• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Pat McCabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
"Sarge" McCabe is starting to look like a real candidate for the spot. I didn't quite get the criticism of his game against Samoa when compared to the other backs and thought he was one of the best, albeit in an ordinary lot. He did well in his 3N debut last night too.

Sure, he's not a Kiwi 2nd 5 type, but they make sure they get the ball deeper. He's not the unique SBW type 12, nor the Giteau looking for the outside break type, nor the de Jongh stepping type. He's always going to be the type that makes sure that he gets close to the tackle line when he gets the pass.

I hope that Phil Blake gives him some work on running against the grain and giving a few golden balls at the coal face.

Carter has been mentioned in this thread, perhaps in mischief, but McCabe has more idea of what to do when he finds himself in the open.

Not to the point, but I travelled in the stadium bus with a SAffer who had just immigrated. He could not comprehend why Giteau wasn't playing. I explained the reasons why Giteau was not so highly regarded by many these days but he just shook his head in honest bewilderment.

Be that as it may, but it is good that there is another candidate to add to Giteau and Barnes. As others have mentioned: it was a fortunate stroke when Tony Rea started using Sarge at 12 in the in the last 3 rounds of Super Rugby.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I have noticed as well among a lot of NH fans that they seem to rate Gits a lot higher than a lot of us. Whether they have longer memories or just less knowledge of the alternative players I don't know but I always found it a bit funny

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
The thing I think was lacking from McCabe was in attack going it alone, it didnt look like he had the confidence there, he wanted someone else to pass to in last nights game. Also his general linkage and knowledge of his teammates didnt quite go either to me. but other than that his defence was superb. particularly in those last 20 where none of the players knew what position they where playing...he was everywhere.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
It seems to me we see different things as threats when assessing the opposition. We often focus on individuals because we are less familiar with team dynamics and how that player is fitting in. We can also tend to overlook current form imo.

W

Waylon

They need someone a bit more creative. If you want someone to bang it up in mid field, why not use "Rocky-I'm-standing-in-the-backline-all-night-anyway Elsom"
The sizzling backline misses out when the one dimensional Mccabe hits it up.
To be fair, I like his aggressive defence.
I personally think A. Fainga'a is the man. His defence is sensationsal and he has zip zip. He runs straight and has amazing acceleration. Perfect foil for Cooper.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I have noticed as well among a lot of NH fans that they seem to rate Gits a lot higher than a lot of us. Whether they have longer memories or just less knowledge of the alternative players I don't know but I always found it a bit funny

Had there been rugby forums in Campese's day it would be the same: being appreciated more up there than down here.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
They need someone a bit more creative. If you want someone to bang it up in mid field, why not use "Rocky-I'm-standing-in-the-backline-all-night-anyway Elsom"
The sizzling backline misses out when the one dimensional Mccabe hits it up.
To be fair, I like his aggressive defence.
I personally think A. Fainga'a is the man. His defence is sensationsal and he has zip zip. He runs straight and has amazing acceleration. Perfect foil for Cooper.

I would have said the opposite. McCabe offers more in attack and is faster than Fainga'a, which is why he was chosen. Fainga'a might just edge it on the tackling front, but McCabe's positional play in defense in a relatively new position seems excellent.

On your first point, the consensus seems to be that we have enough creative players. Cooper gets to choose when he wants someone to bang it up. He has the back three to choose from when he wants pizazz.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Had there been rugby forums in Campese's day it would be the same: being appreciated more up there than down here.

I think foreigners only 'see' star players from other nations. Plenty of Australians are surprised that Jonny Wilkinson isn't still turning out at ten for England, and have no idea who the replacements are.

W

Waylon

McCabe tucks it under the arm and dies with the ball
That's a real shame with the destruction outside of him. It will also be a shame against England in the RWC who will dominate us at the ruck and maul and scrum and will be grateful our fleet footed backs never see it because McCabe got nailed behind the advantage line again and didn't/could't/can't pass

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That's a real shame with the destruction outside of him. It will also be a shame against England in the RWC who will dominate us at the ruck and maul and scrum and will be grateful our fleet footed backs never see it because McCabe got nailed behind the advantage line again and didn't/could't/can't pass

I believe that argument was made of last week's effort as well, but the stats show that he is making passes and offloads. Our backline is already packed with "creative" types, if Genia, Cooper, Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) can't figure out what to do with the ball, adding another playmaker isn't going to help.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Rubbish.

We just beat the Springboks by 20 and it probably should have been 50. McCabe was directly involved in two of our five tries. Our destructive backs got plenty of ball and were at their destructive best. The opinion that he merely 'tucks it under the arm and dies with the ball' is ludicrous, and was thoroughly disproven in the last two matches.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
QC (Quade Cooper) can always utilise a cut out pass to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or one of the wingers and have McCabe as a decoy...plenty of permutations there...

W

Waylon

Rubbish.

We just beat the Springboks by 20 and it probably should have been 50. McCabe was directly involved in two of our five tries. Our destructive backs got plenty of ball and were at their destructive best. The opinion that he merely 'tucks it under the arm and dies with the ball' is ludicrous, and was thoroughly disproven in the last two matches.

The Samoa Pat McCabe "highlights" can be viewed here http://www.youtube.com/user/90ruggers?blend=5&ob=5

There was 1 big hit to open proceedings.
You will notice he rarely makes it over the advantage line by more than 1-2 meters. He made it a few times late in the game when it opened up a bit........and died with the ball.
You will count very few offloads
You will notice him head in field in the second half when the space was out side........and die with the ball
You will notice him die with the ball a lot
You will notice him get belted and lose the ball a couple of times
You will notice him miss tackles
You will notice him create nothing for the outside players

If Australia had someone who could create confusion in opposition defences and create space in midfield, the outside backs would cut a swathe through the defence.

F

Fredfreduels

The Samoa Pat McCabe "highlights" can be viewed here http://www.youtube.com/user/90ruggers?blend=5&ob=5

You will notice he rarely makes it over the advantage line by more than 1-2 meters. He made it a few times late in the game when it opened up a bit........and died with the ball.
You will notice him head in field in the second half when the space was out side........and die with the ball

If Australia had someone who could create confusion in opposition defences and create space in midfield, the outside backs would cut a swathe through the defence.

Not many people agree with you, especially those who have watched Brumbies games this year and last.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Obviously you have made up your mind that he is not a good player and no evidence would sway you. But would Ant Fainga'a really 'create confusion in opposition defences and create space in midfield'? I doubt it. Someone like Giteau or Barnes would but you lose the physicality that McCabe provides.

McCabe is not there to bedazzle opposition defensive lines and put others through holes. He is there to run hard, get the ball over the advantage line, make big hits. He did all three last night, and while he isn't a World XV player he is there to provide a solid foundation for guys like Cooper to attack from. I think your expectations of McCabe are a bit much- he can't be Tim Horan after just two games in gold FFS.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Someone like Giteau or Barnes would but you lose the physicality that McCabe provides.

Barnes is pretty bloody physical in defence. As well as McCabe played I would still bring back Barnes if he is fit.(on the assumption that JOC (James O'Connor) is going to be picked on the wing)
Equal defence plus better in attack.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

BUUUULLLLLLLSSSSHHHHHHIIIIITTTTTT...

You obviously didn't watch last nights game.

In fact, he probably passed too much last night. There were a couple of times I wish he'd gone for it.

And McCabe has been consistent in making the gain line or going past it.

This Waylon is clearly a troll.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Missed tackles?

Did he even miss a tackle?!

And if he did was it more than one?!

God damn...

Franky

Peter Burge (5)
I don't agree with your view point. He is a very good player but I just can't see him learning new skills at this stage ie passing the ball. Good luck if he is our first string at the Cup, thou if we fail at the WC it will be more evidence to bring in Ewen as coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.