• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Cleaner

Herbert Moran (7)
I would always select any boy who plays rugby, including players who also play and/or are contracted to league clubs. At the age of 16-18 the NRL offers are going to be minimum quadruple what the ARU can offer. Who can blame a kid (particularly if his parents are doing it tough) for taking the better offer.

BUT many of these players may end up back in the Wallabies ranks in future years like Joseph-Aukuso Sua'ali'i. Let’s say Sua'ali'i was blacklisted from playing GPS 1st XV, NSW schools and the victorious Australian Schools team. There is no way he would have later signed with the Wallabies. Those great experiences he had in rugby including beating NZ would have helped the ARU signing him.

We need these players who pick league or it may be another +20 years before we win a Bledisloe again , interestingly that game in 2002 we had 2/3 ex-NRL players and two other Wallabies sons who now play league (both for CIS).

It’s also little investment as the NRL club will pay, coach and train these players for free before they return one day like Sua'ali'i.
Sua’ali’i was “bought back” Don’t forget. He chose league first. I’d agree to respectfully disagree with your view point. I want to see the Wallabies back to their glory days That we have in common I suppose. Good evening.

runningrugbyrules

Ted Fahey (11)
Sua’ali’i was “bought back” Don’t forget. He chose league first. I’d agree to respectfully disagree with your view point. I want to see the Wallabies back to their glory days That we have in common I suppose. Good evening.
That’s the issue, without the league boys they’ll be no glory days unless rugby can secure billions in tv rights

Rooster79

Frank Row (1)
Was out at Bellevue Hill today watching Scots 1st and 2nds, the 2nds team is a team to be stopped. They just looked to good for View today. Great to see Scots 1st come together and play like a team today. MotM for 2nds Scots number 6 and for 1st Scots number 8.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Kings teams today

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpeg
    IMG_0247.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 599

Maul of Duty

Peter Burge (5)
When I woke this morning and looked at the forecast, I recalled your post and a chill ran up my spine. I knew that the limited tactical flexibility of the coaching team would be a major issue today. The belligerent insistance on only playing one way really bit us on the backside today. Well done to Kings, 3 and 5 were epic for them.
Throw in number 1 who made heaps of hard hitting tackles and big clean outs.

ItsNotPink

Alfred Walker (16)
3rd XV Round 1 Report
It was one of the wettest days ever for Round 1 of the 3rd XV competition but four teams made the most of it to post good wins.

Scots 3rd XV 17 d Joeys 3rd XV 12
Match of the round was a very close affair at Bellevue Hill and congratulations to Scots on a good first up win. OK, I did not pick this result, but the match really could have gone either way. Joeys just made too many mistakes with handling and lineouts in the wet. This win by Scots sets them up well as they embark on their title defense in 2024. They host Sydney Boys High the week after the long weekend in Round 2, while Joeys travel to Northbridge for another tough match against Shore.

Riverview 3rd XV 68 d High 1st XV 0
It's no surprise that Riverview put almost 70 points on High despite the conditions. It probably could have been more in the dry. I didn't see this game but I suspect it was very similar to the trial at Hunters Hill last week where High were comprehensively beaten despite their best efforts. It doesn't get any easier for High next round as they tackle Scots away, while Riverview travel to Grammer for what will be a really close match.

Grammar 1st XV 21 d Kings 3rd XV 10
I predicted this result as I think Grammar have had some very tough trials leading up to the competition. J. S White oval held up well (except for the cricket pitch) and Grammar would be very happy to take a win at Gowan Brae to open their campaign. They host Riverview next round and that will test them, while Kings travel to Armidale and that should be another great match.

Shore 3rd XV 17 d TAS 1st XV 0
I am pleased to report that this was a relatively close match at Northbridge. While TAS didn't open their scoring for the season, they have demonstrated that they will be competitive, especially at home in Armidale. Shore will be looking forward to hosting Joeys on 15 June and TAS will have their first home match against Kings and they are a good chance to win that one.

INP

Hero

Banned
3rd XV Round 1 Report
It was one of the wettest days ever for Round 1 of the 3rd XV competition but four teams made the most of it to post good wins.

Scots 3rd XV 17 d Joeys 3rd XV 12
Match of the round was a very close affair at Bellevue Hill and congratulations to Scots on a good first up win. OK, I did not pick this result, but the match really could have gone either way. Joeys just made too many mistakes with handling and lineouts in the wet. This win by Scots sets them up well as they embark on their title defense in 2024. They host Sydney Boys High the week after the long weekend in Round 2, while Joeys travel to Northbridge for another tough match against Shore.

Riverview 3rd XV 68 d High 1st XV 0
It's no surprise that Riverview put almost 70 points on High despite the conditions. It probably could have been more in the dry. I didn't see this game but I suspect it was very similar to the trial at Hunters Hill last week where High were comprehensively beaten despite their best efforts. It doesn't get any easier for High next round as they tackle Scots away, while Riverview travel to Grammer for what will be a really close match.

Grammar 1st XV 21 d Kings 3rd XV 10
I predicted this result as I think Grammar have had some very tough trials leading up to the competition. J. S White oval held up well (except for the cricket pitch) and Grammar would be very happy to take a win at Gowan Brae to open their campaign. They host Riverview next round and that will test them, while Kings travel to Armidale and that should be another great match.

Shore 3rd XV 17 d TAS 1st XV 0
I am pleased to report that this was a relatively close match at Northbridge. While TAS didn't open their scoring for the season, they have demonstrated that they will be competitive, especially at home in Armidale. Shore will be looking forward to hosting Joeys on 15 June and TAS will have their first home match against Kings and they are a good chance to win that one.

INP

Please Keep up the good work reporting brother. Any early premier predictions based off trial games and round 1?

DR H

Over and out

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
Saw this on the ISA forum. Thought I should bring it over.

BEST...SchoolImage
HOME GROUNDSt Josephs
They take great pride in their spiritual homeland and it shows. Drainage system is quality, plenty of seating for the away fans and the grass is always as green as it is on a golf course.
1717236823130.png
CANTEENShore
If you are arguing with this you are just plain wrong. World famous meat pies and the top selection of North Shore mums create the best canteen in the AAGPS. Egg and Bacon and Sausages are always quality with the dads on the BBQ. Unbeatable.
IMG_3119.jpg
1ST XV JERSEYSt Joseph’s
This one was tough, I like a few but nothing can go past the iconic cerise and blue. If I were to give specifics, I would say that Shore’s Indigenous Round Jersey is the best. But the colour scheme of the Hunters Hill boys is just too good to pass up.
1717236547716.png
AWAY TRIPKings
Probably not everyones first choice, but I always love getting out to Paramatta to slay the dragon that is Kings at Castle Greyskull. Massive place, Kings boys are always up on their feet and there is usually good rugby going on. St Joseph’s comes close, but you are often behind 50-0.
1717236743197.png
SUPPORTERSTIE (Shore and Riverview)
Both schools usually fill out their home stand plus more in their games. Shore have the loyalty, I remember the stand would be packed every week even though they knew it was going to be a bloodbath. Riverview are loud, they carry themselves with pride and often have the longest tunnel.
IMG_3120.jpg
IMG_3121.jpg
RIVALRYRiverview v St Joseph’s
Again pretty self-explanatory. Lots of history, the obvious religious backdrop and whenever these two sides get together it is always a fantastic game. Speaks for itself really. Scots v St Joseph’s and Shore v Kings would be the only two other ones in there.
1717247131420.png

(Crowd for the game)

ItsNotPink

Alfred Walker (16)
Please Keep up the good work reporting brother. Any early premier predictions based off trial games and round 1?

DR H

Over and out
The 3rd XV comp is a very hard competition to win if you lose a match as there are only seven games and no return matches. (Although Kings and Riverview were joint premiers two years ago with one loss each, so it's not impossible.)

Having said that, Scots were undefeated premiers last year and are looking good again. Shore have had great results so far and I think they are in the mix. Riverview look good. And Grammar very solid after some difficult trials. Of the teams that lost round 1, they will have to start winning matches immediately from next round. Joeys can do that, but have made the task more difficult after their loss to Scots. Kings have had a few consecutive losses - I am not sure this is their year in the 3rds. TAS will find it hard with the travel but will be competitive. And High unfortunately are simply not up to the current 3rd XV comp standard.

We will know more after Round 2 but that's a rough idea at this stage.

INP

Last edited: