• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Waratahs v Qld Reds round 4 2009 official TYS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Some nicely confident Reds fans here. That sweetens what would otherwise be a regulation top vs bottom sort of clash.

F

formeropenside

fatprop said:
Noddy said:
ahem 2nd top vs middle thank you.

Equal 1st vs 9th

I think you will find the Bulls are ahead on for and against. If it was the end of the season, you'd be playing in a final in SA, not at wherever NSW play their home games. 2nd.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Is that when the Queensland board does its strategic reviews and the players are enjoying their extra long off season??

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the gambler said:
Is that when the Queensland board does its strategic reviews and the players are enjoying their extra long off season??

its called 'rebuilding'. ;)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ahhh bugger - Va'aulu looks to be out. We've gotta pick these prepubescent whimp to mark the most important and highly paid player in Australian Rugby.

We're screwed!

Queensland Reds rookie Blair Connor to oppose Lote Tuqiri first up

By Bernie Pramberg
March 03, 2009

Queensland Reds rookie Blair Connor is likely to face a baptism of fire opposite hulking New South Wales Waratahs winger Lote Tuqiri on Friday night.

Connor, who made a lively cameo appearance late in the Reds' 22-3 win over the Cheetahs on Sunday, is favourite to replace injured winger Brando Va'aulu for the Super 14 clash in Sydney.

Va'aulu, who would have been under pressure to hold his place after a disappointing game on Sunday, could be sidelined for a month with a groin problem.

"Blair has come right into the mix," said Reds coach Phil Mooney. "He is a high-energy player and can create things."

Exciting Reds fly half Quade Cooper stirred the pre-game pot by describing the Waratahs' style as "simple and boring" and predicted Queensland would adopt "exciting" play.

"They're very much a structured side. Our game plan is different . . . we have a lot of speed and talent out wide and if we try to unscramble them with a bit of pressure it should disrupt their style," he said.

Connor will graduate from the Reds academy later this year and has the distinction of representing Australia at under-19, under-20 and Sevens levels inside 12 months. Nicknamed "Rabbit" for his speed off the mark, Connor is a product of Nudgee College and Norths club.

At 82kg, he would concede more than 20kg to Tuqiri, who is a veteran of 67 Tests.

Reds backs coach Damon Emtage was unfazed by the prospect of the 20-year-old being named for the traditional needle match against the Waratahs.

"Blair's a kid who just likes to play rugby and has stepped up every time he's been asked. It's a big task, but we have kids across the team and they keep putting their hands up," Emtage said. "There is a selection issue for us, and Blair is obviously at the heart of that."

Cooper said Connor was a perfect fit for the Reds' style of expansive rugby.

"He's exciting and quick," Cooper said.

"Lote is one of the best in the world and a massive player. Blair's quite small, but he'll be up for a challenge."

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
formeropenside said:
I think you will find the Bulls are ahead on for and against. If it was the end of the season, you'd be playing in a final in SA, not at wherever NSW play their home games. 2nd.

fos enters the glasshouse ...

... should I continue?

F

formeropenside

Scarfman said:
formeropenside said:

fos enters the glasshouse ...

... should I continue?

Seriously, I dont know. I know its not Concord Oval, or whatever it was, but I really have no idea where the Tahs play.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
WELL IT'S NOT BLOODY LANG PARK, MATE.

of course its not. That's in QLD. They would be taking your poaching way too far.

Have fun going to Homebush to watch your team play, by the way.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
What is Lang Park? Is that a stadium somewhere in the world? Or a nice leafy park in suburbia?

There used to be a Land Park in Brisbane. The Cauldron, it used to be called. Are you getting them confused?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some nicely confident Reds fans here. That sweetens what would otherwise be a regulation top vs bottom sort of clash.

If we lose than I'd say it's an upset,the Reds are clearly the form team going into this clash & deserve to be favourites.

I expect a young whipper snapper like Blair Conner to run rings around Tuqiri who has a turning circle similar to the titanic.

Sean Hardman is the bear & Adam Freier is the rabbit & we all know what happens when they shit in the woods.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2009 Super 14 - Round 4
HSBC WARATAHS V QUEENSLAND REDS
Friday 6 March 2009 (Kick-off 7:40pm AEDT)
Sydney Football Stadium

HSBC WARATAHS
Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs), Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs), Luke Burgess (Sydney University), Will Caldwell (Sydney University), Tom Carter (Sydney University), Dave Dennis (Sydney University), Adam Freier (Randwick), Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), Rob Horne (Southern Districts), Ben Mowen (Randwick), Dean Mumm (Sydney University), Sam Norton-Knight (Northern Suburbs), Dan Palmer (Southern Districts), Wycliff Palu (Manly), Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta), Beau Robinson (Warringah), Benn Robinson (Eastwood), Brett Sheehan (Warringah), Timana Tahu (West Harbour), Chris Thomson (Warringah), Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University), Lote Tuqiri (West Harbour), Lachie Turner (Eastwood), Phil Waugh [c] (Sydney University).

fuck. we're screwed. :(

Good news for QLD is that it looks like Adam Freier will be fit :thumb. Only two hookers named in the squad. If you include TPN in that list.

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:
2009 Super 14 - Round 4
HSBC WARATAHS V QUEENSLAND REDS
Friday 6 March 2009 (Kick-off 7:40pm AEDT)
Sydney Football Stadium

HSBC WARATAHS
Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs), Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs), Luke Burgess (Sydney University), Will Caldwell (Sydney University), Tom Carter (Sydney University), Dave Dennis (Sydney University), Adam Freier (Randwick), Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), Rob Horne (Southern Districts), Ben Mowen (Randwick), Dean Mumm (Sydney University), Sam Norton-Knight (Northern Suburbs), Dan Palmer (Southern Districts), Wycliff Palu (Manly), Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta), Beau Robinson (Warringah), Benn Robinson (Eastwood), Brett Sheehan (Warringah), Timana Tahu (West Harbour), Chris Thomson (Warringah), Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University), Lote Tuqiri (West Harbour), Lachie Turner (Eastwood), Phil Waugh [c] (Sydney University).

fuck. we're screwed. :(

Good news for QLD is that it looks like Adam Freier will be fit :thumb. Only two hookers named in the squad. If you include TPN in that list.

Hopefully we can smash Robinson's knee early and then handle Superprop as best we can.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am surprised Jeremy Su'a isn't in the squad for this game with Sheehan under a cloud as well. I wonder who Dennis is covering.

F

formeropenside

For Qld, it appears that Fetoia is the likely 13 rather than Ioane, and there is some doubt over Houston, who is suffering from heat stress after the Cheetahs game.

Status
Not open for further replies.