• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Syd

Allen Oxlade (6)
it warms my heart to see grammar boys make the gps squads, will we see a return of greatness from grammar rugby?
Unlikely, the ‘industry’ required to put a competitive team together is significant these days. Suspect they’ll be happy coming 1st year on year with HSC results, and good on them. That said good to see some of the boys get representative honours.

Syd

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ok, genuine question….. what’s better for the player and/or future Rugby Australia:
1. Making the best u16s play u16s and getting used to being dominant/enjoying success
2. Making the best u16s play up early and being less dominant/experiencing struggle
??
Getting more rugby played in public schools and a regular game on free to air.

Warwick Wilson

Peter Burge (5)
Found this clip of the 1984 Joey's first XV in the prime of the golden age of GPS glory. Lucky enough to know some of the fellas in this squad very well Mark Malloy and Paul Tonkin. Great time to be a Joeys schoolboy!
-John
I am nor a joeys or a kings old boy but I have watched a few games from this blokes YT channel. Great vision.

Getting more rugby played in public schools and a regular game on free to air.
A truly intrigiung discussion, here is my view.

If a young player is 'forced' into opens too early (year 10 for example), they can often plateau after that year and will regress as the years go on.

A great example is Dominic Easy (OR 2018), who was a touted young schoolboy that has gone on to play Gordon 2nd grade ever since he graduated.

ruckncoke89

Bob McCowan (2)
Just heard some news from a quality source. Sydney uni is having meetings with boys in the U15s I'm assuming it is regarding how they can become a part of the Sydney uni pathways so they are only worth 1 point in colts regardless of their achievements in rep footy and I'm sure bribing the young boys with a few scholarship options for university or collage.

I'd love to hear some opinions on this matter, is the smart from uni or a little OTT.

cheers, RNC

The Cleaner

Ward Prentice (10)
****Thinking out loud****
I remember a time when Australian Rugby players were EDUCATED. They spoke eloquently when fronting the media. Some were lawyers, doctors. I don't know about you but that 'quality' in recent players has diminished in my opinion. We lack rugby players with brains now.

Point is, we need to remind School Rugby Players not only perform on the field but also pay attention in the classroom.

Ethanator

Bob McCowan (2)
Dominic was in my year, I feel the same way. Although he was a great player when we graduated all the other boys caught up to his skill. And size some say

JuiceJohn6

Banned
I think it's more about how hard it is to choose the right type of player at a younger age. This is much harder as there is always gone be those massive boys in younger years who stop growing and suddenly the rest of the pack catches up. Joseph Sua'ali'i for example was playing kings 1sts at 14 and even though he was prevented from later on due to league commitment, it is clear he had that dog in him.

Cauliflower Ear

Frank Nicholson (4)
I feel as though the subject needs to be changed. Let's discuss which school has the best canteen:

1. Shore (north shore mums make great meat pies)
2. Joeys (convenient canteen location)
3. View (great BBQ, and a canteen)
4. Newington (solid BBQ)
5. Kings (average at best)
6. Scots (i mean seriously)

Thoughts? Perhaps a comment from a schoolboy infesting this forum (Mr Shadforth)

Cheers,

B Sull
Can't decipher whether this is a serious list or not, however, it is a breath of fresh air from the bombardment of "View 2025 line-ups". This is my list based on years of sangas and 'black doctors' watching the beautiful game.
1. Joeys; overwhelmed by choice and very well-managed
2. Scots; great price and quality, however nothing at the lifeless centennial park
3. Kings; Blue & White cafe is very nice and the BBQ adjacent to doyle fields is perfect for brekky while watching the younger age groups play.
4. View; does the simple things well, a cracking BBQ run by the chatty Old Boys, however, not much choice besides the BBQ.
5. Shore; overpriced and the food is only solid, lines can get big quickly.
6. Newington; had a raw piece of bacon from the Stanmore boys, scared for life.

ItsNotPink

Darby Loudon (17)
The recent demise of this forum is extremely disappointing to a GPS old boy with a great interest in our great game and genuine belief that people want to know about GPS rugby. Despite the very best efforts of such genuine contributors as @Rudderless @Balmain Subbies @Goosestep @Quick Hands @rugbyAU @Joker and long time score reporter @brumbiesrugby just to name a few. So disappointing.

PROPaganda

Herbert Moran (7)
The recent demise of this forum is extremely disappointing to a GPS old boy with a great interest in our great game and genuine belief that people want to know about GPS rugby. Despite the very best efforts of such genuine contributors as @Rudderless @Balmain Subbies @Goosestep @Quick Hands @rugbyAU @Joker and long time score reporter @brumbiesrugby just to name a few. So disappointing.
Terrible stuff, I can only hope that this is just a 'schoolboy fad' and the forum returns to its former glory.

piesnfooty

Frank Row (1)
can someone please exile this "Joseph" person from the forum. The values and integrity of the forum are being compromised due to ones ignorance and lack of banter that is evidently god-awful chat.

Nom Nom,
Pies N Footy.

Really well said couldn't agree more. @cyclopath please let those who dare test the validity and seriousness of the forum face the wrath of the banhammer.

The_Lock

Bob McCowan (2)
@JuiceJohn6 clearly the people have had enough of you, whether you are school boy or not, your path of forum destruction shall not ensue, please stop posting so often or the ban hammer will swing.

Yours in speculation,
The Lock