NSW rugby. Wish him all the best,

Status
Not open for further replies.