• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baldingwingforward

Tips/ match previews?

View vs Kings - View to win by 15+ (Great clash between Wells and Vilmaa)
New vs Joeys - New to win by 15-20 (If New finally get their full side on the field it could be bigger...)
Scots vs Shore - Scots to bounce back in a tight one and win by 3-7 (Walters and Miller proving the difference)

Anyone know who Grammar are playing against?

I

International Badboy

Haven't been to any games thus far but how are the 16s shaping up for joeys eg Curtin, Pennisi, Deegan. understand all are skillfull but how are they coping with the physical side of things?

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Haven't been to any games thus far but how are the 16s shaping up for joeys eg Curtin, Pennisi, Deegan. understand all are skillfull but how are they coping with the physical side of things?
They are all in the 1's this weekend and deegan is coping very will he made heaps of tackles last weekend against kings where the forwards ran at him all day, pennisi works very hard in the rucks and also tackles well, Curtain plays like a second 5/8 the way he works with forwards around the rucks

S

sick_kent

They are all in the 1's this weekend and deegan is coping very will he made heaps of tackles last weekend against kings where the forwards ran at him all day, pennisi works very hard in the rucks and also tackles well, Curtain plays like a second 5/8 the way he works with forwards around the rucks

I do have to disagree dermo,
Deegan was constantly targeted by bigger and stronger players on the weekend which will eventually end up with him getting injured. As to Pennisi, his work around the rucks is lacking and he was a little underperforming for all the hype that has been surrounding him. As with Curtain, he is injured. Concussion i believe and this is most likely the fate to which Deegan will eventually become a victim, being demolished by larger and stronger opponents resulting in injuries which may have a permanent effect.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Deegan was constantly targeted by bigger and stronger players on the weekend which will eventually end up with him getting injured. As to Pennisi, his work around the rucks is lacking and he was a little underperforming for all the hype that has been surrounding him. As with Curtain, he is injured. Concussion i believe and this is most likely the fate to which Deegan will eventually become a victim, being demolished by larger and stronger opponents resulting in injuries which may have a permanent effect.

Why do Joeys persist in playing U16 boys in Opens rugby when they may not be physically mature enough, particularly forwards? My experience is that, barring for the odd exception, most boys are not capable of doing the serious weight work necessary to develop a strong frame until thay reach 16. It takes a good solid 10-12 months weight programme at that level to prepare them for Opens footy.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Where are the games being played?

1. Newington v Joeys at Stanmore
2. Shore v Scots at Northbridge
3. View v Kings at Riverview
4. Grammar V St Pats at Strathfield
5. High v No idea?

Might wander up to the View v King's game.. should be an interesting contest.

M

mkidd

the reason why the u 16 age group is playing in the opens is because the current year 12 are not a strong year group when it comes to rugby or any other sport, so intern the boys from year 11 and better players from year 10 such as deegan and pennisi and i beleive pennisi played quite well he made it to nearly all the breakdowns and rucks.

B

baldingwingforward

i beleive pennisi played quite well he made it to nearly all the breakdowns and rucks.

Getting to every breakdown doesn't mean that he played well. A good 7 should be at a lot of the breakdowns - that is a pre requisite... What did he do when he got there? Or is he not strong enough to actually do anything effective? 7 is one of or probably the most combative position on the field. He will get a good test this weekend against Baldwin, and then another the following week against Wells and Dempsey, then you will know if he is good enough to play as an U16 at this level.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Curtain was injured with concussion but he is back this weekend and having watched deegan play for many a year he is quite tough for his age

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Getting to every breakdown doesn't mean that he played well. A good 7 should be at a lot of the breakdowns - that is a pre requisite... What did he do when he got there? Or is he not strong enough to actually do anything effective? 7 is one of or probably the most combative position on the field. He will get a good test this weekend against Baldwin, and then another the following week against Wells and Dempsey, then you will know if he is good enough to play as an U16 at this level.
Dont doubt his strength he is quite possibly the strongest year 10 ive ever seen

B

baldingwingforward

Dont doubt his strength he is quite possibly the strongest year 10 ive ever seen

He might be strong for a Yr 10 but he's playing against Yr 12s... and some of them are ridiculously strong, and significantly bigger. I'm not saying he's no good - i'm just saying that to survive in the backrow as an U16 at 7 in particular, i reckon you have to be pretty special. The backs is a different story. I'm looking forward to seeing these Joeys pups play.

M

mkidd

i do agree with you dermo, pennisi is quite strong. and i want implying that getting to every ruck meant he played well.... were you at the game is doesnt sound like it he did commit to the breakdowns and clearly made clean ball for kay, i wouldnt doubt pennisi's strength, we will see if he is good enough to face baldwin this week.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
who is new missing ???? any tongans or imports which i should call them
As we've been making clear in the QLD GPS 2011 thread, any posts regarding imports must be in the scholarships thread.

Further mentions of imports or scholarships in this thread and we'll be reaching for the pocket. The standard ban at G&GR is 2 weeks.

I

International Badboy

Dermo i havent seen any of the joeys games due to work commitments but from what i hear the year 10 pups seem to be running around nicely? my mate who did watch the Kings game however said Deegan took a nasty knock to the head making his head look abnormally large from swelling, i dont know if hes having a lend of me or if this is true?

D

deefence

Firstly joeys dont persist with putting U16 players in the opens. there have really only been two players in the history of st josephs rugby that were in the 1st rugby in yr 10 they were kurtley beale and darren junne with the latter only playing 3 games and you need 4 games to be counted in the team. secondly these boys are there because the yr 12 this year is not particularly strong in the rugby area so these boys have all been given the chance and none are strugling at the level they are currently at wheather it be 1st or 2nds

I think you may be wrong with the suggestion that only two players in year ten have played 1st XV at Joeys in the entire history.... could Lee or Topo or any of the other cerise and blue tragics care to comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.