• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbynut

Frank Row (1)
I think you may be wrong with the suggestion that only two players in year ten have played 1st XV at Joeys in the entire history.... could Lee or Topo or any of the other cerise and blue tragics care to comment?

You are correct deefense. Many boys have played in year 10. Gerard Ohearn and Brian Sullivan back in the early 80s come mind. There is usually a few. The lack of year 12 depth this year at joeys, I'm told, is one of the reason although I'm also told that these two boys (curtin and deegan) may have been earmarked for some time but because they have not been playing club rugby they slip under the radar to everyone else.

G

Good rugby fan

All schools goes through periods of a not so strong year 12 it's only natural, if Joey's persist they will be stronger in the next few years. People only have to look at Newington with only 5 year 12's in their unbeaten side last year and two of those were in year 10. Good luck to any year 10 that makes the first or what ever sport it is, if your better than someone in an above year you deserve it!

Cyril Towers (30)
I think you may be wrong with the suggestion that only two players in year ten have played 1st XV at Joeys in the entire history.... could Lee or Topo or any of the other cerise and blue tragics care to comment?

There have been more than 2, for sure, but it is not common. In my time (78) there was Matt Wurth, an inside centre who played the whole season in year 10. Played league for Wests when he left school but didn't go too far. Man, could that guy tackle! There was a breakaway called Mal Irvine who I am pretty sure played in year 10 (he was the size of a house even at that age and the best fighter in the school, although Pat O'Brien would probably argue with that) and I'm also pretty sure Steve Williams (he was the size of a block of flats) did as well. It's the sort of thing that happens only a couple of times a decade. As Uni are playing on a Sunday this week I am going to try to get to the Joeys v New game on Saturday. Haven't seen the boys play for a couple of years, so I am really looking forward to seeing how they go against last year's premiers.

R

rugby5

Dermo i havent seen any of the joeys games due to work commitments but from what i hear the year 10 pups seem to be running around nicely? my mate who did watch the Kings game however said Deegan took a nasty knock to the head making his head look abnormally large from swelling, i dont know if hes having a lend of me or if this is true?

Deegans head is really big naturally, he did not take a knock to the head.

M

mkidd

any words on sandell ( yr 10) playing number 1 for joeys 1st XV coming up form the 2s this weekend against new front row. any words from joeys critics ????

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I thought he was a THP but with the laws they use in schools rugby, it doesn't signify a lot which side of the scrum a prop plays on.

Sandell hasn't taken my eye in the Twos but the LHP Robertson has. He played in both Ones and Twos last week and was outstanding around the park.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
mkidd, I'm not a Joeys critic as per your request but from all suggestions it would seem the New forwards may be a tad too strong again this year. Their front row apparently weighs in at just over 315 kg....that's more like a Waratah front row. Uncontested scrums this weekend at Stanmore.....I could see that happening. Last week though the whole New team looked quite disorganised but were simply too strong for SHORE. New may have several of their key players back this week, paricularly their outside cente, Roods, who incidently didn't I believe play in Year 10 only due to injury.(did play last year)
I'm not expecting the NEW Joeys game to really tell us too much to be frank. Whilst either Joeys or NEW may have a good or indifferent weekend this weekend, in 2 weeks time I think the focus will be on the two main challengers, i.e RIV and NEW.
I have a sneaky feeling that Riverview may actually be as strong as new. We can't forget how irreplaceable boys like Roach, Bannon and Luani are to new. As an independent I am off to watch the Riverview game this weekend and will await match reports from Stanmore that speak of uncontested scrums, plenty of Joeys guts and perhaps a closer game than some expect!

M

mkidd

I thought he was a THP but with the laws they use in schools rugby, it doesn't signify a lot which side of the scrum a prop plays on.

Sandell hasn't taken my eye in the Twos but the LHP Robertson has. He played in both Ones and Twos last week and was outstanding around the park.
yes sandell is in for this weekend because hall is injured sorry i forgot to add that in

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
There have been more than 2, for sure, but it is not common. In my time (78) there was Matt Wurth, an inside centre who played the whole season in year 10. Played league for Wests when he left school but didn't go too far. Man, could that guy tackle! There was a breakaway called Mal Irvine who I am pretty sure played in year 10 (he was the size of a house even at that age and the best fighter in the school, although Pat O'Brien would probably argue with that) and I'm also pretty sure Steve Williams (he was the size of a block of flats) did as well. It's the sort of thing that happens only a couple of times a decade. As Uni are playing on a Sunday this week I am going to try to get to the Joeys v New game on Saturday. Haven't seen the boys play for a couple of years, so I am really looking forward to seeing how they go against last year's premiers.

Ron (?) Renete in the early 80s is another example, got picked in the GPS 1sts as a THP whilst still in year 10...

U

unclechester

Yes there have no doubt been many instances of Year 10s playing 1s at Joeys, but not in the same numbers as this year as far as i can gather.
A major factor is the poor quality of rugby players in their senior class. I think it's safe to say that very few, if not zero of these pups would have made opens were this 2005, 2006, 2007 or any other decent senior class of rugby players.

M

mkidd

mkidd, I'm not a Joeys critic as per your request but from all suggestions it would seem the New forwards may be a tad too strong again this year. Their front row apparently weighs in at just over 315 kg....that's more like a Waratah front row. Uncontested scrums this weekend at Stanmore.....I could see that happening.
uncontested scrums this weekend? i couldnt really see that happening even though new have a large and strong scrum when was the last time there was uncontestant scrums in 1st XV level? i have never seen it before.

L

Little Rugrat

He might be strong for a Yr 10 but he's playing against Yr 12s... and some of them are ridiculously strong, and significantly bigger.]
Pennisi may not match up to the kings big pack... but joeys dont have that many backrow options
and he is sure one of the toughest in the joeys pack

M

mkidd

Yes there have no doubt been many instances of Year 10s playing 1s at Joeys, but not in the same numbers as this year as far as i can gather.
A major factor is the poor quality of rugby players in their senior class. I think it's safe to say that very few, if not zero of these pups would have made opens were this 2005, 2006, 2007 or any other decent senior class of rugby players.
kurtley beale did it?

B

bighughie

Everyone is using the weak senior year as an excuse for year 10 boys playing in the opens, The weak senior year aided in them being trialled in the opens but the boys are all very talented players and worked very hard to play at this level of footy.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm only gently suggesting it mkidd, but those new forwards are not small and safety these days does seem to rank highly with refs (I haven't been around GPS rugby long enough to know of similar situations). I thought the SHORE forwards were quite organised and despite this were still reversing at a fast walking speed. By all accounts the Joeys scrum may be smaller than SHORE's....although I would challenge any team to find a smaller hooker!

Isn't there an old rule about GPS scrums only being allowed to move 1 or 1.5 m? Can anyone throw any light on this?

Also the new boy, I think his name was Oscar Lee P or something, seems at the centre of everything in the forwards and he went off with 15 to play with what looked like a thigh injury? Anyone know? He looked VERY useful, had red headgear.
As I say I'm not sure one can read too much into the new Joeys game this weekend. Everyone here seems to be talking about the Joeys backs....alll sounds great but you need to get the ball first! I wouldn't have thought the new boys will be kicking to the Joeys 15! He looks sensational. Of note perhaps the new kicking game last week was poor and I thought the new fullback was average at best.

S

sick_kent

Everyone is using the weak senior year as an excuse for year 10 boys playing in the opens, The weak senior year aided in them being trialled in the opens but the boys are all very talented players and worked very hard to play at this level of footy.

i don't doubt that they have worked hard however the point still stands that with a more talented senior year, those boys probably wouldn't be there.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
With all this talk about Joeys and their 16 year olds playing First XV and being either strong enough, or not (whichever angle you are taking), just thought I'd mention that New are apparently playing 4, possibly 5, 16s in firsts this weekend. Not sure whether that tells you that New don't rate Joeys much, or whether these New boys are as up to the task as their Joeys counterparts apparently are, but it does mean that the sides should be fairly balanced in terms of having a mix of young uns and old uns.

B

bighughie

i don't doubt that they have worked hard however the point still stands that with a more talented senior year, those boys probably wouldn't be there.

Why use that as an excuse to downtalk the players who have worked hard to acheive their goals

S

sick_kent

With all this talk about Joeys and their 16 year olds playing First XV and being either strong enough, or not (whichever angle you are taking), just thought I'd mention that New are apparently playing 4, possibly 5, 16s in firsts this weekend. Not sure whether that tells you that New don't rate Joeys much, or whether these New boys are as up to the task as their Joeys counterparts apparently are, but it does mean that the sides should be fairly balanced in terms of having a mix of young uns and old uns.

are you aware what positions they are playing this saturday (that is the 4 to 5 newington boys in the firsts)?

Status
Not open for further replies.