• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
There was one thing I forgot to mention and that was the newington rolling maul. It was very effective. It neutralized the scrounging of the grammar 6, 7 and 8, all of whom looked as though they had gone a few rounds with a prizefighter at the end of the game. In my opinion, the newington maul poses a real threat to kings.
PS perhaps I should have used the word tentative to describe the outside backs defence rather than a lack of courage. There just seemed to be a difference between the forwards and backs in tackling technique and willingness to hit hard.

C

catchpole

Spewn,

How is the Newington No.9 playing post representative season? Some believe that he is not truly a halfback, however he can be a truly damaging runner from the scrumbase or in general play providing momentum for his big forwards and No.12.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Catchpole,

Perhaps not the best game to gauge his progress because of how dominant Newington was over Grammar. Two things stood out to me. The first was how accurate his passing was. He hit the mark most of the time, enabling MacDonald to stand deep and wide. He delivered quickly as well. He had reasonable vision either side of the breakdown and made good selections with his ball runners. The other thing I noticed was that a couple of times, Graham, the Grammar openside, blocked his pass to MacDonald, forcing him to dart the other way. I felt he ran away from his support in this situation. I think he could improve his own running options. Overall, I would describe his game as good and solid. His superior passing being the highlight. It enabled Apo or MacDonald to have plenty of time to pop a short ball to a rampaging Roods or Roye up the guts.

C

catchpole

Spewn,

Thanks for the accurate and impartial update. I hope to attend the TKS v. Newington match this weekend which should be a beauty.

Newington are very fortunate in having three quality backs that are in year 11, MacDonald, Roods and Roye. I also believe from other members of G & G rugby that New have some young forwards as well. So they can rightfully look forward to another good year next season.

TKS on the otherhand will be commencing with a largely new team next year as this current squad are almost exclusively year 12.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Bannon is really quick, he is good at sniping and asking questions of the opposition defence, which buys his outside backs more time. He is technically sound in defence. From what I've heard the one piece of his game he could improve is his communication, that is letting his team mates know what he's up to. Nice kid too.

C

catchpole

Thank you. His sniping is what impressed me in the Trial matches that I saw.

M

magpie52

15A Riverview won. 2 tries to 1 (sorry not sure on conversions) in a mud bath. Kings led, but Riverview were more enthusiastic in the 2nd half

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't wait for Kings/Newington. It's gunna be one of the greats and could decide the premiership winner there. Joeys/Riverview is going to be big as well. Probably the most important round is this week.

T

Thismybrotha

Kings to beat Newington by a mere 1 point thanks to a last minute try/penalty
Riverview to beat Joeys by 10+ points
Grammar to cause an upset and beat Shore

I've got a feeling

P

pitbull

Going to be close between kings and newington, both are pretty evenly matched. I think the exclusion of wylie will help newington, and they have an arguably stronger centre pairing. Definitely going to come down to the wire. New by less than 5
View/Joeys will be another close one, with the winner staying in the comp. Taking a stab in the dark, but view by about 7
Shore to beat Grammar. Shore were decent against newington, who flogged grammar, but then again have the same problem as grammar do: an inspiring forward pack, but backs that lack size and dominance. Shore by 10

O

oldboy

Went and had a look at the Kigns Newington game
Unbelievable game, went down the wire and was one of the best schoolboys games i've seen in a long time.
Newington 26 Kings 25
Kings kicking and defence was very good
Newington was down 25-14 with 10 minutes to go and 2 quick tries managed to get them over the line
Newington's rucks were very good and Apo and Roods had excellent games

P

pitbull

Amazing game between Kings and Newington...It appears that the title will be decided next weekend at Stanmore.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Joeys 30 View 27 [Half time 20-15]

It was a great game and you couldn't pick the winner until the final bell. The lead changed 7 times and that's not counting twice when it became tied. Joeys scored 5 tries to 4 but that didn't signify a lot. I felt empathy for the View lads as neither team deserved to lose that game. With 6 boys back next year (plus another 7 from the Twos) View should have a top team in 2011 and they will be looking for revenge.

A lot of the tries were scored from turnover ball and a couple were punishments of bad kicks. The teams were a mirror image of each other: blue heeler, hard tackling forwards and backs willing to get the ball out wide. Joeys found themselves defending with 2 against 4 in the backline too many times, as they did against Kings, but they scrambled well most of the time and snuffed them out.

There were some well constructed back moves from both teams but they often wanted a better thrown pass to complete a move. Ironically the long passing game of the teams was better than the short passing. A few times I had to blink as 10. Dillon Walford launched wide attacks from long balls on the money as though from Bernie Larkham. He also dodged and weaved for breaks, but often carrying the ball like a bunch of flowers and dropping it – or getting isolated. That's Dill: what you see is what you get.

His mate from Walgett, 12. Ashby, had another top game and it's a pity that he didn't have his current form earlier in the season as he looks like a rep player now. He ran through gaps that weren't really there and tackled like a demon. A third indigenous lad, 14. Buchanan, had a fine game as did 11. Hulme and 15 Le Lievre.

For View 9. Donlan played well and gave a nice bridge pass for the 1st View try, but I felt that he should have sniped a bit more to mix up the attack. 11. Whiteley also look dangerous and hooker Weeks was a goer. But the best visitor to Hunters Hill was 13. Barry, who ripped holes in the Joeys backline and had he had more sympathetic support a couple of times View would have won.

With Kings going down today again, Joeys will be playing for equal leadership next week against unbeaten Newington at Stanmore. They could do it too as they have improved a lot. This is not the same Joeys team who went down to Scots in Rd.1, because their last two games have been tough and it's brought the best out of them. Then in the final round they play Shore.

Other results (all for Joeys wins):

15A 13-0
16A 21-10
4ths 22-12
3rds 22-7
2nds 15-5

There was a lot of good rugby from both sides in the last 3 listed games.

PS – Somebody at the ground who sounded like he knew what he was talking about said there will be two rounds in the GPS next year. I'd like to see that.

PPS – The View old boys disgraced themselves in 2009, and in 2010 they had the police running over to their area behind the southern goal posts. I know they weren't Joeys Old boys because they cheered when the View goal kicker got the last conversion over late in the game and View went ahead 27-25.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Well done to the Joeys 13th XV - that is indeed huge. I hear they have a fine, fine coach. Any idea who he is??

O

ohhhhh

grammar absolutely robbed of an upset by two woeful refereeing decisions. Two blatant tries not rewarded to let shore sneak away with an unconvincing and undeserved victory, 20-14.

Status
Not open for further replies.