• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2025

Rudderless

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Whilst SBH gets a bad wrap on this forum, they are achieving in other Winter sports.

AAGPS SPORTS UPDATE

The AAGPS Chairman Mr Mark Ticehurst, and Executive Officer Mr Nigel Price, in
consultation with the GPS Headmasters’ Standing Committee, wish to provide the
following update regarding AAGPS sporting programmes in 2024:
2024 Winter Competitions
Congratulations are extended to the following Premiership winning teams and
schools:

Cross Country
Open: The Scots College
U16: The King’s School
U14: The Scots College

Football
1st XI: Sydney Boys High School
2nd XI: Sydney Grammar School

Rifle Shooting
1st Grade: Sydney Grammar School (Champions)
2nd Grade: The King’s School

Rugby
1st XV: Shore
2nd XV: The Scots College
3rd XV: Shore

Volleyball
1st Grade: Sydney Boys High School & The Scots College (Joint Premiers)
2nd Grade: Sydney Boys High School

Last edited:

Rudderless

Phil Hardcastle (33)
AAGPS SPORTS UPDATE

128th AAGPS Athletics Championships

The 128th AAGPS Athletics Championships will be held on Saturday 21 September
2024 at Sydney Olympic Park Athletics Centre.
Please see below for initial event
information.

Start & Finish Times:
Events commence at 9.15am.
Events conclude at 3.10pm, with presentations at 3.20pm

Tickets and Entry:
All parents and other general spectators are required to purchase a ticket via
“Ticketebo” on the following link - 128th AAGPS Athletics Championships
(ticketebo.com.au) and tickets are to be shown upon entry. Tickets are $30p.p for
adults (18+) which includes an event program. Children (Under 18) are free however
tickets must also be purchased.

Event Merchandise:
Event merchandise is now available for pre-purchase to be shipped or to be
collected on the day on the following link - AAGPS Athletics Championships
(paladin.sport).
All remaining stock will be available for sale on the day by AAGPS partner provider
Paladin Sports. The stall will be adjacent to the main entrance.

Parking:
Due to the Bledisloe Cup Test match between Australia and New Zealand
commencing at 3.45pm at the adjacent Accor Stadium, the pre-purchasing of parking
has been advised on the following link with increased traffic in the prescient
expected on the day CarParkBooking (nsw.gov.au). (P3 and P4 recommended for
ease of egress).
Tickets can be validated for P1-P4 at the Athletic Centre reception for a flat rate of
$22 on the day.

Ticket Offer:
Rugby Australia has provided a special ticket offer for all AAGPS schools and
communities wishing to proceed to the Bledisloe Cup Test Match following the
completion of the Championships. Please click here to access this offer

The AAGPS wishes all competitors and schools the best of luck for a successful
Athletics season culminating in the 128th Championships on 21 September.

Last edited:

Joker

Staff member
Hope not. This year was good but when there is an uneven competition it is a long season for one school.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm with you, Joker, 10 rounds for the current lot at Riverview seems a big ask. It's going to be difficult to include them in the Thirds comp with Grammar and High, how are all the lower teams at View going to get a game? Those who draw up the competition are going to have to do some very imaginative scheduling.

Can we convince Newington's Thirds to take View's spot in the Firsts draw?

TheMaulester

Ted Fahey (11)
Talks of a possible match up between Barker and Shore. Thoughts?
I've talked to a member of Barker staff about this. Barker too recognises the potential for a GPS Winner vs CAS winner match, but in that staff members words 'I don't think either team who won their competition wants to finish a successful season knowing they weren't the best team out of all the teams they played against. That game would make one team feel even better about their season knowing they were the outright best across both associates, but somewhat spoil the season for one team' (the team that loses that match). Considering Riverview beat Barker 1sts in a trial game, and Riverview came last this year on the GPS ladder, I think there isn't enough justification for this match in how crucial it is in determining the better team out of the two premiership winners, and also which competition consists of better teams. This game just isn't really needed. You can look at previous years when GPS winners play CAS winners in trial matches to determine the best team in NSW, just look at Barker 2018, they beat Kings and joeys in the trials (who were the joint GPS premiers that year).
Having been involved with Cliffy Palau way back in his Manly Colts days - to my knowledge he never went to Newington or any other GPS school for that matter. He in fact went to Balgowlah Boys' High School (my old school). :)
In that case then Le Maitre can take the position at 8 in my all time GPS team list. I believe he played no.8 for a couple games in 2023 and 2022, so he slots in nicely.
100% its like having to play a grand final every game. If you beat one team you have to beat them again especially for the young years trying to go undefeated for the pennants. Must change back to the old days.
Funny you say that. During the single round competition era people were pushing for the return of a 2 round comp, as the single round competition meant no room for error, and teams that lost 1 game would often lose motivation and incentive to play as they had really no chance of winning the premiership, as they weren't going to play a rematch against the team they lost to, which that would give a much greater chance for premiership contention. An example of this is the Shore basketball 1sts of 2019, which was an exceptional team and one of the best in a long time, to which they had a chance to win the premiership that year if they beat the other major contender, Riverview. They played what was a 'grand final premiership decider' match in the 2nd game of the single round comp, which they just lost, which ultimately meant that Shore really had no chance of winning the premiership that year, as Riverview would beat every other team to continue their premiership run, as Riverview knew they had no room for error (losses) if they wanted to win the premiership. So knowing this, that Shore team lost motivation as they had really no chance of winning the premiership in that single round comp and were gutted by how losing 1 game meant their premiership hopes were practically over in what was the schools best chance in a long time. This lack of motivation was mainly the reason why they got upset by High and Kings, who Riverview beat comfortably, which if Shore played as best as they could, they too would of likely beat High and kings as well as Shore only lost to Riverview by 3 points.

Just a side note: That Shore vs Riverview game I think is the greatest game of GPS basketball ever (here is the link to the footage of that game -
or the condensed game
). Anyone got suggestions for what is the best GPS rugby game ever. My suggestion would be Kings vs Shore in 1997, which 17 000 people were in attendance to the game at Northbridge. That game too was a premiership decider, which was Phil Waugh's final game as a schoolboy, which he got so close to winning the premiership, after being in the 1sts for 3 years.