• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I personally don't care about scholarships. I just wish Grammar would offer some - they could still be the top academic school with the right selections. Giving boys hopefully a better education and advancing their sporting talents is perfectly reasonable. Grammar's near-sightedness is frustrating.

M

mostlikely

Of course it is, I was merely making a point in saying that if people are complaining about newington's scholarships now, then why have they not been complaining all season about King's having scholarships. It seems to me that King's expects to win a bit too much.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
You can't tell me that plays such as ben volavola and apo etc have been at the school since year 7.

Apo was plucked from the NSW schools and NTS ranks at the end of year 10 when he and his parents were approached at Nudgee after the under 16 nationals. He had no prior relationship with Newington. From memory Volavola was at a State school as well and got the same offer, but I might be wrong

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You can't tell me that plays such as ben volavola and apo etc have been at the school since year 7.

Apo was plucked from the NSW schools and NTS ranks at the end of year 10 when he and his parents were approached at Nudgee after the under 16 nationals. He had no prior relationship with Newington. From memory Volavola was at a State school as well and got the same offer, but I might be wrong

When has anyone ever said they were at the school since year 7. Why are you pressing an argument when no one is against you? As far as I'm aware, only the two props, Luani and Apo from the 1st XV have not attended the school since year 7. That's only 4 players, and I'm pretty sure the two props have been there since Year 8 and Year 9, Luani 10 and Apo 11. Newington's success this year is off the back of their strong Year 11 group of players who were successful from the 13-15 age group, even finishing one or two years undefeated. Next year they will be quite strong as well, with the two props, a lock and both flankers back from an already impressive front row unit. Add in the fly-half, outside centre and two wingers.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Am I on GREEN and Gold or on Sportal. These are the same arguements and reasonings that were discussed endlessly there and possibly led to that forum being shut down. Don't care where the players come from so long as schools rugby is strong with the best available playing each other, the boys enjoy themselves and take pride in the school they ared representing and the school community that they represent are proud of them.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
I agree about the scholarship argument- it can get tedious and go in circles. However, if I was to give you my four best players yesterday from Newington it would be 1,3,8 and 12. When I found out they were new boys on scholarships my heart sank just a little bit. Whilst I know all the arguments for scholarships and I am certainly not having a go at the boys themselves it is still a bit disappointing to find out the star players aren't Newington born and bred so to speak.
-------

The boys on scholarship can't afford to go to Newington from year 7 and having the scolarship is a blessing to take. They take the opportunity as a blessing and they gave their best as a response to Newington Old Boys compassion.

T

The Blindside

When has anyone ever said they were at the school since year 7. Why are you pressing an argument when no one is against you? As far as I'm aware, only the two props, Luani and Apo from the 1st XV have not attended the school since year 7. That's only 4 players, and I'm pretty sure the two props have been there since Year 8 and Year 9, Luani 10 and Apo 11. Newington's success this year is off the back of their strong Year 11 group of players who were successful from the 13-15 age group, even finishing one or two years undefeated. Next year they will be quite strong as well, with the two props, a lock and both flankers back from an already impressive front row unit. Add in the fly-half, outside centre and two wingers.

Joel Luani is the son and nephew of Newington Old Boys who were both GPS rugby reps back in the 1970's. Both props have been there for a few years, one had an older brother at the school. The racists who see a black face in a football team and immediately cry "import" need to have a good look at themselves. Every GPS school has talented rugby players on scholarship - just as they have smart kids and talented musicians on scholarship. Should we have a rule that only talented rugby players with rich parents can go to a GPS school ?? Or do we only give scholarships out to boys who aren't good at sport ??

T

The Blindside

As well as those 9 players there are 5 Newington boys in the NSW 16s - and not a Tongan amongst them.

C

Cando

Am I on GREEN and Gold or on Sportal. These are the same arguements and reasonings that were discussed endlessly there and possibly led to that forum being shut down. Don't care where the players come from so long as schools rugby is strong with the best available playing each other, the boys enjoy themselves and take pride in the school they ared representing and the school community that they represent are proud of them.

Hear Hear, and well said that man.

F

ftb

Just so we are all clear
Boyd Killingworth- Kings scholarship
Benn Melrose- Kings scholarship
Tom Connor- Kings Scholarship
Ed Wylie- Kings Scholarship
im not sure guy millar may also be on a scholarship

mate you must be joking if you think this is correct.
Killingworth - not on a scholarship
Benn Melrose - 70% academic scholarship (as he is the top academic in the king's school)
Tom Connor - 50% scholarship
Ed Wylie - Not on a scholarship - been at the school since year 7
Guy Millar - not on a scholarship

get your facts right

T

Thismybrotha

Where are all these Newington suporters coming from? Only jump on the bandwagon when your school is winning?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
OK guys, the points have been made, we all know the arguments. Let's can it on the scholarship talk and get back to the rugby.

Can Newington beat Riverview? Certainly, but they are in unchartered waters now. Be interesting to see how the pressure takes its toll. It is a pretty simple equation- win this week and get at least a share of the title, lose and set up a decider with Joeys (providing they beat Shore). Their fate is in their own hands though.

C

Cando

OK guys, the points have been made, we all know the arguments. Let's can it on the scholarship talk and get back to the rugby.

Can Newington beat Riverview? Certainly, but they are in unchartered waters now. Be interesting to see how the pressure takes its toll. It is a pretty simple equation- win this week and get at least a share of the title, lose and set up a decider with Joeys (providing they beat Shore). Their fate is in their own hands though.

New play Joeys this week. If Joeys win, New play Riverview to try and secure a joint premiership with Joeys by winning. If New can best Joeys, then they are premiers alone.

T

Thismybrotha

Or New can lose to Joeys and View, Joeys lose to Shore and Shore and Scots lose to Kings and its a 4 way premiership.

I want this to happen. Has this ever happened? I want to see it happen....

observer

Tom Lawton (22)

get your facts right

I know Wylie's old man, he's the local vet from Scone and let me tell you he is paying the full freight (he told me) and he's been there since year 7.

O

oldboy

Killingworth - not on a scholarship
Benn Melrose - 70% academic scholarship (as he is the top academic in the king's school)
Tom Connor - 50% scholarship
Guy Millar - not on a scholarship

get your facts right

Any of this is heresay, theres no evidence to back up what I said or what you have said, so why bother.
The simple fact is that Killingworth, Miller, McCormack, Connor, Horne, Kent all did not go to kings from year 7 and are some of the best players in the team
There is no point arguing that Newington has brought in heaps of players when Kings have done the same
You are just bitter unfortunately
Also I am not supporting either side I am totally impartial
I'm just pointing out that both sides have players that are not home grown, not just Newington

Status
Not open for further replies.