• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
How are they looking this year CTPE?

They have some excellent backs but I don't know whether they have the forward depth plus they have a pretty ordinary draw - they get the bye first up but then are at home to Joeys, away to Riverview, at home to New and away to Shore followed by their game against Grammar and finally are away at Kings. That's a very tough draw!!!

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joeys start formal trials and training tomorrow. Many, many boys though have trained hard in the gym since September last year. Expect a different resolve this year. The new weight centre is enormous. The Western Force like it.

I can see why plenty of people have them favourites for this years premiership!!

F

Finland Fella

How can jim stewart be turning 18- it was said earlier in the thread that he was in his second year of pathways. I can't imagine that he would be 2 years younger than everyone else. Seriously, if I was told he was a twenty year old i would believe it. Secondly, if you type in taane milne on myspace it says he is 19. correct me if im wrong.....but if it were true then how is that fair to any other player who at best is 17 turning 18.

Taane Milne played Matthews Cup rugby league last season ... this is an under 16 competition

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In Orange as it happened. As much as it may seem hard to believe, I don't actually hang around here 24 hours a day. Once every six months I take the weekend off. This weekend was that weekend, what are the chances?

As has been said already, if you have an issue with something hit the 'report' button and a mod will have a look.
why the change in Avatar - wrong footed me for a while

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
I can see why plenty of people have them favourites for this years premiership!!

CTPE. The "Joeys favourites" line you mentioned seems either rather optimistic or a tad myopic. I understand they have plenty of players returning from the 1's and 2's and a good bunch of U16's coming through but calling a spade a spade they have been pretty average over the past few years and I think this is looking on the bright side! Last year's unsuccessful comeback against View was perhaps a highlight of an average 2 year period. Against Shore and Newington last year they were simply dreadful, Newington did absolutely everything to lose the game and still won by a decent margin. Joeys seem to have lacked skill and size over the past few years but to their credit this has been partly offset by great ticker, team strength and the occasional excellent player such as last years (and year before) full back.

As a neutral observer the way I see it is the more 'consistent' arrival of new talent in years 9 / 10 at rival schools and a greater appreciation of other sports at all GPS schools has PERMANENTLY leveled the playing field where really no one can claim any great favoritism so early on....

This said nothing is permanent!

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Well said providence. I don't think any of the big rugby schools are clear favourites this year. Looking forward to a very tight season.

kerser2

Bob McCowan (2)
CTPE. The "Joeys favourites" line you mentioned seems either rather optimistic or a tad myopic. I understand they have plenty of players returning from the 1's and 2's and a good bunch of U16's coming through but calling a spade a spade they have been pretty average over the past few years and I think this is looking on the bright side! Last year's unsuccessful comeback against View was perhaps a highlight of an average 2 year period. Against Shore and Newington last year they were simply dreadful, Newington did absolutely everything to lose the game and still won by a decent margin. Joeys seem to have lacked skill and size over the past few years but to their credit this has been partly offset by great ticker, team strength and the occasional excellent player such as last years (and year before) full back.

As a neutral observer the way I see it is the more 'consistent' arrival of new talent in years 9 / 10 at rival schools and a greater appreciation of other sports at all GPS schools has PERMANENTLY leveled the playing field where really no one can claim any great favoritism so early on....

you cant just pick a favourite yet, so CTPE you are right by saying nothing is permanent, im not sure why you are saying against shore we were dreadful it was one of our better games during the season.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
you cant just pick a favourite yet, so CTPE you are right by saying nothing is permanent, im not sure why you are saying against shore we were dreadful it was one of our better games during the season.

I didn't....read the post.....the contribution was from providence.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Apparently Kings have joined Joeys and Scots in commencing formal training for their First and Seconds squads this past week.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)

Myopic??? Providence you would do well to read all my posts on this thread regarding my thoughts on this years Opens comp which I think will be the most closely contested for a number of years. I agree that Joeys have been nowhere as dominant over the last 15 years as their halcyon decades prior to that but they have a number of things going for them this year....a very good draw, great depth and a very experienced squad. This particularly applies to their U16s who played at Opens level in 2011 and gives them a big advantage over teams like View, New and Kings who don't play their U16s a out of thgeir age bracket.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Myopic??? Providence you would do well to read all my posts on this thread regarding my thoughts on this years Opens comp which I think will be the most closely contested for a number of years. I agree that Joeys have been nowhere as dominant over the last 15 years as their halcyon decades prior to that but they have a number of things going for them this year....a very good draw, great depth and a very experienced squad. This particularly applies to their U16s who played at Opens level in 2011 and gives them a big advantage over teams like View, New and Kings who don't play their U16s a out of thgeir age bracket.

What is Joey's draw again CTPE?

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
CTPE, I did say a 'tad myopic' which I think is fair. If I had said 'myopic' I think i would have been wrong. Put simply at this stage I think whilst everyone has their own opinions as to which schools may do better than others I think by pining 'favoritism' on any particular team is missing the point and is instead a 'tad myopic' or jingoistic if you prefer. Either way I genuinely wasn't trying to slight you, so apologies if that is how you took it.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Either way, its good to be back on topic here lads.

Its absolutely fine for CTPE to favour Joeys this year, especcially since he has backed it up with his view on why they will win.

Personally I think View will take it, who also happen have an excellent draw this season. I think their forward pack looks menacing and I am tipping Dempsey & Rorke to be the standout GPS forwards.

Who are you tipping providence?

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Joe Mac, really does seem to be be very even this year. What a belter!

I have been very impressed by Riverview the past few years. They look like a very strong all round outfit and would have to be top 3.

Joeys as we know are coming into this year from an average period but I wouldn't want to bet against them. Their team spirit is genuinely superior to others most years IMO.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Scots prospects. If the Creighton (probably wrong spelling!) lad is anything like his father then they will be impressive, although I believe he may still be in the 16's?

Kings beating Wellington, and I know I keep going on about this, certainly also keeps them on the radar.

Newington, not sure. As many on here have said, James Godfrey is now master in charge of sport. He's an outstanding individual, who if it were not for a dodgy shoulder we may never have heard of Matt Burke! They struggled last year with injuries in key positions. The lad Lussick (very young I believe) struggled at first last year but he could be a real play maker with plenty of runners outside.

SHORE....we no one is talking about them. Have been average for a long time but won't always be!

So my pick would be Riverview. BTW I didn't go to any of these schools but just enjoy watching the games. Best rugby I've ever seen.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Joe Mac, really does seem to be be very even this year. What a belter!

I have been very impressed by Riverview the past few years. They look like a very strong all round outfit and would have to be top 3.

Joeys as we know are coming into this year from an average period but I wouldn't want to bet against them. Their team spirit is genuinely superior to others most years IMO.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Scots prospects. If the Creighton (probably wrong spelling!) lad is anything like his father then they will be impressive, although I believe he may still be in the 16's?

Kings beating Wellington, and I know I keep going on about this, certainly also keeps them on the radar.

Newington, not sure. As many on here have said, James Godfrey is now master in charge of sport. He's an outstanding individual, who if it were not for a dodgy shoulder we may never have heard of Matt Burke! They struggled last year with injuries in key positions. The lad Lussick (very young I believe) struggled at first last year but he could be a real play maker with plenty of runners outside.

SHORE....we no one is talking about them. Have been average for a long time but won't always be!

So my pick would be Riverview. BTW I didn't go to any of these schools but just enjoy watching the games. Best rugby I've ever seen.

Good stuff providence, interesting comments. You seem to know a bit about the UK system. Who is this school that whipped kings by 30+ point while they were on tour? Sounds like a pretty serious outfit.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Joe, It's called Hartpury College. Hardly really a school, more a rugby academy that sits between the state school system and a university. And they they are bloody serious!

These academies were generally created over the past 10 years I believe and seem to be doing a good job in developing the young talent that sits outside of the traditional 'private schools' over there. Historically the Private Schools over there of a similar ilk to the NSW / QLD GPS model, i.e Wellington, Harrow, St Pauls, Tonbridge, Sherbourne, Rugby, Marlborough, Radley (BTW sorry to miss any out!) etc have had very direct links / pathways to the professional RU clubs. This has not occurred so much in the state system. These academies seem to be bridging the gap.

I'm certainly no expert. U21 rugby over there has historically been regionally organised and plenty of talent used to go missing / never got recognised.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks for the info, do you think such a system could be successful to plug a similar gap in Australian rugby?

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm probably not informed enough to comment on the NSW situation. Is there a gap here? In the U.K IMO the gap historically was stark and very large. What amazes me is how many excellent 18 year old NSW GPS prospects never see the light of day 2 - 5 years later. Perhaps that tells you there is no gap, or if there is a gap it is inverted?! As I mentioned quite a way back Wellington currently has 6 - 7 ex pupils playing 6 nations. I'm not sure the same/similar could be said for any NSW GPS schools currently. Historically Joeys , SHORE, Newington or Kings (and I'm guessing the others as well) have had 1 or possibly 2 ex students playing for Australia.....but not 6 - 7 at the same time.

So on reflection either Wellington is an exception, or indeed the NSW GPS situation has a 'gap' but perhaps inverted / the other way around. QLD schools seem to provide a fair crop to the current national team don't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.