• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NZ domestic competitions 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
Great to see Wellington go up to the Premiership where they belong.

Horowhenua-Kapiti vs Wanganui could be interesting today. HK have done well with the loan players they got, particularly James So'oialo.

Actually ran into a few of the HK boys at Trax (Wellington Railway Station Pub) after the Wellington Otago game. HK played Wairarapa Bush in the curtainraiser. Nice bunch of guys. Had a good chat with the coach as well who came over to have a yarn. For that reason I am supporting them today!

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
Can remember last time HK won a final (3rd division I think). Carlos Spencer was still at school (16 or 17) but photo in Dominion next day was of HK players drinking in the changing sheds and an underage Carlos Spencer chopping a Lion Brown!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^ Christian Cullen possibly would've been there too, still at high school & I don't think he was in the 22 that day but was in the squad. Dan may be able to confirm, he was probably in the room if not the photo!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No Cullen wasn't in squad I pretty sure, as I recall Cullen didn't came on the scene until a year or two later, I think he a little younger than Carlos. Not much only a year or so if I remember as I was on JAB in the Mighty Nua and seem to recall Christian just behind Carlos in age group. Mind you that if my memory serves me right. I think my son was playing 15 for Athletic 1sts against Paraparuma with Cullen on other side at senior first level, and Carlos had already gone to Auckland.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^^^^^^^^ yep, all 100 minutes of it:

Yep and loved theBOP captain at end of game saying he was so proud of his boys, had told them they had to stick with Wellington for the full 80 minutes, and then it goes for 100mins. Funny type of game I thought especially in first half, both teams looked bloody nervous and kicked a lot, then Wellington remembered the strength of their support game in 2nd half, looked like they were going to blitz BOP, and they would just not lie down!! Was very good I thought! Another reminder of why I like the comp so much!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
No Cullen wasn't in squad I pretty sure, as I recall Cullen didn't came on the scene until a year or two later, I think he a little younger than Carlos. Not much only a year or so if I remember as I was on JAB in the Mighty Nua and seem to recall Christian just behind Carlos in age group. Mind you that if my memory serves me right. I think my son was playing 15 for Athletic 1sts against Paraparuma with Cullen on other side at senior first level, and Carlos had already gone to Auckland.

Wikipedia says 1994 so I'd say you're right, possibly Cullen played Colts in '93? Anyways, hopefully Sky have sent him up the road from Westpac to do the commentary, that'd be great (provided, of course, we win :)). I'm stuck at work trying desperately to find some kinda live stream but it's not looking promising.

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
Cully was at school in 92 as I played against him that year, and I remember him making NZ schools in 1993. Think he played a year for Horowhenua in 1994 before going to Manawatu the next year if my memory serves me correctly.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Another Premiership but somehow it feels like there's a Shield-shaped hole in their season...

By geez didn't Mounga put on a display? Very impressive, actually thought young Mitch Hunt went pretty well for Tasman, and Son of Toddy still impresses me. But Canterbury were very good, and I really ebjoyed game even if I did have to wait until Foxtel showed it at 6.30 instead of live. Still again reminded me why i love the comp and game and felt a lot better after it, after that abortion of a thing from Sydney earlier.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^ watched the replay after the Prem Final & must admit I got a bit nostalgic for the good old LPD. Still can't get used to the big hole where the Council building & shops (Cornucopia etc.) used to be.

Fifth time lucky for the Cant'y women, finally lifting the Farah Palmer Cup:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ns-rugby-title-with-late-try-against-counties

Meanwhile Mid Cant'y have won the Lochore Cup 47-15 playing with 14 men from the third minute, fullback sen off for a shocker of a head-high tackle.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...id-canterbury-winning-lochore-cup-rugby-final

Was mentioned in commentary last night that it's the first time since 2003 (Auckland, of course) that the Super Rugby & NOC trophies have spent the summer in the same city. Shame they can't claim the trifecta of Super Rugby, NPC & Ranfurly Shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.